Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Around Baseball 2024 edition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He has another 18 million left on on his contract after this year. He's never really been better than a middle of the rotation pitcher, and his K-rate has fallen off a cliff so far this season. The Rays will have a rotation crunch over the next month or so as McClanahan, Springs, Rasmussen, and Bradley all return from injury.

I wouldn't imagine Eflin would cost too terribly much.
    Last year he was certainly better than a middle of the rotation pitcher with a 4.8 fWAR and 3.12 xFIP... granted that's obviously been the outlier year. Still he's already at 0.9 fWAR this year... not sure if I'd freak out about the K-rate after just 59 innings although he's never been a huge strikeout pitcher. The thing that interests me more is that he never walks anyone.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Carp (Yesterday), jpx7 (Yesterday)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,011 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Last year he was certainly better than a middle of the rotation pitcher with a 4.8 fWAR and 3.12 xFIP... granted that's obviously been the outlier year. Still he's already at 0.9 fWAR this year... not sure if I'd freak out about the K-rate after just 59 innings although he's never been a huge strikeout pitcher. The thing that interests me more is that he never walks anyone.
    I was speaking more towards his trade value. He obviously would be a big upgrade to the 5th spot for us.

I don't think teams will be too heavily swayed by his 2023 numbers. In the end, he's a 30 year old career middle to back of the rotation pitcher with an 18 million dollar hit in 2025. Reliable yes, but certainly doesn't appear to be a huge difference maker. In all likelihood, he won't be a probable option to start a playoff game for most teams with interest in him.

Obviously we don't yet know what demand for pitching will be this deadline, but so far, almost every top team seems to be pretty set at pitching, aside from the Brewers.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (Yesterday), zbhargrove (Yesterday)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I was speaking more towards his trade value. He obviously would be a big upgrade to the 5th spot for us.

I don't think teams will be too heavily swayed by his 2023 numbers. In the end, he's a 30 year old career middle to back of the rotation pitcher with an 18 million dollar hit in 2025. Reliable yes, but certainly doesn't appear to be a huge difference maker. In all likelihood, he won't be a probable option to start a playoff game for most teams with interest in him.

Obviously we don't yet know what demand for pitching will be this deadline, but so far, almost every top team seems to be pretty set at pitching, aside from the Brewers.
    That and Tampa Bay are just wizards when it comes to getting the most out of starters

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Carp (Yesterday), jpx7 (Yesterday)