Page 202 of 209 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 4167

Thread: Official 2024 Off-Season Thread!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am just glad the braves got someone. Not going to really panic that a part time player might be slightly worse than player Y. I am way more concerned on managing of said player than if this weak side platoon is marginally worse.
    I'm more concerned with the 15 decisions that were made before a panic buy of Duvall occurred. It was not a mystery the Braves needed a legit 4th OFer to protect against the risk in the OF.

Anyone caught off guard by the idea Kelenic may flop, or Acuna's knee is a risk should be...talked to sternly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-15-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Oh wow, guys....we just learned Kelenic may not be good and Acuna may have future knee issues after major surgery!

We didn't know this 3 weeks ago when the superior 4th OFer signed for $2M, so we better run out and panic buy the lesser 4th OFer for $3M!!

Good job guys! That was a tricky lesson to learn, even though forum posters understood it months ago!

Whew...now that we learned so much and did such a great job, let's head to the Waffle House to celebrate!!
    It's entirely possible we simply didn't want Grichuk, no matter the price. Or it's entirely possible Grichuk didn't want to play here. It's also entirely possible we really like Duvie but were comfortable with the team we had to not spend the 5-10 million he was likely asking for earlier in the off-season. But when his price tag dropped, we thought he was too good a value to pass up.

Also, I am not sure how or why you think Grichuk is a better player than Duvie.
    Last edited by Carp; 03-15-2024 at 10:09 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-15-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’m guessing that familiarity played a big roll in Duval also. They know him pretty well and like him. I think Duval is just insurance in case Acuna needs a few days off here or there and Kelenic plays like crap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It's entirely possible we simply didn't want Grichuk, no matter the price. Or it's entirely possible Grichuk didn't want to play here. It's also entirely possible we really like Duvie but were comfortable with the team we had to not spend the 5-10 million he was likely asking for earlier in the off-season. But when his price tag dropped, we thought he was too good a value to pass up.

Well, I literally posted the stats that show Gruchuk is a much better hitter vs LHP than Duvall, which is literally the role they both fill on their respective roster. So I guess it's up to you to decide if those stats show what everyone around the sport agrees they show.

If not, maybe you have come up with other stats to prove who is better vs LHP?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’m guessing that familiarity played a big roll in Duval also. They know him pretty well and like him. I think Duval is just insurance in case Acuna needs a few days off here or there and Kelenic plays like crap.
    I'm guessing that Duvall will hit a HR late in a game and will become the starter with the $26M Kelenic pushed to the bench...wasting all chances of him progressing to what everyone hopes he can become.

But this is a good point. If Duvall is more Acuna insurance than Kelenic platoon partner, it makes sense to go with the better all around hitter...which is definitely Duvall. But again...Acuna's knee was always a risk...it should not be a new revelation.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-15-2024 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I'm guessing that Duvall will hit a HR late in a game and will become the starter with the $26M Kelenic pushed to the bench...wasting all chances of him progressing to what everyone hopes he can become.

But this is a good point. If Duvall is more Acuna insurance than Kelenic platoon partner, it makes sense to go with the better all around hitter...which is definitely Duvall. But again...Acuna's knee was always a risk...it should not be a new revelation.
    Or it could be that Duvall was looking for $5 million plus earlier in the off season and the Braves probably had this offer on the table for months… when he realized he wasn’t going to get what he wanted, maybe he went back to the Braves and said, “that deal still on the table?”

The thing is, we don’t really know how it all went down and I think you’re getting weirdly emotional about this move and just relying on a ton of assumptions

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-15-2024), jpx7 (03-15-2024), thethe (03-15-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Maybe.

I think it's the fear that Kelenic may be a flop, and Acuna's knee may actually be injured that's getting to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    If they changed Kelenic's stance, wouldn't it make more sense to start him in AAA to get PAs every day?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Well, I literally posted the stats that show Gruchuk is a much better hitter vs LHP than Duvall, which is literally the role they both fill on their respective roster. So I guess it's up to you to decide if those stats show what everyone around the sport agrees they show.

