Page 205 of 209 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,100 of 4167

Thread: Official 2024 Off-Season Thread!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    However, they clearly wanted Duvall, his price dropped, and platooning is the pretense under which he was happy to return.
    Precisely what most likely happened.

Questions answered.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Again, the reading comprehension problem persists.

I didn't question the move. In fact, you can very easily find quotes of me saying the deal itself is perfectly fine.

I questioned the decision making process behind the moves. I questioned why the narrative went from "there are no PAs for bench players" to "Duvall will platoon in LF" over the course of 30 Kelenic ST PAs. The answer to those questions seems to be that they felt Duvall was now a good enough deal to warrant forcing a platoon in LF. So great, questions answered.

So please...PLEASE...learn to read. Read things slowly. Ask clarifying questions if you need. But stop the pathetic attempts to get me in a "gotcha" moment. You aren't smart enough to pull it off.
    Agree. It's not the end of the journey (which is satisfying). It was the journey itself that was a bit confusing.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Agree. It's not the end of the journey (which is satisfying). It was the journey itself that was a bit confusing.
    I don’t even think the journey is that confusing: the Braves, under Anthopoulos, simply don’t like telegraphing their hand until they have to. So they were happy to give Kelenic (a specific player they targeted) all the PAs in LF until a better option came along. And then, when Duvall (another specific player they’ve targeted) became an option at a palatable price, they were happy to give Kelenic’s LHP PAs to Duvall to seal the deal.

It can be frustrating for us, as fans and amateur analysts, to not get full and instantaneous access to the sausage recipe—I, like Enscheff, don’t understand why Grichuk wasn’t an option for this team—but they’ve shown, for better or worse, this is how their sausage gets made.
    Last edited by jpx7; 03-19-2024 at 06:09 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (03-20-2024), JohnAdcox (03-20-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I love it when people string together random statements made over months, conflate it with rumors and media speculation, and then treat the amalgam like it was testimony given under oath.

Aha!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    The fact that we are not aware of the rationale and thought process driving these moves does not mean AA doesn’t have them.

We don’t know why Grichuk was not signed. However, I strongly suspect that it was not because of benign neglect, or because AA didn’t think of him.

I think AA has earned the benefit of the doubt, at least for the time being.

I can hardly wait for the meltdown if the team gets off to a slow start to begin the season.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-19-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Why is the first game in a foreign country that starts in the U.S. before daylight?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Meanwhile, Anthopoulos is well set-up with FA options next year that won’t have QOs attached, thanks to all these Boras Specials being signed this spring.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Why is the first game in a foreign country that starts in the U.S. before daylight?
    Dodgers and giants opened in Australia a few years ago.

Mariners and A's opened in Tokyo for ichiro
    Forever Fredi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-19-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-20-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    The fact that we are not aware of the rationale and thought process driving these moves does not mean AA doesn’t have them.

We don’t know why Grichuk was not signed. However, I strongly suspect that it was not because of benign neglect, or because AA didn’t think of him.

I think AA has earned the benefit of the doubt, at least for the time being.

I can hardly wait for the meltdown if the team gets off to a slow start to begin the season.
    AA may be the best GM in the game, but he is not infallible.

I do believe the Duvall signing was some combination of his price dropping, plus the team being spooked by Kelenic being terrible in ST, and Acuna’s injury scare. How much each piece of that trifecta influenced the acquisition is certainly open for debate, but the fact there was any sudden realization that the Braves carry risk in the OF was what concerned me.

And no, “the plan” was not to wait for a specific player’s price to drop to $3M. Perhaps the plan was to grab a better 27th man off another team, and Duvall just happened to be sitting around unemployed in mid March, but there’s no way AA was just sitting there waiting for Duvall’s price to drop and spoon feeding everyone the “Kelenic is the everyday LFer” to keep everyone off the scent.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-22-2024)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Meanwhile, Anthopoulos is well set-up with FA options next year that won’t have QOs attached, thanks to all these Boras Specials being signed this spring.
    Plus we're like 70M off the first luxury tax threshold, with a ton of money off the books. With the only real needs being SP really, and probably some BP depth. But if AA wants to get crazy, he could make a splash at LF and DH if he gets rid of Ozuna and Kelenic doesnt show anything.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-20-2024)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Who knows if his body will hold out but he has a higher chance than anyone I've ever seen to join the 500/500 club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I feel like its only a matter of time before he is missing significant games with chronic knee problems. I dont know how long but I think we will at some point regret his next contract if he does sign it with us.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I feel like its only a matter of time before he is missing significant games with chronic knee problems. I dont know how long but I think we will at some point regret his next contract if he does sign it with us.
    He's already a below average OFer defensively, so he may end up being the next DH. It's going to make casual fans riot because they confuse arm strength with defensive value (remember how Camargo was considered to be a great SS?), but if his range continues to deteriorate he may be unplayable in the OF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Again, the reading comprehension problem persists.

