Page 204 of 209 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,080 of 4167

Thread: Official 2024 Off-Season Thread!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I think the assertion that he was our entire offseason isn’t true. The majority of resources were spent on pitching (Jiminez, Lopez, Johnson, Sale, Bummer, etc.). I think the number of transactions associated with Kelenic overstates how crucial a piece he is. If he sucks, it’s $20m wasted. It’s a risk similar to Jiminez or Pierce Johnson.
    To clarify 50, I think I agree with most of your points. I think I’m arguing against strawman perspective rather than anyone specifically on this board.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I think the assertion that he was our entire offseason isn’t true. The majority of resources were spent on pitching (Jiminez, Lopez, Johnson, Sale, Bummer, etc.). I think the number of transactions associated with Kelenic overstates how crucial a piece he is. If he sucks, it’s $20m wasted. It’s a risk similar to Jiminez or Pierce Johnson.
    True, but they had to swing a lot of deals to absorb and discard dead salaries and 90% of that shuffling can be traced to the acquisition of Kelenic. That's what I've been driving at. I don't know if it's a good strategy or not. I've always thought that a team dancing this lose to a higher luxury tax situation shouldn't be paying guys to play for other teams. Maybe that's what they had to do to bridge toward next season when a lot of money comes off the books.

We won't know about Kelenic or Sale until well into the season. Given the relative strength at other positions and the pitching staff, any underperformance by them (and I'm not saying they will underperform) can be absorbed elsewhere. Deep starting line-up. Only thing that scares me is a rash of injuries. Simply no depth in the upper minors to accommodate that situation.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Oh wow, guys....we just learned Kelenic may not be good and Acuna may have future knee issues after major surgery!

We didn't know this 3 weeks ago when the superior 4th OFer signed for $2M, so we better run out and panic buy the lesser 4th OFer for $3M!!

Good job guys! That was a tricky lesson to learn, even though forum posters understood it months ago!

Whew...now that we learned so much and did such a great job, let's head to the Waffle House to celebrate!!
    So you wanted Grichuk, huh? First I've heard of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    So you wanted Grichuk, huh? First I've heard of it.
    Lol
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm worried about bummer
    Guy throws an absolute bowling ball.

He has been lit up though
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Sure sounds like it was just an opportunity they jumped on because it was a bargain. Same article Duvall talks about how frustrated he is with free agency in baseball so sounds like he thought he was going to get a much better pay day. This has nothing to do with Kelenic and more to do with wanting a better 4th OFer… and it got to a point where it was too good of a deal to pass up.

https://theathletic.com/5346816/2024...turn to Braves

“But this move by the Braves had less to do with getting an ideal platoon partner for Kelenic than taking advantage of what they saw as a bargain price for a quality player they know and like a lot.

Duvall can play all three outfield positions, and the Braves would be comfortable with him taking over for an extended stretch if any of their outfielders gets hurt, something they couldn’t say with as much confidence about others who had been competing for the fourth-outfielder job.”

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Guy throws an absolute bowling ball.

He has been lit up though

He will be used situationally against multiple lefty bats. I doubt they cared too much about situation when putting him in during ST. Probably the opposite hoping he could show he was better than a situational lefty.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2024)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Sure sounds like it was just an opportunity they jumped on because it was a bargain. Same article Duvall talks about how frustrated he is with free agency in baseball so sounds like he thought he was going to get a much better pay day. This has nothing to do with Kelenic and more to do with wanting a better 4th OFer… and it got to a point where it was too good of a deal to pass up.

https://theathletic.com/5346816/2024...turn to Braves

“But this move by the Braves had less to do with getting an ideal platoon partner for Kelenic than taking advantage of what they saw as a bargain price for a quality player they know and like a lot.

Duvall can play all three outfield positions, and the Braves would be comfortable with him taking over for an extended stretch if any of their outfielders gets hurt, something they couldn’t say with as much confidence about others who had been competing for the fourth-outfielder job.”
    Yeah i mean, if you can get a quality 4th outfielder like Duvall for 3M, you jump on it. And in Duvall's case, i'm sure he was tired of waiting and going to a familar place doesnt hurt. If Kelenic proves he hasnt taken a big step up, Duvall can more than hold his own out there on offense and defense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This board tends to get offended at any comment that is critical of the organization, and then the mouth breathers band together to pounce.

I can say AA is the best GM in the sort and everyone loves it. Then when I criticize a move they start foaming at the mouth. Just typical fan behavior.

I think AA has earned a little benefit of the doubt.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Guy criticizes an universally approved move that makes the team better.

