Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Fix the Playoffs?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I agree, but our fans are the ones tossing garbage.
    Which is unacceptable, but then again when has Philly had a call go against them in a series like that, much less two in the same game? Let them have a BS call or two go against them in critical situations in CBP and watch how they behave.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I agree, but our fans are the ones tossing garbage.
    At least we don't toss batteries.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-09-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Which is unacceptable, but then again when has Philly had a call go against them in a series like that, much less two in the same game? Let them have a BS call or two go against them in critical situations in CBP and watch how they behave.
    They would absolutely do the same thing, even though the CI call was correct in the end.

I’m just annoyed their fans are so much louder and engaged than the Braves fans. It creates a legit advantage
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    They would absolutely do the same thing, even though the CI call was correct in the end.

I’m just annoyed their fans are so much louder and engaged than the Braves fans. It creates a legit advantage
    If the braves are tied or winning, it'll be a different story. It's easy to be rowdy when you winning

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post

I was at the game, so the only replays I saw were on the jumbotron. It didn't look like Murphy's glove moved at all...I can't imagine not seeing at least a slight movement if there was interference. But they were only showing one angle on all the in-stadium replays.

What about the Ozzie SB call overturn? It looked like the SS's glove hit dirt prior to making contact with the runner, allowing Ozzie to touch the base first.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If the braves are tied or winning, it'll be a different story. It's easy to be rowdy when you winning
    The crowd was fine early. Missed opportunities and the offense laying a complete egg sucked the life out of it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I was at the game, so the only replays I saw were on the jumbotron. It didn't look like Murphy's glove moved at all...I can't imagine not seeing at least a slight movement if there was interference. But they were only showing one angle on all the in-stadium replays.

What about the Ozzie SB call overturn? It looked like the SS's glove hit dirt prior to making contact with the runner, allowing Ozzie to touch the base first.
    Part of the extra lacing hanging off his glove was hit. Jomboy had a breakdown of it. Lame, it didn’t effect the swing, but technically is CI.

The Ozzie CS I’m less convinced on. I haven’t seen any angles showing it should be overturned.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-09-2023)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Option 1: LDS seven games
    Option 2: All LDS games at higher seed, combined with WC series going back and forth every game to force more travel.
    Option 3: Make the regular season mean something again. Two divisions each league, LCS and World Series.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Now you guys are defending deplorable behavior by claiming the umps wronged you.

Ozzie was out despite a single view not being clear. They use time synced composite views.

Murphy allowed part of his glove to be hit. The rule is as clear as day, and clearly broken no matter your feelings.

Get over it. Stop whining. That’s what losers do. Winners come back out the next day and stop hitting terribly.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    I had an idea for the playoffs and making it more fair. What about for every 5 games you finish the regular season behind your post season opponent you lose 1 home playoff game.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Now you guys are defending deplorable behavior by claiming the umps wronged you.
    Who is doing that…?
    Still don’t see why MLB can’t release those views.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

Ozzie was out despite a single view not being clear. They use time synced composite views.

Murphy allowed part of his glove to be hit. The rule is as clear as day, and clearly broken no matter your feelings.

Get over it. Stop whining. That’s what losers do. Winners come back out the next day and stop hitting terribly.
    I'll venmo you $500 right now if you can show me one post where I defended throwing trash on the field.

If it had been a one run game the calls could be a valid complaint. There are times when that makes the difference.

Letting a mediocre at best starting pitcher look like a Hall of Famer was definitely the more relevant issue.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I'll venmo you $500 right now if you can show me one post where I defended throwing trash on the field.

If it had been a one run game the calls could be a valid complaint. There are times when that makes the difference.

Letting a mediocre at best starting pitcher look like a Hall of Famer was definitely the more relevant issue.
    but then again when has Philly had a call go against them in a series like that, much less two in the same game?
    Sorry if that sounded like a “yeah but what about” to me.

