Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs: What, exactly, are the Braves up to?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    A pitcher that can give you 200+ IP.
    Only 5 pitchers in MLB reached 200 innings last season.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-26-2023), The Chosen One (12-26-2023)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Only 5 pitchers in MLB reached 200 innings last season.
    I was going to say "So, like, seven guys?" And it turns out that dickish snark would have been overly generous.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-26-2023), The Chosen One (12-26-2023), zedsdead (12-26-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    A pitcher that can give you 200+ IP.

You are going to need a time machine for that because 200IP SP is a dying breed. There were 5 this year. 8 last year. 4 in 2021.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-26-2023)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Did I say invest a large sum of money in a pitcher? There are many ways to get a proven durable pitcher without pay tons of money and honestly it's not my payroll to manage. All I know is pitching down the stretch is what wins championships.
    What are these many other ways to get “proven durable” pitching (by which you presumably mean 200+ IP pitchers) without paying tons of money? Developing your own seems to be the only other way, and that takes more than one solitary offseason to effect.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    200 innings isn't what it used to be for sure.

That being said, trading and then extending someone like Tyler Glasnow is not smart baseball. I don't care what he does for the Dodgers this season. A guy that doesn't even average 100 innings per season is not someone you give a long term deal to.

The smart play for us is to continue developing our own SPs and acquiring quality veterans on short term deals, either by trade or signing them. It's why I have been advocating for Stroman for the entire off-season.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-26-2023 at 09:15 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (12-26-2023), jpx7 (12-26-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    Chris Sale was once proven and durable. So was Jake Peavy
    Ivermectin Man

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (12-26-2023), Carp (12-26-2023), jpx7 (12-26-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We need good health and a starter to emerge.

Not asking a ton
    Asking a starter to emerge is in fact a big ask. It’s one of the toughest asks in baseball.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Asking a starter to emerge is in fact a big ask. It’s one of the toughest asks in baseball.
    In 1983 perhaps.

Not in 2023 when starters throw with max effort and are expected to go through the order maybe twice.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    In 1983 perhaps.

Not in 2023 when starters throw with max effort and are expected to go through the order maybe twice.
    I think we have enough to get through the regular season between AJSS, Waldrep, Elder, Vines, Winans, among others. But you cant be counting on 40 year old Morton and Elder in the playoffs. We need someone better than that, and the prices at the deadline will only skyrocket with more teams in contention.

I agree with Carp, that someone like Stroman who is reliable, eats innings, and is a solid #3 is what we need. Next year we need an ace type assuming Max is gone, this year we need someone in the #3 type mix whoever that can be. 200 IP dont exist anymore, which is probably why Alex really wanted Nola.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Here’s of the opinion that the Braves believe Waldrep or AJSS might be the man.

They moved ‘em up fast - and they’ve seen ‘em plenty enough.

As every poster on this board is fully aware, I’m not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer - but I do believe this is what AA is gonna count on- and then if injuries happen or they all just suck - then he can pay the contenders premium at the deadline.

Now what if - just what if - both of ‘em are Steve Avery and Tommy Glavine or Strider ? We all of a sudden have the best staff in baseball to go with a decent offense and bullpen ….. and we have several more behind these two.

That’s worth the gamble - worse case is we gotta overpay for a proven commodity later ….
    I’m gettin’ excited about spring training all of a sudden ….

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Here’s of the opinion that the Braves believe Waldrep or AJSS might be the man.

They moved ‘em up fast - and they’ve seen ‘em plenty enough.

As every poster on this board is fully aware, I’m not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer - but I do believe this is what AA is gonna count on- and then if injuries happen or they all just suck - then he can pay the contenders premium at the deadline.

Now what if - just what if - both of ‘em are Steve Avery and Tommy Glavine or Strider ? We all of a sudden have the best staff in baseball to go with a decent offense and bullpen ….. and we have several more behind these two.

That’s worth the gamble - worse case is we gotta overpay for a proven commodity later ….
    I’m gettin’ excited about spring training all of a sudden ….
    If all of those guys suck then we won’t have anybody to trade at the deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    AJSS and Waldrep will still have significant trade value unless a limb falls off. Hopefully by mid season some other prospects have stepped up. Every year there's some breakout prospects. I don't really want AJSS and Waldrep starting the year in the majors. Both need some more development so I hope they get at least a half season on the minors so we don't lose a year of service time. Both have sky high potential imo.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    AJSS and Waldrep will still have significant trade value unless a limb falls off. Hopefully by mid season some other prospects have stepped up. Every year there's some breakout prospects. I don't really want AJSS and Waldrep starting the year in the majors. Both need some more development so I hope they get at least a half season on the minors so we don't lose a year of service time. Both have sky high potential imo.
    I'm with you Cajun. I think the Braves are in a place where they KNOW another solid SP is needed. They also know that any GM worth their weight will ask for one of Waldrep/AJSS.

