Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: GDT 4/17/24: Braves at Astros - Afternoon Sweep Vibes

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Good thing we signed him for several years. I have only listened to games this year but his defensive stats are off the charts. Making Dansby Swanson look like a downgrade on defense.
    I was joking obviously.. I would be shocked, I mean floored if AA did something that dumb. And I think Arcia seems to have found a place he really likes. The Latino contingency is a force not to be messed with. It is making all of them super human versions of themselves...well except Ozzie who is always breaking bones.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    man you can get down rabbit holes that never end with savant. I started looking at other pitchers who went down with TJ (verlander, Degrom, ..) and how their pitches changed and it told me absolutely nothing concrete. I think you would need to be able to have all the data in SAS, python, or Oracle and be able to run queries to be able to even begin to remotely build some sort of correlation.

I think I just have to assume he is healthy and just not 100% ready on the season since he had such an abbreviated spring.
    I can almost guarantee analytics groups are doing exactly that. We could very clearly see something was wrong with Strider almost immediately, and that was just by looking at the velocity drop on the TV screen. You can bet there are teams analyzing this data to determine when pitchers need rest.

Whether or not they have anything useful to report is anyone's guess. I'm thinking if they had something worthwhile yet we wouldn't see so many exploded arms.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I can almost guarantee analytics groups are doing exactly that. We could very clearly see something was wrong with Strider almost immediately, and that was just by looking at the velocity drop on the TV screen. You can bet there are teams analyzing this data to determine when pitchers need rest.

Whether or not they have anything useful to report is anyone's guess. I'm thinking if they had something worthwhile yet we wouldn't see so many exploded arms.
    It’s the white whale of baseball ops. How do you have a roster of max effort pitchers (therefore better performance) that can stay healthy. Whatever team solves that problem will have a massive comparative advantage.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    The answer may be to just not let them pitch until October. Use normal pitchers to get to October, then use strider and sale in the playoffs. Because let’s face it, this roster makes it to October without those guys, and then could use those guys at 100% to win a championship.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I think the answer might eventually be 2-inning pitchers at max effort - essentially an entire staff of relief pitchers.