Page 154 of 209 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 4167

Thread: Official 2024 Off-Season Thread!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    People not wanting to pay the price (in trade) for a starter now wont like the price at the deadline either. Outside of Fried and Strider our rotation is a question mark. Unacceptable for a team in our position.
    Here’s the thing- we need about 12 pitchers to make this work - and of those 12 from Lavar on up, you gotta hope a few hit - like Fried and Strider and Wright and Ynoa and Soroka, and so on. Because they keep getting hurt and etc.
    If you trade two of your prospects for someone like Cease, and next year you gotta do it again. And again, and again, and all of a sudden you have no pitchers. So you gotta pay big cash for them - which might not be the best move- look what happened when the Mets signed the latest hot item from Japan and two Cy youngers in Verlander and Scherzer…..

OR grow them yourself. Seems to me, with your aforementioned 12 - to really make this work -youneed to buy ONE- Maybe TWO at most (We bought Charlie already. If we have the money for Snell, great - we’d all love that - but I quit sniffing glue) and then produce your other four internally - Strider in house already - so need three - and you can’t do that trading two of em for a quick fix like Cease or etc every year - so that’s why we don’t usually do that - right ?

So - hopefully we find a real weapon internally by August - and then if we still gotta hire a gun, well yeah it will cost more - but the potential payoff of keeping Wain-o this time would be worth it as opposed to sending him to the south side for example..

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-18-2023), jpx7 (12-18-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    This whole talk about windows is retarded. If your a playoff team the window is open. Any team that makes it can have a good month and win it all. The Rangers weren't exactly a team people beloved could win the WS. The Braves team that won it all was significantly worse than the one we have now. There's no reason we can't win playoff games that arent started by an ace level pitcher. The Phillies certainly didn't need a great third starter to shut us down. They did it with a guy with a 4+ ERA. We got a good young long term player for LF and added tremendous depth to the pen. We aren't going to win if the offense ****s the best no matter who the third starter is. We just have to trust they will score runs this time around.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-18-2023), Mrs. Meta (12-21-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Another comment about the oddness of this offseason. AA is buying lottery tickets, which isn’t something teams ever do in the middle of their peak contention years, so that’s likely why it’s a confusing strategy to most. To clarify, “confusing” does not mean I hate AA, Kelenic, or the Braves.
    ——————————————————
    Bill
    8:00 Am I the only one totally dazed and confused with all of the Braves AA trades and deals this off season?
    Mark P
    8:02 It's been quite the whirlwind, and frankly, I'm not sure the end result has been all that positive? Individually, the deals all make sense, yet the sum total of all these moves has added a pretty significant sum to Atlanta's payroll and tax number, without a ton of obvious gain on the roster.

Now, if Kelenic or if one of the lesser-known players like Ray Kerr breaks out, this will look like a much wiser move.
    I said the other day that AA will cement his genius status or he's lost his mind. I trust the guy completely, but he's certainly made me wonder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    People not wanting to pay the price (in trade) for a starter now wont like the price at the deadline either. Outside of Fried and Strider our rotation is a question mark. Unacceptable for a team in our position.

I am fine with paying a high price but not AJSS or Waldrep. Hopefully by mid season some of our other prospects will do well enough to be tradeable for a SP.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Morton and elder both projected 2.3 fWAR on zips.
    Elder regressed big time the 2nd half and more to what he actually is. Morton is 40 and didnt pitch at all in the post season last year.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    This whole talk about windows is retarded. If your a playoff team the window is open. Any team that makes it can have a good month and win it all. The Rangers weren't exactly a team people beloved could win the WS. The Braves team that won it all was significantly worse than the one we have now. There's no reason we can't win playoff games that arent started by an ace level pitcher. The Phillies certainly didn't need a great third starter to shut us down. They did it with a guy with a 4+ ERA. We got a good young long term player for LF and added tremendous depth to the pen. We aren't going to win if the offense ****s the best no matter who the third starter is. We just have to trust they will score runs this time around.
    Everybody here understand that but if you have player like Arcia and Ozuna that once the playoffs come in they **** their pants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Everybody here understand that but if you have player like Arcia and Ozuna that once the playoffs come in they **** their pants.
    Lol... the whole offense **** their pants in October with the exception of Riley man... Arcia as the 9th best hitter on a team is hard to beat

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I'd say it is, but therein lies differences of opinions. 'Shrug'
    What team has 3 font line starters? Please find this magical team.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Another comment about the oddness of this offseason. AA is buying lottery tickets, which isn’t something teams ever do in the middle of their peak contention years, so that’s likely why it’s a confusing strategy to most. To clarify, “confusing” does not mean I hate AA, Kelenic, or the Braves.
    ——————————————————
    Bill
    8:00 Am I the only one totally dazed and confused with all of the Braves AA trades and deals this off season?
    Mark P
    8:02 It's been quite the whirlwind, and frankly, I'm not sure the end result has been all that positive? Individually, the deals all make sense, yet the sum total of all these moves has added a pretty significant sum to Atlanta's payroll and tax number, without a ton of obvious gain on the roster.

Now, if Kelenic or if one of the lesser-known players like Ray Kerr breaks out, this will look like a much wiser move.
    I think it's simple. AA is using money (in the way of bad contracts) to acquire usefull pieces without giving up anybody useful on the farm. He's protecting a farm that was decimated by the international sanctions. Braves are an insanely stacked roster adding at the margins here.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-18-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post

The top 4 MVP vote getters in the NL **** the bed in the playoffs. Theres no team in baseball with better hitters on average per position than us. Wasting resources trying to upgrade positions that arent problems is a recipe to being a very bad team very quickly.

It’s over."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Elder regressed big time the 2nd half and more to what he actually is. Morton is 40 and didnt pitch at all in the post season last year.
    The projections incorporate those facts …
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Assessments of likelihood will vary, but the FO clearly banking on those players “breaking out,” which is why they see these as evidently wise moves (as opposed to moves made to merely throw crap at the metaphorical wall, which is what some commenters seem to believe is their plan).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    Maybe he sees AJSS or waldrep doing just that, and if they don't, he will address it at the deadline. We haven't even gotten to ST yet, so stressing on who starts game 3 in the playoffs seems premature
    Why is it premature? It’s the only thing that matters for this team. Winning 100 games and the division doesn’t matter.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    There is no set way to win a WS. A prime example is this year and ours 2 seasons ago. Basically the way to win is get in the playoffs and pray you get hot
    No ****. That doesn’t mean you don’t try and build the best team possible. There were/are a lot of options to strengthen a glaring weakness, not only for this season but for next. Not addressing it at all would be a mistake.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    Morton and elder both projected 2.3 fWAR on zips.
    Uh yeah, that’s not very good….

And when a pitcher inevitably gets hurt?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    What team has 3 font line starters? Please find this magical team.
    Oh ye of insane logic. If you don't think there is someone out there you'd have more confidence in pitching a game 3 series than Elder than that's your perogative. Frontline may not be the description to use but better than our 3's currently would not be a bad thing. There. Got it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Uh yeah, that’s not very good….

And when a pitcher inevitably gets hurt?
    That would be good for 34th and 35th this past season among starters. With fried and strider, why isn't that good enough for a 3 and 4?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    That would be good for 34th and 35th this past season among starters. With fried and strider, why isn't that good enough for a 3 and 4?
    That's qualifiers. Tied for 53rd among starters without qualifying

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I get that he wasn't going to keep up his first half performance, but he also hit a rookie wall.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    Taijuan Walker had 2.5 WAR last year and didn’t see a playoff inning. We saw exactly why Elder wasn’t good enough. I don’t care about the regular season.