Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Sweep means happy flight home!

Next up, the World Champion Texas Rangers

Braves charter flight:
    https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...235Z/KHOU/KATL
    Last edited by mossy; 04-17-2024 at 04:51 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Felt like we stole the entire series , each game tbh.
    Grand Theft Astro?
    Last edited by USMA76; 04-17-2024 at 06:10 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Home plate ump was Dan Bellino according to the box score.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Felt like we stole the entire series , each game tbh.
    Snit managing like a Hall of Fame manager. How many 1 runs games have we won already?
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    623 Posts
    Braves are 4-3 in one run games, outperforming our expected wins by one game.
    We have had some significant injuries and some early slumps. We are only 13th in HRs. We lead baseball in batting average and are second in OPS, and have the highest run differential in the NL even after the Mets blowout where we punted and used Guillorme to pitch an inning.

We have the number one seed in the NL and best record currently in all of baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    12-5 despite giving a game away vs Phillies. Losing a series to the Mets. Losing a game to the woeful White Sox. Strider going down. Fried getting shelled. And Acuna turning into a slap hitter.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    I just realized that the Braves are not even in the top 10 in HR, yet lead baseball in SLG by a healthy margin. Pretty impressive.

I wonder which of the unsustainables will correct first: Acuna hitting like a "true leadoff hitter"? Fried pitching like he wants to make league minimum next season? Or Arcia playing like the best shortstop in the league? Ozuna hitting like...well, in 2020?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike3urout View Post
    I just realized that the Braves are not even in the top 10 in HR, yet lead baseball in SLG by a healthy margin. Pretty impressive.

I wonder which of the unsustainables will correct first: Acuna hitting like a "true leadoff hitter"? Fried pitching like he wants to make league minimum next season? Or Arcia playing like the best shortstop in the league? Ozuna hitting like...well, in 2020?
    I feel Acuna is about to go off.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    623 Posts
    From the sunshiney side of homer street:

Arcia and Ozuna are here to stay. They are all-stars and going to have monster seasons.

And Acuna is going to bust it MVP big.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts

It's definately Arcia. 419 wOBA vs 292 xwOBA.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts

Probably Acuña. Arcia is the best defensive SS in baseball. Ozuna is just doing what he did last year. Fried I'm starting to have concerns about.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    meh.. he is going to CJ his way into a new contract.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Probably Acuña. Arcia is the best defensive SS in baseball. Ozuna is just doing what he did last year. Fried I'm starting to have concerns about.
    Come on.. it is already a simple fact that Fried got mad and is now good again.

but seriously, I did a little digging and something is going on with his fastball.. velo is still there, but it is straighter than ever and is the pitch that is getting killed. not sure if there is something mechanical going on or if there is a blister that is affecting his spin, but he is getting murdered on his 4 seam and less used cutter.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post

but seriously, I did a little digging and something is going on with his fastball.. velo is still there, but it is straighter than ever and is the pitch that is getting killed. not sure if there is something mechanical going on or if there is a blister that is affecting his spin, but he is getting murdered on his 4 seam and less used cutter.
    I'm more concerned about the forearm strain he had last year and if what we're seeing is his elbow about to give out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    623 Posts
    Somebody probably very glad fried didn’t take any extension offers….and somebody (and their agent) probably very mad at themselves for not taking any extension offers…..

Good thing there’s some new headline every day about one of the youngsters having a dominant start down in farmland …we may need a coupla’ of John Smoltz and Steve Averys level call ups….

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I'm more concerned about the forearm strain he had last year and if what we're seeing is his elbow about to give out.
    hard to know. I would think by 4 starts if his forearm was barking, he would have said something. Then again, it is a contract year and he surely doesn't want to hit FA rehabbing a 2nd TJ surgery.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts

Spin rate is still there too. 2024 is actually the 2nd highest FA spin rate he has ever recorded, but it has resulted in the 2nd lowest amount of "rise" he's ever had. That tells me something he's doing is affecting the spin axis on the FA.

As always, Fried's best heater is the 2-seamer, and hopefully he adjusts the pitch mix accordingly. That flat 4-seamer is pretty much the flattest it's ever been right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Agreed.

Acuna's problem is simply that he reverted to his career norm K rate of 25% (11.4% last year), and isn't hitting the ball in the air. His 22% FB rate is by far the lowest it's ever been. Additionally, 27% of those FBs have been on the infield, which is by far the highest it's ever been. The great news is Acuna at his worst is still an .800 OPS guy, and the FB rate is climbing: https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ro...=single&gt1=15

Rather than wasting effort trying to be a lead off hitter and steal bases, Acuna should be laser focused on 40%+ FB rate that will lead to 50+ HRs. That will lead to the 10+ win seasons he is capable of producing.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Spin rate is still there too. 2024 is actually the 2nd highest FA spin rate he has ever recorded, but it has resulted in the 2nd lowest amount of "rise" he's ever had. That tells me something he's doing is affecting the spin axis on the FA.

As always, Fried's best heater is the 2-seamer, and hopefully he adjusts the pitch mix accordingly. That flat 4-seamer is pretty much the flattest it's ever been right now.
    man you can get down rabbit holes that never end with savant. I started looking at other pitchers who went down with TJ (verlander, Degrom, ..) and how their pitches changed and it told me absolutely nothing concrete. I think you would need to be able to have all the data in SAS, python, or Oracle and be able to run queries to be able to even begin to remotely build some sort of correlation.

I think I just have to assume he is healthy and just not 100% ready on the season since he had such an abbreviated spring.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    meh.. he is going to CJ his way into a new contract.
    Good thing we signed him for several years. I have only listened to games this year but his defensive stats are off the charts. Making Dansby Swanson look like a downgrade on defense.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.