Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated Roster news/thoughts

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

Updated Roster news/thoughts (ux3)

The bench is pretty well set, except for one spot. Gerald Laird (C, ATL), Ryan Doumit (C/1B/OF), Jordan Schafer (OF, ATL) and Ramiro Pena (INF, ATL) are expected to be on the Opening Day roster. It will be interesting to see who gets that final roster slot.

Tyler Pastornicky (SS/2B/OF, ATL) is the leading candidate at this point. A shortstop by trade, he has worked in the outfield over the past year and he reportedly has done a solid job there defensively. That added versatility may give him the edge in the competition. It’s worth noting that he will miss the ten or so spring games as he rehabs from August surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee.

Joey Terdoslavich (OF/1B, ATL) saw his chances of making the Opening Day roster take a hit with the team’s acquisition of Doumit. Terdoslavich is a corner outfielder and first baseman so he and Doumit overlap. Still, it’s possible that the team could go with the switch-hitter, if he has a good spring. It’s more likely that they would prefer to have him getting regular playing time at Triple-A, so that he’ll be ready to step in if Freddie Freeman (1B, ATL) or one of the starting outfielders is forced to miss an extended period of time. Terdoslavich’s overall stat line in the majors isn’t much to look at, but he hit .318/.359/.567 with 18 HR and 3 SB in 321 AB with Triple-A Gwinnett last year. Manager Fredi Gonzalez said recently that Terdoslavich will get work at catcher this spring and possibly at Gwinnett this year as they look to increase his position flexibility.

Jose Constanza (OF, ATL) is another player in the mix for a job. He possesses good speed and a solid glove at all three outfield positions. The 30-year-old has a .278/.322/.329 with 2 HR and 12 SB in 236 career major league PA.

Non-roster invitee Tyler Greene (2B/SS/3B/OF, ATL) is a sleeper candidate, particularly if Pastornicky isn’t ready to start the season. He possesses the same type of versatility that Pastornicky does and he has quite a bit more major league experience (.224/.289/.356 with 17 HR and 28 SB in 675 career AB in the majors).

There have been a few changes since we looked at the Braves pitching staff on January 15. Let’s take a look at those developments and what they could potentially mean for the makeup of the staff.

Freddy Garcia (RHP, ATL) was signed to a minor league contract late last month. The 37-year-old has an opt out clause in the pact that allows him to walk away if he’s not locked into a spot on the major league roster by March 25. As we said last month, Alex Wood (LHP, ATL) will be on an innings limit this season, but it is not yet clear exactly how the Braves will handle that. It remains our belief that Wood will most likely open the season in the starting rotation, but it’s possible that the team could choose to open the season with Garcia as fifth starter and Wood in the bullpen with Wood eventually sliding into the starting five. The main argument for this strategy would be that it might be easier way to manage Wood’s innings while also giving the team another lefty in the pen while Jonny Venters (LHP, ATL), is out. Barring the unforeseen, Garcia seems destined for a long relief role. Meanwhile, Gavin Floyd (RHP, ATL) is still targeting a return sometime in May.

The departure of Eric O’Flaherty (LHP, OAK) via free agency leaves a spot wide open for one of the two left-handed relievers we profiled last month: Ryan Buchter (LHP, ATL) or Atahualpa Severino (LHP, ATL). The aforementioned Venters, who had Tommy John surgery last May, hopes to return sometime in May or June.
    Last edited by Krgrecw; 03-20-2014 at 06:43 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-28-2014), Knucksie (02-28-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Good synopsis. I hope the 25th man competition boils down to Pastornicky, Greene, or someone who is on another roster at the moment. I like Terdoslavich, but I agree that the acquisition of Doumit makes him redundant. I fear the presence of Constanza.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    So, Venters starts the year on the DL, as expected. What's the latest on Beachy's status?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The bullpen is probably the area of greatest uncertainty/competition. Four spots are spoken for: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Carpenter. The contenders for the remaining three spots include some guys who have been mainly starters: Garcia, Hale, Wood, Martin, Maya. There are a couple others who pitched at the major league level but aren't guaranteed anything: Varvaro and Gearrin. Both are out of options, which tends to help a player's chances if the competition is a close call. Then there are the contenders who pitched in AAA last year: Obispo, Buchter, Severino, Vasquez, Lamm. And some longshots who pitched mainly at lower levels in the minors last year: Jaime, Graham, Hoyt, Harper, Batista, Schlosser, Northcraft, Simmons.

