Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Payroll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We trying super hard to stay under the LT?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    How much is a extension for Juan Soto any idea?
    Well he's already turned down extensions of 13/350 and 15/440 from that Nationals. So that should give you some idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We trying super hard to stay under the LT?

There's a question I never expected to see
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Well he's already turned down extensions of 13/350 and 15/440 from that Nationals. So that should give you some idea.

I believe his agent is Scott Borass so 10 years 500 million with an opt out after 5 or 6 years.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 11-18-2023 at 05:27 AM.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I’m not sure his recent years have deserved those numbers. I haven’t liked though.

His defense won’t get better
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    His agent isnt really known for living in reality.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I have to imagine the Ohtani deal is going to include early opt outs and maybe a provision that limits risk if he never pitches again. This is a contract I would want no part of. A $500M guy who turns into a DH would be a franchise crippling disaster. No thanks.

Yama is going to require something like $200M plus around 17% to the posting team. The silver lining is that posting fee doesn’t count towards the cap, so it’s quite literally “just” money and a one time spend. The Braves seems well positioned for such a spend right now.

AA doesn’t spend big on FA pitchers, but I think it’s more about the age of typical FA pitchers. A FA who is 25 is a different story than a guy who is 30, and maybe AA is willing to give 7 years to someone that young.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-18-2023)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    The thing with Ohtani is his appeal came with him being a two way player. Not only a great power hitter, but a top of the rotation starter. He’s now had a second elbow injury and won’t pitch in the coming season. And with now two elbow surgeries, how is he going to be as a pitcher? So basically now, he’s a glorified designated hitter. I’m sure that a direction the Braves need to go. In fact, I would go another direction.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yeah some dumb team is gonna pay Ohtani for being a 2 way player and it’s gonna bite em bc he may never pitch again. Luckily for us AA is smarter than that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    As cheff mentioned, this contract is going to be incredibly complicated IMO.

I'm sure there will be an opt out after 2 years once he can pitch again. Possibly multiple opt outs. And there may be language about if he pitches or not.....there would be a lot of uncertainty in that deal that would make it difficult to budget future payrolls...again, not an AA type move.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Updated after the Lopez signing.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    As cheff mentioned, this contract is going to be incredibly complicated IMO.

I'm sure there will be an opt out after 2 years once he can pitch again. Possibly multiple opt outs. And there may be language about if he pitches or not.....there would be a lot of uncertainty in that deal that would make it difficult to budget future payrolls...again, not an AA type move.
    I think AA need to be smart and if he can take 2-3 years of him and then he want more money is not a crazy idea to let him walk. In about 3-4 years our window is going to start closing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Updated after the Lopez signing.
    Thanks for doing the Lord’s work Ensheff!

Question: MLBTR has the Braves luxury tag number at $241m, ~$35m higher than yours. Any explanation for what’s driving the gap?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I have to imagine the Ohtani deal is going to include early opt outs and maybe a provision that limits risk if he never pitches again. This is a contract I would want no part of. A $500M guy who turns into a DH would be a franchise crippling disaster. No thanks.

Yama is going to require something like $200M plus around 17% to the posting team. The silver lining is that posting fee doesn’t count towards the cap, so it’s quite literally “just” money and a one time spend. The Braves seems well positioned for such a spend right now.

AA doesn’t spend big on FA pitchers, but I think it’s more about the age of typical FA pitchers. A FA who is 25 is a different story than a guy who is 30, and maybe AA is willing to give 7 years to someone that young.
    I'd love the Yama move b/c of the tax issues and the lack of draft pick losses. I just don't see a Japanese pitcher coming to ATL. I hope he's all about winning and wants to come to us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

Question: MLBTR has the Braves luxury tag number at $241m, ~$35m higher than yours. Any explanation for what’s driving the gap?
    I can't imagine the MLBTR figure is correct unless there is something I am missing. Enscheff's figures are not quite correct either as Fried will undoubtedly make more than 14.5 million. But Scheff should be way closer than MLBTR. I think we should be around 210-212 million on the luxury tax right now.

Edit: looking over the numbers, I think a big trade is definitely brewing. Trading Fried would remove close to 20 million off the luxury tax. Trading Iglesias (assuming we can find a suitor) would remove a good bit too. Maybe trade Fried and Iglesias together for a better package. Would likely need to be a team with deep pockets though. Texas seems like a natural fit. So does Boston and NYY, but I don't like their farms nearly as much.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-20-2023 at 05:05 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

A lot of additional costs go towards the luxury number that I didn’t realize, like $12M of “other player benefits”. That’s why I changed the other column to AAV rather than Luxury.

The values on FG’s roster resource page appear to be completely correct except they count both this and next years’ buyouts towards this year’s payroll, which seems like they are double counting those values for any given current season.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I can't imagine the MLBTR figure is correct unless there is something I am missing. Enscheff's figures are not quite correct either as Fried will undoubtedly make more than 14.5 million. But Scheff should be way closer than MLBTR. I think we should be around 210-212 million on the luxury tax right now.

Edit: looking over the numbers, I think a big trade is definitely brewing. Trading Fried would remove close to 20 million off the luxury tax. Trading Iglesias (assuming we can find a suitor) would remove a good bit too. Maybe trade Fried and Iglesias together for a better package. Would likely need to be a team with deep pockets though. Texas seems like a natural fit. So does Boston and NYY, but I don't like their farms nearly as much.

I seriously doubt Fried will be traded. And his projected salary is based off the formula for arbitration that's been reversed engineered. It's right or very close to right unless the Braves agree to a deal for more

It’s over."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I seriously doubt Fried will be traded. And his projected salary is based off the formula for arbitration that's been reversed engineered. It's right or very close to right unless the Braves agree to a deal for more
    He got 13.5 last year. It's seems very unlikely he'll get barely a 1 million dollar pay raise. Spotrac has him at 21 million for what it's worth.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    It also seems unlikely he gets a 50% bump based off 77 total innings pitched in 2023. The guy from FG does a pretty spot on job projecting arb salaries.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Updated after the Kelenic trade. I have Gonzales in the rotation and White on the bench more as a way to include their salary than a prediction of them being in those roles.

Needless to say, Lopez and Gonzales is not how I envisioned AA "fixing" the rotation. Hopefully something else is in the works.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2023)