Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Since We Had All this Money to Hand Out....Should McCann Have Been Kept?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

Since We Had All this Money to Hand Out....Should McCann Have Been Kept?

With the fact that we've given out all of these extensions and tied up all this money for the future, it has many on here assuming our payroll in the future has gone up by a lot. Got me thinking, had we known this, should we have considered keeping McCann?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Hasn't this topic already been discussed from every angle? They would've liked to have brought McCann back for his leadership and production. It was known that he was going to be seekign significant length for his FA contract. With decline through his 30's, and beating on the body from the catcher position, it was a slam dunk that he was going to sign in the AL to eventually DH.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-21-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I love Mac and think most here are underestimating his loss because they think Gattis won't be too much worse of a hitter and ignore the many other skills Mac brought to the team (one can only hope Gattis learned a lot under Mac's tutelage)

But no I wouldn't have paid him what the Yankees paid him. Keeping Mac would have meant no Kimbrel and probably we would have had to have moved Medlen this offseason. Because unlike Julio, SImmons, etc. Mac's money would hit immediately. Even Freddie who's closer to FA than them doesn't hit immediately.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-21-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    With the fact that we've given out all of these extensions and tied up all this money for the future, it has many on here assuming our payroll in the future has gone up by a lot. Got me thinking, had we known this, should we have considered keeping McCann?
    The money we're committing doesn't have much to do with 2014 payroll. Or 2015 for that matter. With both McCann and Hudson, the issue was how to fit them into the 2014 and 2015 budget. There is also the detail that we have Gattis ready to take over for McCann and five good young cost-controlled pitchers leaving less of a need for Hudson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Love Mac but he isn't going to be worth that contract, I would be shocked if he doesn't start breaking down soon.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm probably with BRule here. You'll note the Braves are committed to the young core of guys and will build around that and McCann's age (and expected decline) made him less of a priority. I will be surprised if Gattis out-hits McCann, but stranger things have happened.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Love Mac but he isn't going to be worth that contract, I would be shocked if he doesn't start breaking down soon.
    Really, I think he's already started breaking down. It'd be kind of the opposite of our organizational philosophy, "through his age 31 season."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Last year was the only year he's been under 120 games played....but that number has been declining each of the last 4 years.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Just because you have money doesn't mean you should spend it. McCann was beginning his decline. It won't appear that way next year bc of the dimensions of Yankee Stadium, but we wouldn't have performed here at the level he would need to to justify that deal. I like what the FO is doing...

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I love Mac and think most here are underestimating his loss because they think Gattis won't be too much worse of a hitter and ignore the many other skills Mac brought to the team (one can only hope Gattis learned a lot under Mac's tutelage)

But no I wouldn't have paid him what the Yankees paid him. Keeping Mac would have meant no Kimbrel and probably we would have had to have moved Medlen this offseason. Because unlike Julio, SImmons, etc. Mac's money would hit immediately. Even Freddie who's closer to FA than them doesn't hit immediately.
    The pitchers love throwing to Gattis and Gattis is better at throwing out base runners than McCann and he's no worse at blocking balls in the dirt than McCann. The difference is minimum. We're not talking about Brian McCann from 2011 and years previous. We're talking about the 2012/2013 McCann.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Every time Gattis has a slump fans will say 'yes' and every time Gattis is going well, fans will say 'no'. Same with the number of times BMac is on an ESPN or FOX highlight getting a big homer or gamewinner. But BMac is playing a position that tears most players up over a long career so the odds of him remaining the same are slim. I trust the FO to have considered all of that when deciding on BMac. If he had let it be known he would resign for less just to remain a Brave for life, then they might have kept him. But he was always going to get his last big payday and the FO didn't think the price warranted the expenditure.

McCann had a choice as far as I know (the Braves offered him something, didn't they) but he simply made the choice to wear pinstripes for more money and years.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Last year was the only year he's been under 120 games played....but that number has been declining each of the last 4 years.
    Because he missed the start of the year due to surgery.

I actually think he will improve by playing for the Yankees. For one he can play more by DHing and then he's a perfect fit for that stadium. I see 30 bombs from him this year.

But no we shouldn't have paid him at that price and length of contract. The Braves are clearly going after their young guys and keeping them through their prime. Resigning Mac would have been against this philosophy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Even if Gattis doesn't produce to his capable levels ever, I still would not have signed Mac for that contract. It's not smart. And would have severely hampered our ability to sign our younger, more important guys long-term.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (02-21-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    No.

Love Mac but he's got a lot of wear/tear on him.

Still a great catcher, probably top 5-10 but all that mileage will catch up sooner or later.

It was best for both sides to part ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Here's a question, and maybe it deserves it's own thread, but knowing now that we're spending money, do you think we should've retained Hudson?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    Here's a question, and maybe it deserves it's own thread, but knowing now that we're spending money, do you think we should've retained Hudson?
    No.
    The money we spent this off-season had very little affect on this year's pay roll. Not even much to next year, really.
    It's too risky for us that Hudson would not have lived up to that deal. He's 38. We have a lot of young pitching. No real reason not to give them a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Fair enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    Fair enough.
    If he had come cheaper, I wouldn't have minded. Not for 11 mil/year, though.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Coincidentally, isn't Mac the only previous Brave to sign an extended contract that buys out his arb and a couple FA years while he's young, like what Wren is doing now? I know an identical contract extension was proposed to Francoeur at the time, but he passed it up, thank the baseball gods.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    The only player i'd like back was EOF.

Huddy at 11 mil a year for his age 38-39 seasons, meh.

And Mac at that cost while probably not being able to keep Kimbrel, no thanks.