I’m not here to argue semantics. I’m here in an attempt stop the conspiracy theory whining.

The umps are not against the Braves. The replay officials are not against the Braves. MLB is not against the Braves. The system was not devised to hinder the Braves.

The offense didn’t show up, and they lost. Anyone saying anything other than that is being nothing more than a sore loser.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Sorry if that sounded like a “yeah but what about” to me.

I’m not here to argue semantics. I’m here in an attempt stop the conspiracy theory whining.

The umps are not against the Braves. The replay officials are not against the Braves. MLB is not against the Braves. The system was not devised to hinder the Braves.

The offense didn’t show up, and they lost. Anyone saying anything other than that is being nothing more than a sore loser.
    Fair, I guess, but it was more of a "Philly fans are trash too...they just haven't had the controversial call to give them reason to show it yet" rather than condoning it.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I like the idea of tightening that bye-break by having the DS start the day after the first round. If you want a day off, win the first two. The DS should be all at the home team's stadium. And enough with all the off days in between these games. It's ridiculous. These playoffs need to be as tight as the regular season to favor the deeper teams. If you don't get a bye you may have to play in 8 in a row. This is done ALL THE TIME in the regular season.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-10-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I don't really care about reseeding. In fact it seems to give a WC team a 2 day off advantage if they win their series in 2 games and it takes the other team 3 games to win theirs.

IMO, keep the seeds how they are, but the WC round teams get no days off. Not even a travel day between the division series. That way the top 2 seeds only have, at most 3-4 days off between the end of regular season and game 1 of the NLDS. This also keeps the WC rounds teams from having a chance to reset their rotation or get an extra day to rest their BP. And no off days between game 1 and 2 of the NLDS either.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-10-2023 at 08:07 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't really care about reseeding. In fact it seems to give a WC team a 2 day off advantage if they win their series in 2 games and it takes the other team 3 games to win theirs.

IMO, keep the seeds how they are, but the WC round teams get no days off. Not even a travel day between the division series. That way the top 2 seeds only have, at most 3-4 days off between the end of regular season and game 1 of the NLDS. This also keeps the WC rounds teams from having a chance to reset their rotation or get an extra day to rest their BP. And no off days between game 1 and 2 of the NLDS either.
    This is me too... I initially thought reseeding, but I agree, I don't like the wait if another series goes all 3. The hard part is MLB and TV is going to want to have only 2 teams going in Division series each night. So the WC series would have to go Tuesday and the other on Wed. Then the Division series could start Friday and Sat. That still leaves a lot of days off for the bye team, but at least the WC team can't reset... I think this is the best option.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    The teams who received a bye this year are now 2-6 in the DS. Could have easily been 1-7 if not for the Braves miraculous comeback.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-10-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I like the idea of the wild card round lasting 2 days. You have a double header on day one and then a normal game on day 2 if needed. The day after that you start the division series. This gives a big advantage to the top seeded teams as they get to rest up for a couple of days and set their rotation while the wild card teams have their pitching staffs wrecked and don't get to throw either of their top 2 pitchers until probably game 3.

I also like the idea of playoff double headers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    This is me too... I initially thought reseeding, but I agree, I don't like the wait if another series goes all 3. The hard part is MLB and TV is going to want to have only 2 teams going in Division series each night. So the WC series would have to go Tuesday and the other on Wed. Then the Division series could start Friday and Sat. That still leaves a lot of days off for the bye team, but at least the WC team can't reset... I think this is the best option.
    In that scenario, Top 2 WC teams play first the day after the end of the season with no off days until after Game 2 o the NLDS. The lowest win NL Division winner gets a day off before starting their Wild card series and then no off days. That way the team with the best record still gets an advantage in terms of days off. I realize it's tough to schedule 4 playoff games on the same day for peak viewership. But if you start games at eastern times of 4, 6, 8, and 10 then I feel like viewership wouldn't really be that affected.