Cries when everyone points out this fact and name calls.

Amazing.
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think AA has earned a little benefit of the doubt.
    I'm sure Enscheff can speak for himself but there's not one person who doesn't think this. However it is beyond fair to question a few moves here and there. Doesn't make you a hater or sky is falling person. The "feels" are insanely crazy right now on this board.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I'm sure Enscheff can speak for himself but there's not one person who doesn't think this. However it is beyond fair to question a few moves here and there. Doesn't make you a hater or sky is falling person. The "feels" are insanely crazy right now on this board.
    The biggest reason to criticize the Duvall signing is he’s somewhat miscast as a short-side platoon bat—not really mashing lefties and having been better against righties in recent seasons—and the team has indicated that’s how he’ll be used. On the flipside, he’s a much better option than someone like Grichuk to start everyday for stretches of time, making him a superior depth option on the bench—so I’m assuming that’s his real utility to the FO, and the platoon canard is what they have to say to get him signed and get him semi-regular PAs.

I think the big option for most posters, when they dig these positional trenches, seems to be an inability or unwillingness to read between the lines when the FO telecasts rationale and motivation. I, for one, think it’s been pretty clear during the Anthopoulos Era that he/they say whatever is conveniently palatable in the moment, even if they have other designs that aren’t strategic to reveal.

So, I think if all the team wanted was a generic LHP-mashing platoon bat, they would’ve signed a Grichuk type a month ago (the man himself is making $1.5m this year with a near-certain-to-be-exercised $500k buyout on an unlikely $6m option for 2025—so I’d imagine $3m could’ve gotten it done). However, they clearly wanted Duvall, his price dropped, and platooning is the pretense under which he was happy to return.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Snell to SF, 2/62, opt out after year 1.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Just watching the rerun of today’s game… Acuna just made a beautiful catch going right to left at a full sprint toward the outfield side wall….. made me nervous he was gonna slam into the wall or something…. Guess that’s just gonna take some getting used to….. I was like, “let that ball go, it’s not worth it” …. But dang if he didn’t run it down and make the play - not sure last year’s RA makes that catch.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-19-2024)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    The biggest reason to criticize the Duvall signing is he’s somewhat miscast as a short-side platoon bat—not really mashing lefties and having been better against righties in recent seasons—and the team has indicated that’s how he’ll be used. On the flipside, he’s a much better option than someone like Grichuk to start everyday for stretches of time, making him a superior depth option on the bench—so I’m assuming that’s his real utility to the FO, and the platoon canard is what they have to say to get him signed and get him semi-regular PAs.

I think the big option for most posters, when they dig these positional trenches, seems to be an inability or unwillingness to read between the lines when the FO telecasts rationale and motivation. I, for one, think it’s been pretty clear during the Anthopoulos Era that he/they say whatever is conveniently palatable in the moment, even if they have other designs that aren’t strategic to reveal.

So, I think if all the team wanted was a generic LHP-mashing platoon bat, they would’ve signed a Grichuk type a month ago (the man himself is making $1.5m this year with a near-certain-to-be-exercised $500k buyout on an unlikely $6m option for 2025—so I’d imagine $3m could’ve gotten it done). However, they clearly wanted Duvall, his price dropped, and platooning is the pretense under which he was happy to return.
    I predict he'll get 450 ABs

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-19-2024)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I predict he'll get 450 ABs
    What if, with Duvall in tow, they actually rest our OFs a game or two a month? That’d be huge. Then we’d just need an infield version of Duvall to get those guys rested. (Pipe-dream, I know.)
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I keep thinking Montgomery will wind up with the Phillies or Yankees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Strider has been named the Opening Day starter

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He should be - he’s the long term face of the franchise …. (Along with a couple of outfield dudes)!
    😁

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Guy criticizes an universally approved move that makes the team better.

Cries when everyone points out this fact and name calls.

Amazing.
    Again, the reading comprehension problem persists.

I didn't question the move. In fact, you can very easily find quotes of me saying the deal itself is perfectly fine.

I questioned the decision making process behind the moves. I questioned why the narrative went from "there are no PAs for bench players" to "Duvall will platoon in LF" over the course of 30 Kelenic ST PAs. The answer to those questions seems to be that they felt Duvall was now a good enough deal to warrant forcing a platoon in LF. So great, questions answered.

So please...PLEASE...learn to read. Read things slowly. Ask clarifying questions if you need. But stop the pathetic attempts to get me in a "gotcha" moment. You aren't smart enough to pull it off.