Page 2 of 209 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 Off-Season Thread!

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Just a reminder to everyone that offseasons have gotten rather boring and there likely won't be much action before January - unless AA pulls a rabbit out of the hat again in mid-December.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    One thing about SP- I think AJSS probably gets a spot -
    Fried
    Strider
    Snell or best available
    AJSS
    Elder as a 5 ain’t end of world / one of the youngsters

Then as we’ve learned, need another seemingly ten more - preferably better than the likes of some of the ones we tried this year. Good news here is that we have a lot of potential down on the farm based on what Deest has posted. Love to see a couple more develop into TOR like we had with Avery and Glav. - yes, I know we already hit gold with Fried and Strider. :)

As for Hader - I’d really try to get him- but so will every other contender.

If we have 50M to play with, then we could sign some serious pieces.

Maybe we can get Diaz away from the Mets since they’ll be in full re- build :)

Regardless, whoever we sign better be able to play in October when it actually matters.
    We cannot blow this again like we did in the 1990s.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Pillar was the least of our concerns this year.

If AA had the time or free reign to make a change in the dugout it has to be now.

Were in the middle of the contention window with our talent being young, affordable, and core in tact.

Snitker and the old school coaches like Weiss, EY all need to go. Seitzer can stay.

But if we allow our talent to carry Snitker to another 100 win season and another division title just for another October upset next year, it’s going to be worse than Dave Roberts in LAD. And Roberts is actually a more competent manager.
    Forever Fredi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (10-13-2023)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    I don’t see the organization firing Brian Snitker at this point. I have every expectation of him returning. The one things is that he is getting to the age where a lot of managers decide to go ahead and call it a career. I have no indication that Snit will do so, but even in the likelihood he does return next season, he’s not going to have many more years. We shall see.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Just accept you will never be happy with the manager. Been a braves fan since 1990 and at no time was there not a large amount of the fanbases complaining the manager was holding us back. Many people couldn't wait for Bobby Cox to retire.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-13-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Ozzie goes to ball and strike camp until improvement shows
    Ivermectin Man

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (10-13-2023)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    My math is most likely not 100% correct here, but using Spotrac and some rough math, I'm counting $63 million off the books if Morton retires - $43 million if he doesn't and we pick up his option.

But you have to add in salary increases on the current extensions - Riley goes up $6 million, Murphy goes up $5 million and Olson goes up $1 million. Plus arb raises for Fried, Minter and potentially Nicky Lopez, among others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The other players on the roster minus Strider send Riley flowers all off-season sayin “we are sorry we weren’t there when you needed us”
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Just accept you will never be happy with the manager. Been a braves fan since 1990 and at no time was there not a large amount of the fanbases complaining the manager was holding us back. Many people couldn't wait for Bobby Cox to retire.
    You're correct. And look even the most praised managers like Dave Roberts and Kevin Cash flamed out in the playoffs this year. Roberts has a top payroll and best team almost every year and is a perennial loser in the playoffs. Where is that master tactician Gabe Kapler this year? I'm not a Snitker fan, he makes some very obvious blunders, but he does seem to have improved over the years, and I've learned to live with him since he's not going anywhere and the players seem to like him. Plus whoever we brought in to replace him would likely be criticized within the first few weeks on the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If the offseason doesn’t start with firing snitker it’s a failed offseason.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This is entirely stupid. Yeah he royally ****ed up Game 3 and I've never been madder at him, but did he also go swinging at dog**** almost every at bat, hang sliders, and not execute simple base-running?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Maybe AA can talk him into being a babysitter, and hire a bench coach that makes the moves for snit. If snit won't go for it, offer him retirement. If he won't, oh well... we moved on FF and Swanson, the fans will still come

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    This is entirely stupid. Yeah he royally ****ed up Game 3 and I've never been madder at him, but did he also go swinging at dog**** almost every at bat, hang sliders, and not execute simple base-running?
    This is 2 years in a row he butchered pivotal game 3. This team is built to win now... bats go cold sometimes, but good decisions should never go cold in the playoffs

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-13-2023), Super (10-13-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Ozzie goes to ball and strike camp until improvement shows
    But he hit 30+ homers over the course of 162 so that's all that matters. No reason to improve. Like I said, it's a team full of shoulder shruggers minus maybe a couple of guys. No sense of urgency or self-examination to get better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This is 2 years in a row he butchered pivotal game 3. This team is built to win now... bats go cold sometimes, but good decisions should never go cold in the playoffs
    I think he needs to be sat down and talked to. I think the coaching staff needs to learn from the Philly coaching staff. But firing him is not going to change that we get the same lifeless performance almost every October with 1-2 obvious exceptions.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    But he hit 30+ homers over the course of 162 so that's all that matters. No reason to improve. Like I said, it's a team full of shoulder shruggers minus maybe a couple of guys. No sense of urgency or self-examination to get better.
    The dumbest shyt is crying about Ozzie when the entire team shat the bed. Ozzie had a pulse at least. You AA apologists (and yes..he's a very good GM) may want to revisit the failed deadline starting pitcher acquisition or lack thereof, the fossil thoughts of the manager and general soft nature of the club including a ghost offense. Bad series to be sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    The dumbest shyt is crying about Ozzie when the entire team shat the bed. Ozzie had a pulse at least. You AA apologists (and yes..he's a very good GM) may want to revisit the failed deadline starting pitcher acquisition or lack thereof, the fossil thoughts of the manager and general soft nature of the club including a ghost offense. Bad series to be sure.
    I'm having a hard time blaming pitching when we lost 2 games only giving up 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    This one isn’t on AA. The guys just didn’t hit. If we would have hit the whole series we’d be the ones celebrating. Morton going down probably cost us game 3 and not winning Striders 1st game. AA knows when to cut bait so Morton’s time is up hopefully and we can get a younger more reliable starter. Wright is done and Soroka can’t be counted on at all. Elder at #5 is fine but that’s where he belongs. Fried is as good as gone after next year so his replacement will probably be gotten this offseason so we aren’t bent over a barrel next offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    It was just a comment to a post about one player. I've called out the entire team multiple times. He's not the same one that does the same stupid **** with no awareness of the situation. Rosario at the top of the list.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    This one isn’t on AA. The guys just didn’t hit. If we would have hit the whole series we’d be the ones celebrating. Morton going down probably cost us game 3 and not winning Striders 1st game. AA knows when to cut bait so Morton’s time is up hopefully and we can get a younger more reliable starter. Wright is done and Soroka can’t be counted on at all. Elder at #5 is fine but that’s where he belongs. Fried is as good as gone after next year so his replacement will probably be gotten this offseason so we aren’t bent over a barrel next offseason.

What isn’t being mentioned about Fried is the elbow injury he had this season that shut him down for a few months. How many pictures this season had a forearm strain that turned into Tommy John? I know it can happen at any point for any pitcher but Max seems to be at increased risk.
    Get off my lawn!