If not, maybe you have come up with other stats to prove who is better vs LHP?
    Then I guess the next question is, how much playing time are you expecting for each guy? Because Grichuk is unplayable vs RHP, which represents ~75% of the pitchers in baseball. Duvall represents a better all around player, and in the event someone gets injured, he is an acceptable starter.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-15-2024), zedsdead (03-16-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Or it could be that Duvall was looking for $5 million plus earlier in the off season and the Braves probably had this offer on the table for months… when he realized he wasn’t going to get what he wanted, maybe he went back to the Braves and said, “that deal still on the table?”

The thing is, we don’t really know how it all went down and I think you’re getting weirdly emotional about this move and just relying on a ton of assumptions
    Exactly. Overreacting to signing Duvall is a new level of weird.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

thethe (03-15-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Exactly. Overreacting to signing Duvall is a new level of weird.
    Very.

Braves filled a need for a 4th OF and the conclusion is that the best GM in baseball didn’t foresee Kelenic being bad or Acuna getting hurt, but message posters knew this months ago lol.

It’s fine to evaluate the decision to sign Duvall the player. It’s silly to posture the reason why he was signed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Very.

Braves filled a need for a 4th OF and the conclusion is that the best GM in baseball didn’t foresee Kelenic being bad or Acuna getting hurt, but message posters knew this months ago lol.

It’s fine to evaluate the decision to sign Duvall the player. It’s silly to posture the reason why he was signed.
    Yup - Its jsut more of the same.....
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If they changed Kelenic's stance, wouldn't it make more sense to start him in AAA to get PAs every day?
    Or that they want to be patient with him and let him see only righties early on.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Then I guess the next question is, how much playing time are you expecting for each guy? Because Grichuk is unplayable vs RHP, which represents ~75% of the pitchers in baseball. Duvall represents a better all around player, and in the event someone gets injured, he is an acceptable starter.
    Indeed. So if the Braves went from, "we don't have any PAs to give a 4th OFer", to, "uh oh, we better have a potential everyday guy on the bench", over the course of 3 weeks during ST...what changed?

They just realized Kelenic may not be good? They just realized Acuna's knee is a risk? These things weren't known months ago?

Maybe it was as simple as Duvall's asking price finally dropping enough to fit in the budget as a bench piece, or a combination of all 3.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Indeed. So if the Braves went from, "we don't have any PAs to give a 4th OFer", to, "uh oh, we better have a potential everyday guy on the bench", over the course of 3 weeks during ST...what changed?

They just realized Kelenic may not be good? They just realized Acuna's knee is a risk? These things weren't known months ago?

Maybe it was as simple as Duvall's asking price finally dropping enough to fit in the budget as a bench piece, or a combination of all 3.
    It seems pretty obvious the budget dictated a lot of this. We are/were around 7ish million below the next tax threshold. We also know that AA likes to leave enough money in the budget to make mid-season trades when necessary. This would suggest we weren't looking to add anyone for more than 2-3 million that Duvall eventually signed for. Acuna's injury scare could have played a part in this, but it seems more likely that we were being a bit frugal with the remaining budget.

And reports in January were that the Red Sox and the Angels were supposedly in a "bidding war" for Duvall's services. Now it seems that both teams moved on and he overplayed his market.
    Last edited by Carp; 03-15-2024 at 12:37 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-15-2024)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I mean Duvall can’t be too upset. He is getting 3 million to watch a great team play every night. Tuck twit in every game for his nap. And flail away for about 100 plate appearances when twit forgets to turn in the permanent marker lineup.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts

I think we as a fan base need to finally come to terms with that not every player wants to play in Atlanta. Swanson clearly didn't even if it was his "hometown" team. I think we are about to learn Max feels the same.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Grichuk owns a Braves jacket and 2 Braves hats. He wanted to be a Brave.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-15-2024), Tapate50 (03-15-2024)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Maybe.

I think it's the fear that Kelenic may be a flop, and Acuna's knee may actually be injured that's getting to me.
    Yeah, same here...being as I just drafted Ronnie #1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts

I think your big mistake here is taking anything the Braves or front office is saying in public without a massive grain of salt
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 03-15-2024 at 02:17 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-16-2024)