Page 3 of 209 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 Off-Season Thread!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Braves should have $35M up to ~$50M depending how much they are willing to exceed the cap, assuming they dump McHugh. The best use of funds is likely to keep Rosario for $9M, and add a higher quality RHH OFer line Grichuk. Then get the best SP the FO can afford.

Then make another run at the title.
    I realize there are not a ton of great options for LF and 9 million isn't a substantial amount, but Rosario was barely league average offensively and he's pretty crappy defensively. At 32 years old, I find it unlikely he comes close to even repeating this season. In short, it's time to move on.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    This one isn’t on AA. The guys just didn’t hit. If we would have hit the whole series we’d be the ones celebrating. Morton going down probably cost us game 3 and not winning Striders 1st game. AA knows when to cut bait so Morton’s time is up hopefully and we can get a younger more reliable starter. Wright is done and Soroka can’t be counted on at all. Elder at #5 is fine but that’s where he belongs. Fried is as good as gone after next year so his replacement will probably be gotten this offseason so we aren’t bent over a barrel next offseason.
    I beg to differ. There hasn’t been one season where Max hasn’t been hurt to some extent. As a matter of fact, the entire staff, with the exception of strider was a question regarding health. And while I agree with the argument that the pitching with strider and fried only gave up a few runs, it still would’ve been nice not to have played a game where Bryce Elder was the best you could do in such a pivotal game. And I’m not knocking the guy, but I just didn’t think it was a great idea to have him as the best option in a must win the game in the playoffs.

There is culpability there and no I'm not laying it all at AA'S feet. There is enough blame for all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Just accept you will never be happy with the manager. Been a braves fan since 1990 and at no time was there not a large amount of the fanbases complaining the manager was holding us back. Many people couldn't wait for Bobby Cox to retire.
    The problem is they hired two consecutive managers from the Bobby Cox managerial tree. They are all dinosaurs whose main selling point is that the players like them.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I'd rather bring in Heyward and a right-handed hitting LF who can play solid defense if we're not going to go out and trade for an everyday guy.

Load up on as many "good stuff" "high velocity" "high leverage" bullpen arms as you can because some are going to get hurt and some are going to underperform.

Get the best starting pitcher available and then another mid-rotation guy potentially. Fried has proven to be an injury risk. Charlie might retire and even if he doesn't, he's an injury risk. As hard as he throws, Strider is always a risk. Elder is a serviceable 4/5 and shouldn't be starting a postseason game. Wright is out. AJSS has great potential but can't be looked at as a sure thing. If he's still around, Soroka has to figure things out and probably won't ever be the same. Anderson won't be ready for the start of the year and can't be counted on. Vines might have to be used in a trade to address other gaps. Shuster and Dodd are filler. Waldrep has potential but needs more seasoning in the minors. Ynoa to the rescue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The problem is they hired two consecutive managers from the Bobby Cox managerial tree. They are all dinosaurs whose main selling point is that the players like them.
    Let's start compiling some names then. DeRosa? Kapler? Counsell? McCann?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Arcia really showed his ass this past week. I like him and it’s a great contract that allows us to invest money in other places, but he embarassed the team yesterday. At some point, a change at SS might become warranted.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (10-13-2023), DirkPiggler (10-13-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Sonny Gray had an interview the other day regarding his free agency and gave the perverbial “it’s not about the money for me in free agency, but I do want valued appropriately “
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    You're correct. And look even the most praised managers like Dave Roberts and Kevin Cash flamed out in the playoffs this year. Roberts has a top payroll and best team almost every year and is a perennial loser in the playoffs. Where is that master tactician Gabe Kapler this year? I'm not a Snitker fan, he makes some very obvious blunders, but he does seem to have improved over the years, and I've learned to live with him since he's not going anywhere and the players seem to like him. Plus whoever we brought in to replace him would likely be criticized within the first few weeks on the job.
    Even the best managers aren't going to win every year. There are things outside of their control that help to determine a short playoff series. But when a manager consistently makes poor decisions in terms of BP and bench usage, something has got to be done. Literally every single person in the world knew it was a mistake to leave Elder in vs Harper. I was yelling it at my TV. He then proceeds to bring in his worst reliever behind him who immediately gives up a double. And it's not like we haven't seen this story before. It's just unconscionable that we would allow Snit to continue managing this team after this **** show.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I'd rather bring in Heyward and a right-handed hitting LF who can play solid defense if we're not going to go out and trade for an everyday guy.

Load up on as many "good stuff" "high velocity" "high leverage" bullpen arms as you can because some are going to get hurt and some are going to underperform.