Now, I'm not as sold on AJSS for reasons that are different from just his talent. I think he should have cooked for another year and half in the minors before his wonderful ascent on the MLB roster, but that's just my old man rhetoric talking. I do not think AJSS is a number one in the future(a two ain't bad), but I'll gladly be wrong if that's the case. I feel much differently about Waldrep, but he also needs things to break in the right direction. His ascent was spectacular and I saw two games. One in which he completely baffled lesser hitters and another where batters knew to layoff of anything that was breaking because they weren't hitting it anyway. If he develops a modicum of command, he's the ace. He's a bulldog and that swag...that confidence, is what I want in an ace. That's again...if everything breaks right.

I was not interested in watching anything about low-A to high-A last year. It was...meh mostly above that. So the conundrum is: a.) trade what few prospects you have for short term gain, or b.) understand that the pieced together rotation is good for the regular season and pray for rain, or c.) pony up for Stroman or the like.

Of the options, c is the best. I say open the coffers and get it done and let's get down to the business of winning the division and increasing our chances in the postseason with likes of Stroman or similar. Next year, you worry about Fried leaving or do a pre-emptive strike. You won't like my thoughts on that...lol.

Perhaps what the Braves are up to as someone mentioned is waiting for price corrections or going with option b.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (12-28-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    Anyone claiming this roster needs a SP capable of giving bulk innings has demonstrated they don’t understand what this loaded roster lacks.

This roster needs (with “need” being a bit strong) another SP that can start a playoff game in the event one of Strider/Fried/Morton are not available or ineffective. Any SP who doesn’t fit that description has no place on this roster.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-28-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Given how good this team is, we can afford to wait till July to make a move for a SP. If we are looking for a rental SP with TOR upside, we will likely find the prices to better in 6 months.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    I would buy that argument if AA had bought a SP at the last deadline when they needed one more than they do now.

Just sign Stroman. He’s been the obvious answer for months.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-28-2023), striker42 (12-28-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I would buy that argument if AA had bought a SP at the last deadline when they needed one more than they do now.

Just sign Stroman. He’s been the obvious answer for months.
    Don't you remember that we didn't need a starter at the deadline because Kyle Wright was going to come back fully healthy and could be relied upon in the playoffs?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Anyone claiming this roster needs a SP capable of giving bulk innings has demonstrated they don’t understand what this loaded roster lacks.

This roster needs (with “need” being a bit strong) another SP that can start a playoff game in the event one of Strider/Fried/Morton are not available or ineffective. Any SP who doesn’t fit that description has no place on this roster.
    Need is not too strong. There's a reason AA had interest in Nola. He knows relying on an innings eater only, is not improving this roster or WS chance. Deadline? Maybe....

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    As far as free agents go who could be counted on to start a playoff game, Snell and Montgomery are probably "non-starters" because AA is not going to get into or win a bidding war for them. Even if all the teams that went after and missed on Yamamoto only offered those guys half of what he got from the Dodgers, the Braves aren't going over $150 million for either. Unless I'm just missing someone, Stroman is basically the only one left in free agency who fits the bill. Even he is just as likely as Fried or Morton to be injured come playoff time. If you want to roll dice, maybe Giolito if he can pitch like he did 2019-2021?

Trade-wise, we'd probably have to wait the White Sox out on Cease, but I think someone is going to eventually cave in and grab him before the start of the season. Don't see AA emptying the tank for Burnes, but would he surprise us and trade a large package for Freddy Peralta or Luis Castillo out of nowhere if Seattle is really thinking about unloading more guys?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-28-2023)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    The Braves are not going to win a WS based upon big name SP. This team is set up to win by the lineup being hot at the right time and the bullpen being lights out. Look at 2021. The "big three" were Fried, Morton and 22 year old Ian Anderson. In the WS, Morton breaks his leg in Game One. Fried was ineffective in Game 2, but came up big in Game 6. The reality is Fried has been pretty bad in the post-season. Ian Anderson came up huge in Game 3 in 2021. But the point is we didn't win based upon starting pitching.

Strider, Fried and Morton in a post season series, with a lock down pen, is good enough. As others on here have said, the need is if one of them goes down or is ineffective. That said, there is some SP depth in Atlanta if that happens. Any trade for a significant starter is going to cost you AJSS or Waldrep. Thus, you are looking at FA. I think signing a FA SP is a guaranty that Fried is gone in FA at the end of the year. He hasn't yet decided to take the discount being offered and if you pay full freight for a FA this offseason, you abandon all hope he feels compelled to take a discount contract to remain in Atlanta and the Braves don't want him at market rate.

I think at this point it is pretty clear we are going to hit the season with Strider, Fried, Morton, Elder and an open audition in hopes that one of AJSS or Waldrep are ready by the break to do their best 2021 Anderson impersonation.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OcalaBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-28-2023), Mrs. Meta (12-30-2023)