Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fangraphs Top 100 Prospects

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Whatever happened to the spin rate guy that we drafted and he had to go to Japan?
    I think he had success the last time I checked. But he signed a five year deal worth some bank. He probably will eventually find his way back. I can’t remember his name. Something Carter or Carter something.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Carter Stewart in Korean Baseball League, I think

Never mind, it is Japan.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=stewar004car

JPPL is the Japanese majors, the other is minors
    Last edited by drewdat; 02-17-2024 at 01:21 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Whatever happened to the spin rate guy that we drafted and he had to go to Japan?
    He’s made good money in Japan. But doesn’t seem like there’s much interest in him from MLB teams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Reckon he’s happy with Boras ?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Reckon he’s happy with Boras ?
    He probably is. He’s made $20-30m in Japan. He would have made 10% of that at most in the US

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-18-2024)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    He probably is. He’s made $20-30m in Japan. He would have made 10% of that at most in the US
    I've never had an issue per se with him wanting to go to Japan. I also didn't think it would cause players to leverage that league against mlb as some people thought. He's had an unremarkable career there but earned a 2yr extension, his first major league wins and he seems to have adjusted. Good for him. I was puzzled about that pick though. The aftermath I guess.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I've never had an issue per se with him wanting to go to Japan. I also didn't think it would cause players to leverage that league against mlb as some people thought. He's had an unremarkable career there but earned a 2yr extension, his first major league wins and he seems to have adjusted. Good for him. I was puzzled about that pick though. The aftermath I guess.
    A lot boils down to who knew what when concerning the wrist injury. Did Stewart's side conceal the injury or did the Braves not perform due diligence? He had an awesome season in Junior College ball the next year and then signed with Fukuoka instead of going through the draft again.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    A lot boils down to who knew what when concerning the wrist injury. Did Stewart's side conceal the injury or did the Braves not perform due diligence? He had an awesome season in Junior College ball the next year and then signed with Fukuoka instead of going through the draft again.
    They didn't have a draft combine at the time Carter was selected if I'm right. Beforehand, clubs looking to sign a top draft pick brought players in to do a physical depending on sizeable bonuses. Also before signing. This is to address current or previous injuries and questions on a players long term physical health. In Carter's case, they didn't like the long term outlook of his injury enough to spend that high of a bonus on him. (I'm guessing)

If a player participates in the combine now, if they take a physical, they have to be offered 75% of slot bonuses minimal.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2024)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    They didn't have a draft combine at the time Carter was selected if I'm right. Beforehand, clubs looking to sign a top draft pick brought players in to do a physical depending on sizeable bonuses. Also before signing. This is to address current or previous injuries and questions on a players long term physical health. In Carter's case, they didn't like the long term outlook of his injury enough to spend that high of a bonus on him. (I'm guessing)

If a player participates in the combine now, if they take a physical, they have to be offered 75% of slot bonuses minimal.
    I'm pretty sure you're right. I guess what I was driving at is whether Stewart's team was hiding the injury or if the Braves were cognizant and drafted him anyway. I seem to recall it was more of the former than of the latter and that the Braves low-balled him when it was determined that he couldn't compete with the FCL team because of the injury. It's foggy, but it was unfortunate not so much because Stewart was destined for greatness, but made the Braves look like idiots.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Fangraphs put out their list of "picks to click" for the 2025 list: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/picks-to...-2025-top-100/

Ignacio Alvarez mentioned as one, but the most interesting Brave is Adam Maier. He was an overslot pick in 2022 because of his arm issues before the draft:

"Maier was arguably a top 50 draft prospect before he blew out in March of 2022. He had his UCL repaired with an internal brace rather than have Tommy John; he did not pitch last year. Healthy Maier would sit 92-94 and peak in the 95-97 mph range depending on the outing, and his slider has near elite spin."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2024), Tapate50 (02-19-2024)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Fangraphs put out their list of "picks to click" for the 2025 list: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/picks-to...-2025-top-100/

Ignacio Alvarez mentioned as one, but the most interesting Brave is Adam Maier. He was an overslot pick in 2022 because of his arm issues before the draft:

"Maier was arguably a top 50 draft prospect before he blew out in March of 2022. He had his UCL repaired with an internal brace rather than have Tommy John; he did not pitch last year. Healthy Maier would sit 92-94 and peak in the 95-97 mph range depending on the outing, and his slider has near elite spin."
    I'm curious where they start Maier. They let Schwellenbach ease into it at Low-A last year before pushing him up to High-A after a mid-season break where he ended the season. Just wondering if it will be similar pattern with Maier.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're right. I guess what I was driving at is whether Stewart's team was hiding the injury or if the Braves were cognizant and drafted him anyway. I seem to recall it was more of the former than of the latter and that the Braves low-balled him when it was determined that he couldn't compete with the FCL team because of the injury. It's foggy, but it was unfortunate not so much because Stewart was destined for greatness, but made the Braves look like idiots.
    The Braves fired what's his name immediately after it happened so that probably tells you something. Not sure what.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2024)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Fangraphs put out an article with 100 more prospects to know outside their top 100 (https://blogs.fangraphs.com/names-to...ant-prospects/). Braves info:

Drake Baldwin:

If Baldwin continues to perform like he did last season, he’ll be bumped to the Top 100 pretty quickly. He’s a well-rounded defensive catcher who had an uptick in power last season. He clears the bar at the position from a bat-to-ball standpoint. Baldwin’s on the smaller side and hits the ball on the ground a lot, so we still have questions about durability and whether he’ll consistently be able to match his 16-homer output from last year.

Spencer Schwellenbach:

Schwellenbach was a college two-way player (shortstop and closer) whose pro career was delayed by a TJ and sidetracked in 2023 by a shoulder issue. He sits in the mid-90s, has a plus slider, and is a healthy season and a more consistent changeup away from profiling as a mid-rotation type.

Ignacio Alvarez:

If you told us Alvarez was going to be a plus third base defender, he’d probably already be on the Top 100. Projecting on his third base defense in the abstract is difficult, but it’s going to be a very important part of his overall profile if/when Atlanta starts to play him there. He basically only played shortstop in 2023, where he presents an atypical look from a build and athleticism standpoint. Alvarez has a contact and OBP-driven profile with 40 or 45 power, which makes him a likely big leaguer but isn’t awesome for a third baseman. But if he’s going to be a really excellent defender, too? Then we’re talking about a guy who profiles in an everyday capacity.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-23-2024), jpx7 (02-22-2024), Tapate50 (02-22-2024)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Good to see Baldwin get some press. I never knew that 6-0/200 was on the small side. Anyway, his two-dimensionals look good. LHH catcher with good defensive skills and can hit some usually translates to a player that can stick around. Hope that's the case.

Alvarez is probably the most curious prospect in the Braves' system. Wasn't highly-noted after high school and I think that's largely because it appears he wasn't a big-time showcase participant which left him under the radar. Great season in JC ball at Riverside JC in California. Great work by the Braves' scouting staff.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-23-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Will be fun to watch some of the new draftees. I liked what some of the evaluators had to say about our class
    Ivermectin Man

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-23-2024)