I didn't question the move. In fact, you can very easily find quotes of me saying the deal itself is perfectly fine.

I questioned the decision making process behind the moves. I questioned why the narrative went from "there are no PAs for bench players" to "Duvall will platoon in LF" over the course of 30 Kelenic ST PAs. The answer to those questions seems to be that they felt Duvall was now a good enough deal to warrant forcing a platoon in LF. So great, questions answered.

So please...PLEASE...learn to read. Read things slowly. Ask clarifying questions if you need. But stop the pathetic attempts to get me in a "gotcha" moment. You aren't smart enough to pull it off.
    I think the bigger issue is that you felt it necessary to have a mini freak out over the signing/intended usage of Adam friggin Duvall. As if it was some indictment against our decision making ability.
    Last edited by Carp; 03-20-2024 at 11:47 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think the bigger issue is that you felt it necessary to have a mini freak out over the signing/intended usage of Adam friggin Duvall. As if it was some indictment against our decision making ability.
    First, drop the "our". You had nothing to do with anything the Braves did or have ever done. This is likely why you took my criticism of the move so personally. You are not part of the Braves organization. My comments had nothing to do with you personally, so why take offense?

If the FO just now realized Kelenic may be terrible, and Acuna may have knee issues, then that's an issue. Unless you believe the only reason Duvall was signed was because his price suddently dropped, those realizations played some part in his acquisition, and that's a problem. The fact 30 ST PAs from Kelenic spooked the FO is an issue, The fact some inflammation in Acuna's knee spooked the FO is an issue. Those issues may not have been the complete reason for signing Duvall, but they certainly contributed, and that was the issue I had with the series of events...and I explained that clearly at least 5 times now.

I can't explain it in any simpler terms, and some posters understand exactly what I'm saying. If you're not one of them just move along and continue worrying about simpler topics...like the uniform lettering.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-20-2024 at 12:10 PM.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    I’ll let the Braves FO worry about the decisions they make for this club. I’m just happy we have Duvy again. I couldn’t care about the reasons if he simply makes team better.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-20-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    First, drop the "our". You had nothing to do with anything the Braves did or have ever done. This is likely why you took my criticism of the move so personally. You are not part of the Braves organization. My comments had nothing to do with you personally, so why take offense?

If the FO just now realized Kelenic may be terrible, and Acuna may have knee issues, then that's an issue. Unless you believe the only reason Duvall was signed was because his price suddently dropped, those realizations played some part in his acquisition, and that's a problem. The fact 30 ST PAs from Kelenic spooked the FO is an issue, The fact some inflammation in Acuna's knee spooked the FO is an issue. Those issues may not have been the complete reason for signing Duvall, but they certainly contributed, and that was the issue I had with the series of events...and I explained that clearly at least 5 times now.

I can't explain it in any simpler terms, and some posters understand exactly what I'm saying. If you're not one of them just move along and continue worrying about simpler topics...like the uniform lettering.
    First off, it matters not to me what your irrelevant views are on using the term "our" when referring to a sports team. The Braves are the team I root for. I invest a lot of time and money rooting for them. In essence, I am "invested" in the success of the Braves. It's completely reasonable that anyone uses the term "our" when referring to their favorite team. Would you be happier if I went out and purchased 1 share of the Braves? Could I use term "our" when referring to the Braves since I would literally own a portion of the team?

And the only thing I take issue with is your constant complaining about every thing and everyone recently, as well as your clear superiority complex. We get it. You think you're the smartest man in the room. There's no need to keep trying to prove it to everyone. But quite clearly, I am not the only one growing tired of the schtick.

Secondly (and more to the point), neither of those are "issues" worth freaking out over. Our interest in Adam Duvall or any other option we might have been looking at, was purely as an insurance policy and to deepen the roster. Even if the Braves only suddenly realized a week ago that they needed a better insurance policy, we are talking about Adam Duvall for 3 million dollars. Why you think his signing is somehow majorly significant in any way is a little ridiculous, which is the point everyone has been trying to make.

Being critical of the moves AA makes is completely fine. But acting like we need to seriously question the Braves decision making ability after signing Adam Duvall for 3 million is ... well... over the top.
    Last edited by Carp; 03-20-2024 at 04:21 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    When this is your take regarding the signing of Duvall for 3 million, you deserve all the criticism coming your way:

This Duvall signing has all the trademarks of a clown show panic signing by a group caught off guard by the idea that Kelenic may flop, and/or Acuna may reinjure the knee trying to steal 100 bases. Which, by the way, are ALL risks I detailed months ago when spelling out the need for someone like Grichuk. And now, the Braves finally got a lesser more expensive version of the exact player I was pounding the table to acquire. So yeah...great work fellas, you finally realized something posters on an internet forum knew months ago.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Garmel (03-20-2024), mossy (03-20-2024), thethe (03-20-2024), zbhargrove (03-21-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    And thats what I am talking about. You can voice your opinion without all that unnecessary stuff.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.