Page 197 of 209 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 4167

Thread: Official 2024 Off-Season Thread!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Snell isnt signed because he isnt taking the offer of the highest bidder, not because teams arent interested. Its not crazy considering who his agent is. Its something I think a lot of people could have guessed considering Borass lives in a world where Oliver Perez is comparable to Johan Santana.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I am hearing Acuna's 12 year old brother Kenny has verbally committed to the Phillies.

It’s over."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I am hearing Acuna's 12 year old brother Kenny has verbally committed to the Phillies.
    Acuna family gonna run the East?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Everyone gets an Acuna. The Marlins and Nats only count as half a team so they will have to share one.

It’s over."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Sky Bolt OF signed a minor league contract today.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    Sky Bolt OF signed a minor league contract today.
    I saw his name in the box score today. So either his parents hate him naming him Skye or that is a bad nickname.
    Coppy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-06-2024)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    gNats sign Eddie Rosario

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    He must be slow or they would have nicknamed him lightning.

It’s over."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    At this point Snell and Montgomery are hurting themselves by not signing with someone. They won't be ready for opening day, considering the ramp-up time required.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    At this point they are waiting for contenders to suffer injuries, like what just happened with Giolito.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    At this point they are waiting for contenders to suffer injuries, like what just happened with Giolito.
    I have no idea what the Sox’s are doing. Are they in ( sign top pitcher) or still a little away (trade a top pitcher). Not sure they will compound Gino’s injury by signing another expensive player.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I have no idea what the Sox’s are doing. Are they in ( sign top pitcher) or still a little away (trade a top pitcher). Not sure they will compound Gino’s injury by signing another expensive player.
    It probably gives the Red Sox FO an excuse to not sign Monty after Giolito went down, and basically punt the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    At this point Snell and Montgomery are hurting themselves by not signing with someone. They won't be ready for opening day, considering the ramp-up time required.
    I know teams cant collude but I wish they would all just tell them to take a hike and refuse to sign them until next offseason.

It’s over."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I know teams cant collude but I wish they would all just tell them to take a hike and refuse to sign them until next offseason.
    Why would you support Big Baseball like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I dont support anyone, I do however like seeing greedy people fall on their face because of their inflated sense of self worth. When it comes to fringe players and players who arent in positions to cash in big I have no problem with them trying to maximize their earnings. When it comes to players that turn down 100+ million I hope they blow out a limb and have to settle for a fraction of that amount.

When it comes to players salaries I dont look at it as "it doesnt matter its not my money". It is my money. The more they pay the players the more they have to raise prices to accommodate it. We could be going to games for 5$ and buying 1$ hot dogs at games but then we cant pay a player 40 million dollars a year.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 03-07-2024 at 10:40 AM.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I find it impossible to understand why fans choose to side with billionaire team owners trying to keep more profits rather than giving Snell $200M, and then call Snell greedy for trying to get that same $200M the owners are refusing to give him.

Like...why is the millionaire player greedy, but the billionaire owner isn't? Why have we been so conditioned to think the wealthiest guy is somehow always in the right, and anyone who dares attempt to pry wealth for themselves is the greedy jerk?

I guess it's the same reason why the masses are against livable wages, but have no problem with filthy rich executives. The brainwashing has been a complete success.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-07-2024 at 02:35 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-07-2024), Super (03-10-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    I find it impossible to understand why fans choose to side with billionaire team owners trying to keep more profits rather than giving Snell $200M, and then call Snell greedy for trying to get that same $200M the owners are refusing to give him.

Like...why is the millionaire player greedy, but the billionaire owner isn't? Why have we been so conditioned to think the wealthiest guy is somehow always in the right, and anyone who dares attempt to pry wealth for themselves is the greedy jerk?

I guess it's the same reason why the masses are against livable wages, but have no problem with filthy rich executives. The brainwashing has been a complete success.
    In Cajun’s case, I think it’s clear he’s blaming owners and players for higher ticket prices.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    It’s a good thing prices for other goods, services and entertainment do not go up over time. That would suck

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

It's probably more to do with the fact that most understand billionaires and corporations will never willingly sacrifice their own profits. If they want to sign a player at a top of market rate, they aren't going to take it out of profit...it's getting added to ticket and merchandise prices, at least as long as there are enough customers willing to pay the higher rates. There is a better chance of hoping that the player caves in and takes less to keep cost down rather than hoping the team is going to all of a sudden decide it's okay to earn less off their investment.

And of course there's the jealousy factor. Most still don't realize the kind of work pro athletes have to put in to get to their level. The days of Mickey Mantle being able to stay drunk all season and still bang out fifty bombs are long gone. We still have a lot of fans who think the players are solely there because of talent, that they're lucky instead of working their asses off. Regular people can't conceptualize the kind of money that it takes to own a team, but they remember the time they struck out the side in a Babe Ruth game at 15 and think that with a few breaks they could be the ones in Snell's place. It pisses them off that they're working some shít job 40 hours per week while Snell or Montgomery don't do anything but throw a ball every five days in the summer for an eight figure salary, and that they are holding out for a little more on the margins.

The bottom line is...let the market sort it out. When the owners truly can't afford to pay more they will stop increasing salaries. If not, they have no one to blame but themselves, and we shouldn't take a side one way or the other when it's someone else's money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    The market has sorted it out. Each has gotten very lucrative offers. They passed. Their holdout tells me they arent confident they can repeat their performance and want a long term deal so they can go Anthony Rendon on the team and be a long term albatross getting paid to suck ass. I dont mind players getting paid a **** ton of money. I just hate these long term guaranteed MLB contracts. Let the players worth the money get paid and the players who sign big contracts actually have to care about their performance beyond how much they can make on the NEXT contract. We need some kind of mechanism where teams can pay a player 50% of their remaining contract but they become a free agent in cases where free agents turn into Melvin.

It’s over."