Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs: What, exactly, are the Braves up to?

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts

Fangraphs: What, exactly, are the Braves up to?

Really good explanation of the moves made to this point, with great analysis of the tax implications.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (12-22-2023), jpx7 (12-21-2023), thewupk (12-23-2023), UNCBlue012 (12-22-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts
    Good article. I like what the Braves have done this off season. I know people are mad they didn't get a big name third starter with a proven track record and younger than 40 but I like many of the options we have. We won the world series with a rotation of Fried/Anderson/Morton. I think Morton is still good. As long as he is striking out 10+ per 9 he is a quality starter in my book. I still like Ian Anderson. TJ surgery is fairly routine and I like getting him back mid season because a full year would be a bit much to expect right away. I always like Ynoa more than most and we get him back too. I really like AJSS and Waldrep is everything Kyle Wright wasn't and has shown me he has real potential. We could very well trade the farm for Cease and be goes down with TJ. Pitching is notoriously unreliable so I like having a lot of options rather than all eggs in one basket.

Plus it sets us up well in the years going forward. I think the chances of resigning Fried went way up and I won't even discount that we go after Soto since we got his BFF to help recruit him. With this off season we could realistically get both Fried and Soto signed next year and still be under the luxury tax.

We are getting to the point where we can see the end of Acuna/Albie's contracts. We need to keep in mind any contracts past 4 years is going to effect our ability to sign them to extensions. We have a **** ton of money spent on the pen in the next 2 years. If we could develop some cheap low service time relieves it would make a world of difference on our ability to sign premium players. I think AA has this in mind with many of the moves this off season. I wouldn't be surprised if we target someone we think can be a top notch reliever quickly with our first round pick this year. Paying 50 million a year on the pen is only sustainable because of the super team friendly contracts we have.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 12-24-2023 at 04:56 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-24-2023)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    The Braves gather a bunch of BP options and Jared Kelenic. They still have yet to address the bigger issue the rotation. IMO Elder and Smith-Shawver/Lopez definitely isn't a great plan going into the season. Still plenty of time left before the season starts but in my personal opinion none of the holes have truly been addressed.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    The Braves gather a bunch of BP options and Jared Kelenic. They still have yet to address the bigger issue the rotation. IMO Elder and Smith-Shawver/Lopez definitely isn't a great plan going into the season. Still plenty of time left before the season starts but in my personal opinion none of the holes have truly been addressed.
    Most projections don't see the SP as an issue for 2024. But LF is hopefully solved for the forseeable future and the pen as well which will be losing Minter after 2024.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-25-2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    We need good health and a starter to emerge.

Not asking a ton
    Ivermectin Man

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-25-2023)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Most projections don't see the SP as an issue for 2024. But LF is hopefully solved for the forseeable future and the pen as well which will be losing Minter after 2024.
    Fried and Morton stay injured, Morton is also coming down to his last few season and coming off an injury. Elder declined towards the end of the year and AJSS is a wildcard. Personally I think the Braves need 2 starters.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (12-29-2023)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    The Braves don't really need another starter for the 2024 season. The Playoffs? Maybe but it's possible that one of our prospects or comeback players breaks through and if not there will be arms available at the deadline.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Fried and Morton stay injured, Morton is also coming down to his last few season and coming off an injury. Elder declined towards the end of the year and AJSS is a wildcard. Personally I think the Braves need 2 starters.
    That's a pessimistic view.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    If the Braves can get a good mid level starter, ie. Stromam or equivalent, the offseason will be a success. Somebody solid who is a good bet to eat up solid innings is exactly what they need to finish out the team. No team can expect to lose a TOR pitcher and have another waiting. Good pitching is just to rare.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-25-2023)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That's a pessimistic view.
    How? Where's the lie?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    There are only 3 FA arms who can realistically be relied upon to be better/healthier than Morton next October, and those guys are Snell, Monty and Stroman. Of those 3 options I think it’s clear which is the most likely guy to take a 2-3 year contract AA is likely to give out.

The trade candidates are really only Cease and Burnes, and we’ve heard some decent smoke on Cease.

So my prediction is AA adds Cease with giving up only Grissom, or Stroman on a 2 year deal for a slightly elevated AAV.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (12-29-2023), jpx7 (12-25-2023)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Unless he can bag Stroman on a 2- of 3-year deal, I think Anthopoulos is going to wait until the deadline.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-25-2023)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Unless he can bag Stroman on a 2- of 3-year deal, I think Anthopoulos is going to wait until the deadline.
    It's pretty rare for Anthopolous to up his bid or panic when options get limited. He tends to stand firm on it. Someone else probably brings in the high bid on the remaining folks.

I would lean towards the Braves not bringing anyone else in that folks here would see as an obvious upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts

The problem is you want big name players who are nice and shiny. I want players who will be good not ones who have been good. Good teams acquire players before they produce and bad teams like the Yankees throw money and prospects around like drunken sailors and then wonder why they suck despite a huge payroll.

It’s over."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The problem is you want big name players who are nice and shiny. I want players who will be good not ones who have been good. Good teams acquire players before they produce and bad teams like the Yankees throw money and prospects around like drunken sailors and then wonder why they suck despite a huge payroll.
    No I want a proven starting pitcher that's durable. The Braves already have a rotation full of great pitchers when healthy but can't stay healthy and the backend is questionable. If you feel comfortable rolling into the season with Elder and AJSS as your 4/5 guys in the rotation that's you. He even Morton is a wildcard at this point.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (12-29-2023)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    No I want a proven starting pitcher that's durable. The Braves already have a rotation full of great pitchers when healthy but can't stay healthy and the backend is questionable. If you feel comfortable rolling into the season with Elder and AJSS as your 4/5 guys in the rotation that's you. He even Morton is a wildcard at this point.
    Elder is fine as a 4/5 and the current plan is for Lopez as the other. Yes that is more than acceptable to start the season at the back end. Braves are so loaded they can auto pilot until the Allstars break.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Durability is proven until it’s not. I don’t think investing large sums in pitcher health is smart—you invest in quality and hope they pitch enough to make it worthwhile.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts

What's your qualifications for proven and durable? I bet not many SP will qualify.

It’s over."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    What's your qualifications for proven and durable? I bet not many SP will qualify.
    A pitcher that can give you 200+ IP.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Durability is proven until it’s not. I don’t think investing large sums in pitcher health is smart—you invest in quality and hope they pitch enough to make it worthwhile.
    Did I say invest a large sum of money in a pitcher? There are many ways to get a proven durable pitcher without pay tons of money and honestly it's not my payroll to manage. All I know is pitching down the stretch is what wins championships.