Get the best starting pitcher available and then another mid-rotation guy potentially. Fried has proven to be an injury risk. Charlie might retire and even if he doesn't, he's an injury risk. As hard as he throws, Strider is always a risk. Elder is a serviceable 4/5 and shouldn't be starting a postseason game. Wright is out. AJSS has great potential but can't be looked at as a sure thing. If he's still around, Soroka has to figure things out and probably won't ever be the same. Anderson won't be ready for the start of the year and can't be counted on. Vines might have to be used in a trade to address other gaps. Shuster and Dodd are filler. Waldrep has potential but needs more seasoning in the minors. Ynoa to the rescue?
    Obviously I could be wrong but if I were betting on one of Rosario or Heyward to replicate or exceed their 2023 performance I think I'd have to go with Eddie. Neither has been consistent, but Eddie seems to have a little less variance between his peaks and valleys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Let's start compiling some names then. DeRosa? Kapler? Counsell? McCann?
    Rocco Baldelli would be my preferred option, but I don't see any way that the Twins fire him at this point.

I feel like there is no way McCann is analytically minded.

I like Counsell too, but he's still the Brewers manager right now.

I don't mind Kapler's managerial style. But Kapler is super liberal politically and vocal about political events. While political affiliation shouldn't matter, it does matter to fans. I can only imagine the fan outcry the first time he doesn't stand for the national anthem or makes a politically inflamed comment. Just seems like a complete mismatch culturally and trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

DeRosa would be a bit risky, but something I would be open to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Snit ain't going anywhere.
    Ivermectin Man

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Every year we throw out the top names of available free agents. AA rarely goes that direction because those guys rarely represent the best value. He will kick the tires on the top guys, but rarely have the winning bid.

AA is a value guy. I expect when names do start coming up, we will have to look them up to find that they are great value for the price. We will have heard of them, but they will not likely be the guys we are talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Obviously I could be wrong but if I were betting on one of Rosario or Heyward to replicate or exceed their 2023 performance I think I'd have to go with Eddie. Neither has been consistent, but Eddie seems to have a little less variance between his peaks and valleys.
    I'll honestly take the glove at this point. I'm tired of watching Rosario try to play left field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Rocco Baldelli would be my preferred option, but I don't see any way that the Twins fire him at this point.

I feel like there is no way McCann is analytically minded.

I like Counsell too, but he's still the Brewers manager right now.

I don't mind Kapler's managerial style. But Kapler is super liberal politically and vocal about political events. While political affiliation shouldn't matter, it does matter to fans. I can only imagine the fan outcry the first time he doesn't stand for the national anthem or makes a politically inflamed comment. Just seems like a complete mismatch culturally and trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

DeRosa would be a bit risky, but something I would be open to.
    And so what's the answer when the team keeps coming up short in the playoffs because they can't rise to the moment?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

I can get behind this. Heyward is, imo, the best of all the FA options. Bring in Heyward and Duvie to split LF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I can get behind this. Heyward is, imo, the best of all the FA options. Bring in Heyward and Duvie to split LF.
    I could live with this as long as we're getting strong production from the parts of the lineup where we need it. We don't need an offensive savior, but bad defense shows up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    And so what's the answer when the team keeps coming up short in the playoffs because they can't rise to the moment?
    Again, I don't blame the poor performance solely at Snit's feet. But 2 straight post-seasons in a row Snit's terrible decision making has forced us into bad situations in game we ultimately lost. And it isn't like they are difficult decisions. It is 100% unacceptable that we allow a manager's poor decisions to have large impacts on the game. The Phillies made the right decision time and time again this series in regards to pitching decisions. It isn't a difficult thing to do. It's honestly a skill to be this poor an in game management.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    There is no answer. The Dodgers are the model organization, are great every season, have the model manager in Dave Roberts, and can't seem to rise up to the moment every post season either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Again, I don't blame the poor performance solely at Snit's feet. But 2 straight post-seasons in a row Snit's terrible decision making has forced us into bad situations in game we ultimately lost. And it isn't like they are difficult decisions. It is 100% unacceptable that we allow a manager's poor decisions to have large impacts on the game. The Phillies made the right decision time and time again this series in regards to pitching decisions. It isn't a difficult thing to do. It's honestly a skill to be this poor an in game management.
    I think they're going to have to bear hug him a little, even a lot tighter. It would be ideal if we could really focus on building a deep roster with a flexible bench that can get the regulars more rest over the course of the season and then start ramping the everyday guys up in mid-September. If we don't win the division, so be it, but get to the playoffs and be clicking at the end of the year.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    There is no answer. The Dodgers are the model organization, are great every season, have the model manager in Dave Roberts, and can't seem to rise up to the moment every post season either.
    That's not entirely fair though.

Doc has been the Dodgers manager for 8 seasons now. They've gone to the world series 3x in that span (going up against the 2017 Stros and 2018 Sox, both of whom had scandals for cheating) and also made it to the LCS an additional time.

Doc has had to deal with the same things Snit has had to deal with the last two playoffs. New format. LAD teams also have not been as talented as they were 5-6 years ago. You can argue Doc maximized his roster this regular season better than we did, as our roster is way better than theirs overall.

The last two seasons, Snit has had the two most talented teams constructed for him than he's had his entire tenure here. And we played arguably worse in those two NLDS than we did in 2018, 2019, 2020.
    Forever Fredi