Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spencer Strider

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just need someone that can beat the Phillies in the playoffs
    Acuna, Ozzie, Riley, Olson, etc... these are the concern for that more than pitching

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    My biggest concern is keeping fried and sale healthy. I have zero concerns fielding a competitive rotation of 6 guys. If we lose another, it's certainly dicey
    My biggest concern as well. Fried had health issues all last season and Sale is a walking DL stint waiting to happen.

Elder, Smith Shawver, etc. are going to get plenty of use this summer.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    What's current recovery time for TJS?

Assuming he has TJ surgery very soon I think earliest we would see him is August next year. Probably more likely September. At that point they might try to bring him back as a reliever to finish the season or just wait until 2026 to give him that extra offseason time to recover. Second TJ surgery has a little longer recovery time. If this was his first we could have maybe had him back in June or by the All star break next year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    My biggest concern as well. Fried had health issues all last season and Sale is a walking DL stint waiting to happen.

I fully expect Waldrep to pop on the scene in September and be our October surprise

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    ·
    25m
    “It wasn’t good,” #Braves manager Brian Snitker said of Spencer Strider’s MRI, which show damage to the ulnar collateral ligament.

Mark Bowman
    @mlbbowman
    ·
    11m
    The Braves are going to go a pitcher short in tonight's game. This seems to set up the possibility of scratching Elder from tonight's start and having him start here tomorrow. With limited optionable relievers, this may be the best move.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    They really won't be a pitcher short since Strider wouldn't be available even if healthy.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Acuna, Ozzie, Riley, Olson, etc... these are the concern for that more than pitching
    Yeah, ours bats going cold are why we've lost. Other than Game 1 in 22, and Game 2 in 23, we didnt hit worth a **** vs them. Lopez, Sale, Fried, Morton with our pen is a more than good enough top 4. Now keeping the latter 3 healthy is a much much harder question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts

Sale's healthiest year in several years was last year. Zack Wheeler went through a couple injury seasons where he barely pitched and has come back from it. We just need to not push Sale too hard. If we can get 5-6 innings in 90 pitches or less we need to take that and bring in the pen and not push our luck.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    So…it was obvious something was wrong when he was at 94 early in the game. Several of us commented exactly that during the game while it was happening. Why was he allowed to continue?

Or is this another instance where homers will say posters on a forum didn’t know more than the actual baseball professionals?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    ·
    25m
    “It wasn’t good,” #Braves manager Brian Snitker said of Spencer Strider’s MRI, which show damage to the ulnar collateral ligament.

Mark Bowman
    @mlbbowman
    ·
    11m
    The Braves are going to go a pitcher short in tonight's game. This seems to set up the possibility of scratching Elder from tonight's start and having him start here tomorrow. With limited optionable relievers, this may be the best move.

I dont see why they wouldnt just put Strider on the DL. Theres a zero percent chance he pitches in the next 15 days or however long the DL is now.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So…it was obvious something was wrong when he was at 94 early in the game. Several of us commented exactly that during the game while it was happening. Why was he allowed to continue?

Or is this another instance where homers will say posters on a forum didn’t know more than the actual baseball professionals?
    Are there levels of this injury? Just curious if it woulda even helped strider to pull him once there was already an injury

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    They really won't be a pitcher short since Strider wouldn't be available even if healthy.
    How does this point not cross bowman's mind? Haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts

94 isnt too far off from his norm. If he was throwing 90 then I would agree. Its very doubtful taking him out earlier would have prevented anything. The damage was most likely done already. The UCL doesnt go from okay to broken in a few pitches. Its a wear and tear kind of thing. It was probably hanging by a thread in ST.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    Are there levels of this injury? Just curious if it woulda even helped strider to pull him once there was already an injury
    Well, it doesn’t matter. Something was very clearly wrong. Several of us stated as much in the game thread as it was happening.

So yeah, whether it got worse over time, or popped all the way on one pitch doesn’t matter. Something was very clearly wrong and the people in charge did not notice because they were napping in the dugout as usual.

But I’m sure the apologists will be in here soon telling us that there’s no way posters on a forkk in m are smarter than then actual baseball people…except that we are. Snit is a buffoon, plain and simple.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    94 isnt too far off from his norm. If he was throwing 90 then I would agree. It’s very doubtful taking him out earlier would have prevented anything. The damage was most likely done already. The UCL doesnt go from okay to broken in a few pitches. It’s a wear and tear kind of thing. It was probably hanging by a thread in ST.
    94 at a low pitch count is far from his norm.

I realize the apologists are going to defend the buffoon coaching staff, so these arguments are not surprising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    I'm not sure who is defending snit. I do question if pulling strider earlier would make any difference though once it was done. Snit is probably the most hated brave on this site, so not sure why you think there's a buncha apologists for him here

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I would expect nothing less than a brain fart like this from O'Brien.

The thing now is to not to overreact. Braves are a playoff team and probably division winners unless a lot of wheels fall off (which is possible, but unlikely). There's a decent set of back-of-the-rotation options in Gwinnett. Let Smith-Shawver develop and don't rush Waldrep. Long season and if those guys are needed, they'll be there.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    94 at a low pitch count is far from his norm.

I realize the apologists are going to defend the buffoon coaching staff, so these arguments are not surprising.
    Yes, you are brilliant. Maybe tell us a couple more times though just to be sure.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (04-06-2024)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    You think Strider wanted to pitch through an elbow problem? If something was clearly bothering him, he would have said something and took himself out of the game. Sounds like this was gonna happen eventually anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Is this injury a cumulative injury? Would it have happened for sure in Chicago Wednesday if no rain out?