Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Austin Riley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He quit on his team the last game by not helping them break the record. No thank you
    As did Acuna the inning before him. And, when Uzuna broke the record....do you know who the only Brave who wasn't in the dugout to congratulate him was?? Guess.
    Last edited by BabyElle; 10-04-2023 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    When I see Jesus hit the ball 121 MPH I’ll re-consider
    Are you trying to say that Jesus Christ can’t hit a curveball?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyElle View Post
    As did Acuna the inning before him. And, when Uzuna broke the record....do you know who the only Brave who wasn't in the dugout to congratulate him was?? Guess.
    Max Fried?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Max Fried?
    But max is pretty fly for a white guy
    Coppy

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Are you trying to say that Jesus Christ can’t hit a curveball?
    He’s nails against the straight stuff, but he’s never liked anything crooked.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Is that why my catholic school always told me to keep it straight. I way misread them on that.
    Coppy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-04-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    I heard it really crosses him up.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-04-2023), zbhargrove (10-05-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Max Fried?
    Nope. Not a pitcher. Your one and only who you idolize.....wonder why? Maybe he went to the bathroom.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Glad to see another clown show poster has emerged.

Acuna’s sprint speed is certainly odd, along with his poor defensive range. While his sprint speed has declined to barely above average, he has the most bolts on the team…which are sprints of 30+ ft/s over a 1 second interval.

So I’m going to hypothesize that Acuna still has grade 70 or better top end speed, but he dials it back a lot more often than most players. Since this metric encapsulates roughly 2/3 of all “competitive plays”, it stands to reason Acuna would not rate as well in this metric as a guy going full speed more often.

Should we care? Nope, for the same reason we shouldn’t care about SBs. Acuna main focus should be staying healthy and punishing baseballs. Everything else is just noise compared to the rest of his offensive value.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-04-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Glad to see another clown show poster has emerged.

Acuna’s sprint speed is certainly odd, along with his poor defensive range. While his sprint speed has declined to barely above average, he has the most bolts on the team…which are sprints of 30+ ft/s over a 1 second interval.

So I’m going to hypothesize that Acuna still has grade 70 or better top end speed, but he dials it back a lot more often than most players. Since this metric encapsulates roughly 2/3 of all “competitive plays”, it stands to reason Acuna would not rate as well in this metric as a guy going full speed more often.

Should we care? Nope, for the same reason we shouldn’t care about SBs. Acuna main focus should be staying healthy and punishing baseballs. Everything else is just noise compared to the rest of his offensive value.
    Finally, someone helped explain this to me. recognize his offense minus the SB and his somewhat lack of excellence in the outfield. I think his lack of range in the outfield is two things...sometimes it's a lack of hustle and other times just not really able to make the play.
    Last edited by BabyElle; 10-04-2023 at 10:52 PM.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    What old-timers like to call "hustle" is in many cases just wasted energy. If you want to play every game, like Acuna does, you can't go 100% on every single play. If him loafing on hopeless plays means he can stay fresher and avoid nagging injuries, I'm perfectly find with that. If it costs him a couple of infield hits, or a few balls drop in the outfield he may have been able to get to with an all-out play, so be it.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike3urout View Post
    What old-timers like to call "hustle" is in many cases just wasted energy. If you want to play every game, like Acuna does, you can't go 100% on every single play. If him loafing on hopeless plays means he can stay fresher and avoid nagging injuries, I'm perfectly find with that. If it costs him a couple of infield hits, or a few balls drop in the outfield he may have been able to get to with an all-out play, so be it.

I remember many years ago Henry Aaron was asked why he didn't sprint to first after a walk like Pete Rose. His response was "I use necessary hustle".

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JCarbo76 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-05-2023)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JCarbo76 View Post
    I remember many years ago Henry Aaron was asked why he didn't sprint to first after a walk like Pete Rose. His response was "I use necessary hustle".
    Sprinting to first after a walk is high on the list of lowest IQ plays

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Acuna's lack of "hustle" is likely mandated from the front office. When it's needed on the bases he shows you he's still a top end guy. We don't want him to end up like Griffey in his 30s

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (10-05-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JCarbo76 View Post
    Rose was a classy player who played the game the right way. Aaron was a bit lazy and I’m not sure he loved the game.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-05-2023), drewdat (10-05-2023)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Rose was a classy player who played the game the right way. Aaron was a bit lazy and I’m not sure he loved the game.
    You're qwhite right

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyElle View Post
    We would not have won the division without Riley and Olson or the rest of the team. But you would have thought that Acuna won it single handedly . The best thing this team could do for their future would be to trade Acuna for a 'Nolan Ryan' and a 'Mariano Rivera' although Acuna doesn't have enough trade power for two pitchers of that caliber. Doesn't really matter those kind of pitchers don't exist anymore.....The Braves have enough offense without him and pitching wins championships.....not offense
    Okay now I know you're trolling.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    I'd gladly donate to The Chosen One to purchase board software with an ignore function.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike3urout View Post
    Thie "hustle guys" like David Eckstein are generally the type that have below average natural talent, so they have to try harder than everyone else to make up for it. Chipper rarely hustled down to 1st. McCann too. I saw Freeman lollygag down to first plenty of times on a soft grounder to first.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Thie "hustle guys" like David Eckstein are generally the type that have below average natural talent, so they have to try harder than everyone else to make up for it. Chipper rarely hustled down to 1st. McCann too. I saw Freeman lollygag down to first plenty of times on a soft grounder to first.
    It's called being smart. Pick the spots where the hustle has a good chance to be rewarded. If all you're likely to get is cheers from the crowd, save the ATP for later.