Thread: Official Spring Training Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    I agree the change would be a much more effective weapon to add than another breaking ball. The eye test didn't reveal enough difference between the slider and curve to warrant keeping both pitches fine tuned (the slower curve seemed better), but perhaps the real data will show otherwise. After all, 4 good pitches is better than 3 good pitches.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-13-2024)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I agree the change would be a much more effective weapon to add than another breaking ball. The eye test didn't reveal enough difference between the slider and curve to warrant keeping both pitches fine tuned (the slower curve seemed better), but perhaps the real data will show otherwise. After all, 4 good pitches is better than 3 good pitches.
    Yeah, I hear you, but sliders and curves tend to turn into slurves. Strider threw one yesterday that was gunned at 83 and said it was supposed to be a slider but was kind of in the middle of the two.

I remember telling my kid, "it takes guts to throw a change. But I want you to throw it right down the middle like it's a meatball and let this guy screw himself into the ground. Trust the pitch." And after it worked a few times, he was very successful at his level with that.

Imagine the same basic idea with a little more intention and command when the hitter is gearing up for 99.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-13-2024)