Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Spring Training Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I still have a strange feeling that they are gonna say, “nothing wrong whatsoever - other than Ronald felt discomfort from an ingrown hair follicle so we wanted to get a second opinion.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    AA and snit, if this happens to be minor, consider it a warning shot... you two stupid SOBs tell Acuna to hit the baseball in the 2-hole and forget about trying to be Vince Coleman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    AA and snit, if this happens to be minor, consider it a warning shot... you two stupid SOBs tell Acuna to hit the baseball in the 2-hole and forget about trying to be Vince Coleman
    From what I understand about a meniscus tear is that this likely has nothing to do with the stolen bases, etc... if it was going to tear it was just as likely to tear jogging for a routine fly ball.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    What the injury is, or how it happened, is not the point. The point is the most valuable offensive player in the sport has a surgically repaired knee, and is still being allowed to run around like a 2 win speedster with no attention paid to regular rest.

Now we all get to sit here and speculate what the OF would look like without Acuna, and the options are pretty awful. The complete inability of Snit to competently manage a bench, which includes giving regular rest to everyday players, means the Braves will have had Eli White in RF if Acuna’s knee isn’t ready because the lack of playing bench players means no quality options will sign with the Braves.

These are all symptoms of a single problem…a dinosaur manager who is supposedly “good at managing people”, and nothing else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What the injury is, or how it happened, is not the point. The point is the most valuable offensive player in the sport has a surgically repaired knee, and is still being allowed to run around like a 2 win speedster with no attention paid to regular rest.

Now we all get to sit here and speculate what the OF would look like without Acuna, and the options are pretty awful. The complete inability of Snit to competently manage a bench, which includes giving regular rest to everyday players, means the Braves will have had Eli White in RF if Acuna’s knee isn’t ready because the lack of playing bench players means no quality options will sign with the Braves.

These are all symptoms of a single problem…a dinosaur manager who is supposedly “good at managing people”, and nothing else.
    I don't disagree with any of that... just found it interesting when I read that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    For the first time all offseason, I really hope they don't sign Michael Taylor (or someone similar) in the next couple days.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Call it dinosaur call it old school. I call it lazy. Twit doesn’t want to get involved. Just put the same lineup out there everyday and let them do whatever they want. Relievers are his hardest job and that is managing only by availability and what inning it is. No thought to importance of game or matchups.

I often said a blind monkey could manage this team to close to the number of wins. But now I think the blind monkey could win more games Disgrace that AA let’s This idiot manage the team like this. Dude has been in baseball for decades with nothing to show until he lucked into a dream role that even he couldn’t screw up.

Really good
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 03-03-2024 at 10:21 AM.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I never realized Sale crossfires as much as he does.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I agree that Snitker is the main course in this restaurant review, but Anthopoulos is the side dish and his failure to construct a decent bench is worthy of some level of criticism. There's a chicken-and-egg aspect to this argument in that Snitker doesn't provide enough rest to regulars (very true and should be harshly criticized), but when he looks at the bench, who is he going to replace the regulars with? Outside of which catcher is sitting, the bench is basically a bunch of AAAA guys. Presence of the DH mitigates that to some extent, but for all of the outside-the-box thinking Anthopoulos has displayed in other aspects of roster-building, he seems to lack that when it comes to the bench.

Game is different now. There are no more 6- or 7-man benches so running multiple platoons is difficult, but bench quality is still important. I would hope that even if Acuna's injury only sidelines him briefly that the Braves are looking hard at the waiver wire come the end of spring training.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    We recently learned they have a hard time signing players to the bench because snit never plays the bench. So how is AA supposed to force a guy like Grichuk to sign?

AA traded for Arcia to sit on the bench, so he definitely has the “creativity” to build a good bench when he can force a guy on the roster.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I prefer spending limited resources on things other than a deep bench in the DH era.

Pretty obvious that bullpen is more important.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I prefer spending limited resources on things other than a deep bench in the DH era.

^
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Sale looks phenomenal - Could we possibly get this lucky in addition to Snell probably spooking Fried and his people likely inducing him to be willing to leave money on the table for a contract extension done now?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    I’ve really enjoyed listening to O’day in the booth the last few games.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    No he wants to be on the west coast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Ozuna and wall are ready.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I agree that Snitker is the main course in this restaurant review, but Anthopoulos is the side dish and his failure to construct a decent bench is worthy of some level of criticism. There's a chicken-and-egg aspect to this argument in that Snitker doesn't provide enough rest to regulars (very true and should be harshly criticized), but when he looks at the bench, who is he going to replace the regulars with? Outside of which catcher is sitting, the bench is basically a bunch of AAAA guys. Presence of the DH mitigates that to some extent, but for all of the outside-the-box thinking Anthopoulos has displayed in other aspects of roster-building, he seems to lack that when it comes to the bench.

Game is different now. There are no more 6- or 7-man benches so running multiple platoons is difficult, but bench quality is still important. I would hope that even if Acuna's injury only sidelines him briefly that the Braves are looking hard at the waiver wire come the end of spring training.
    Does it matter who he replaces guys with just to give them a rest on occasion? This team is good enough to win any game even with Mike Hessman out there, and it’s not like they’ll likely be needing every win they can get anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    That may be the weakest argument I’ve ever seen on this board. By that logic, why trade for Olson if any random 1b addition would allow them to win enough games? Why sign Lopez if any random arm would still let them win 90 games? Why bother making additions around the edge of the 40 man roster if any random replacement player would fill in just as well?

The goal is to make the best team possible to give the best chances of winning a championship. Having a terrible 4th OFer decreases those chances. Anyone claiming it doesn’t matter is assigning an arbitrary line to when making the roster better no longer matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    That may be the weakest argument I’ve ever seen on this board. By that logic, why trade for Olson if any random 1b addition would allow them to win enough games? Why sign Lopez if any random arm would still let them win 90 games? Why bother making additions around the edge of the 40 man roster if any random replacement player would fill in just as well?

The goal is to make the best team possible to give the best chances of winning a championship. Having a terrible 4th OFer decreases those chances. Anyone claiming it doesn’t matter is assigning an arbitrary line to when making the roster better no longer matters.
    I think you need to read again, dummy. I wasn’t arguing against improving the bench. I was arguing against 50’s notion that Snitker can’t give guys a rest just because the bench is weak.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

It's a both/and and not an either/or.