My guess is Wood starts the season in the rotation. One of Buchter or Severino will win a spot as the second lefty in the pen. The remaining two pen spots are wide open. Two years ago we picked up Livan and the Durbinator at the end of spring training. Something like that is a possibility.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-28-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    So, Venters starts the year on the DL, as expected. What's the latest on Beachy's status?
    He's had a normal off season and spring training so far. No restrictions. I believe he is pitching today.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (02-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I just don't believe that Garcia will be our long man at the start of the year. He will be in the rotation for a month and the Braves will assess when the right time to place Wood into the rotation.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I just don't believe that Garcia will be our long man at the start of the year. He will be in the rotation for a month and the Braves will assess when the right time to place Wood into the rotation.
    We'll see. I think the job is Wood's to lose. If he pitches poorly, it would open up a chance for Garcia or Hale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If we all believe that Wood is one of our five best starting pitchers on the roster (and potentially better than that IMO) then what would be the ideal time to place him in the rotation if he has an innings limit? If you put him in the rotation at the start of the year then you can kiss his postseason hopes goodbye. However, if you put him in the rotation say late June/early July after giving Garcia/Hale/Floyd a chance then you have a potential #2 in your rotation come playoff time.

Thats the way I'd do it and thats the way I think the braves are going to do it. We all know that Wood is much better than Garcia at this point. Its just all about making the transition at the best possible time to win a world series.
    Natural Immunity Croc

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (02-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    If we all believe that Wood is one of our five best starting pitchers on the roster (and potentially better than that IMO) then what would be the ideal time to place him in the rotation if he has an innings limit? If you put him in the rotation at the start of the year then you can kiss his postseason hopes goodbye. However, if you put him in the rotation say late June/early July after giving Garcia/Hale/Floyd a chance then you have a potential #2 in your rotation come playoff time.

Thats the way I'd do it and thats the way I think the braves are going to do it. We all know that Wood is much better than Garcia at this point. Its just all about making the transition at the best possible time to win a world series.
    If there is an innings limit issue for Wood the way I would handle it is to move him to the pen for a while when Floyd is ready. Have Wood pitch out of the pen for a month or two. Then the last two months of the season and post-season go with our five best starters.

Floyd is a better pitcher than Garcia. If we have to move Wood out of the rotation to limit his innings, it makes more sense that it be in favor of Floyd than Garcia.

It is interesting to me that Wood, Garcia and Hale are all being stretched out in spring training. It does suggest a competition of sorts to see who begins the season in the rotation.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-28-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Not sure if this is what you were saying but I would not be in favor of moving someone from the rotation to the pen and then potentially back to the rotation.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Not sure if this is what you were saying but I would not be in favor of moving someone from the rotation to the pen and then potentially back to the rotation.
    I understand the issues with how it might affect a young pitcher's arm to go from starting to relieving to starting again. But I'm not sure that this is avoided in your scenario. Keep in mind that the Braves plan to have Wood prepare as a starter this spring training. He'll be going six innings by the end of spring training. So even under your scenario his arm goes from being prepared for starting to a period in the pen to back to being prepared to start. If concern about what this does to a young pitchers arm were the overriding consideration the Braves would have him spend spring training as a reliever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Smoltz?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Smoltz?
    In one season?
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    That bench is shaping up to be very poor. Wren really needs to find a solid bench bat for that last spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    That bench is shaping up to be very poor. Wren really needs to find a solid bench bat for that last spot.
    Have anyone in mind?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    In one season?
    Jim Acker used to do middle relief and spot starting. So, it's not unusal.

With Medlen, Minor and Teheran set and Beachy presumably ready, they're in good shape to start the year. The 5th guy isn't going to get many starts in April, anyway, and then there's a decision with Freddy Garcia and Gavin Floyd eventually coming back. So, there's really the luxury of not having to rush things with Wood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Jim Acker used to do middle relief and spot starting. So, it's not unusal.

With Medlen, Minor and Teheran set and Beachy presumably ready, they're in good shape to start the year. The 5th guy isn't going to get many starts in April, anyway, and then there's a decision with Freddy Garcia and Gavin Floyd eventually coming back. So, there's really the luxury of not having to rush things with Wood.
    Minor might miss a week or so at the start of the season. We will need a fourth starter if that happens.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Have anyone in mind?
    Nope, but only because it isn't really that important. Basically a bat to sit behind Doumit as another PHer. Maybe Terdo is that guy, so who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Update on competition for bullpen spots:

Gearrin and Thomas have helped their causes with two strong appearances so far. Buchter, Obispo, Graham and Varvaro have struggled. Severino was solid in his one appearance. Garcia, Wood and Hale have all done fairly well in their one start.

As I noted earlier four of the pen spots are spoken for. Kimbrel, Walden, Carpenter and Avilan have those. Nothing has changed in that regard.

The pecking order for the other three spots has changed a little. I consider Garcia to now be the favorite for the long-man role. Gearrin has probably moved ahead of Varvaro for one spot. The last spot probably goes to a lefty. Buchter was probably the favorite at the start of spring training, but I think it is neck-and-neck now between him, Thomas and Severino.

Luis Vasquez has yet to pitch due to a lat injury suffered at the end of Winter ball. A lot of us were looking forward to seeing him pitch. It now looks unlikely he will start the season on the major league roster.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-02-2014 at 04:56 PM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm rooting for Atahualpa, Inca God of Inherited Runners Stranded.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-05-2014)