Thread: Spring Training Gamethread/Discussion

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Breaking down the box:

Does Schafer have to worry about Cunningham? I'd say definitely, based on the first three games. Schafer can't make contact, while Cunningham today was 2-for-2 with a homer, a walk, a stolen base and an outfield assist. He's also worked out at second and third.

Uggla had two walks and a sac fly and is still perfect this spring. La Stella 1-for-3 with a walk.

Freeman 2-for-2 with a double, walk and RBI. He's ready.

How about JoeyT? three walks, stolen base today, run scored. played both left and right.

Two pitching concerns on which many things hinge: Beachy unable to make it through two innings, allowing five hits (two runs, earned) with a walk and a strikeout.
    Graham (uh-oh) unable to finish one inning, three hits, walk, two runs
    Walden (uh-oh) two hits, two runs in one inning (walk, two doubles)
    PLUS: Ian Thomas strikes out the side in his inning. Kimbrel one hit, two Ks in his middle inning appearance. Cory Gearrin also perfect coming in to bail out Beachy.
    Holy small sample size Batman!

I am worried we are going to go 0-162 (plus all the winless games in spring training)!
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 03-01-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    In terms of how they project offensively, there isn't much to choose from between Schafer, Cunningham and Constanza. You have to look at other elements to try to pick between the three and they each have arguments in their favor.

For Schafer, the arguments in his favor are that he is the best defensive outfielder of the three and the best base runner.

Constanza is the third best defensively of the three and second best base runner. What he has in his favor is an uncanny ability to come through in big moments.

Cunningham's advantage is the ability to fill in as an infielder if necessary. I also like the fact he is a switch hitter.

I believe Schafer is the only one of the three out of options and that might be the deciding factor at the end of spring training in terms of which one makes the team. I do think there is a chance that two of these players makes the team, depending on how they stack up relative to Joey T and Pastornicky.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    In terms of how they project offensively, there isn't much to choose from between Schafer, Cunningham and Constanza. You have to look at other elements to try to pick between the three and they each have arguments in their favor.

For Schafer, the arguments in his favor are that he is the best defensive outfielder of the three and the best base runner.

Constanza is the third best defensively of the three and second best base runner. What he has in his favor is an uncanny ability to come through in big moments.

Cunningham's advantage is the ability to fill in as an infielder if necessary. I also like the fact he is a switch hitter.

I believe Schafer is the only one of the three out of options and that might be the deciding factor at the end of spring training in terms of which one makes the team. I do think there is a chance that two of these players makes the team, depending on how they stack up relative to Joey T and Pastornicky.
    Schafer's also the only one on a Major League contract so when you drop him you still have to pay him. Not big $ but I'm sur its a factor.

Think there's room for two of the three actually. And all three will spend some time in the majors in all likeyhood. Cunningham and Costanza can go back and forth as many times as the team wants.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think the problem with Schafer is that he may be one of those guys who fits the tautology of "he needs to have consistent playing time to be good, but he's not consistently good enough to merit the playing time." He can be a spark plug in doses and the guy is a tremendous defensive outfielder and base-runner, but his contact skills are really lousy.

Curious to see if (and how much) playing time in the IF Cunningham gets. If he could play a passable 2B or 3B, that would help him tremendously.

Put me in the column of never wanting Constanza to get another major league AB in a Braves' uniform.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (03-01-2014), zedsdead (03-01-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the problem with Schafer is that he may be one of those guys who fits the tautology of "he needs to have consistent playing time to be good, but he's not consistently good enough to merit the playing time." He can be a spark plug in doses and the guy is a tremendous defensive outfielder and base-runner, but his contact skills are really lousy.

Curious to see if (and how much) playing time in the IF Cunningham gets. If he could play a passable 2B or 3B, that would help him tremendously.

Put me in the column of never wanting Constanza to get another major league AB in a Braves' uniform.
    Schafer's problem is that he just sucks (at the plate).

I think Cunningham is MUCH better for the team, at this point. If things continue like they have so far, my prediction will pan out. Cunningham over Schafer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (03-01-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I would like to see Schafer traded for a LHP. Even if you have to throw in Gearrin to get it done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I would like to see Schafer traded for a LHP. Even if you have to throw in Gearrin to get it done.
    But but Gearrin is one of my favorites. Can we trade Varvaro instead?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Schafer's problem is that he just sucks (at the plate).

I think Cunningham is MUCH better for the team, at this point. If things continue like they have so far, my prediction will pan out. Cunningham over Schafer.
    I'm curious how big a difference you think there is between Cunningham and Schafer. What kind of OPS are you expecting from them in 2014?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    But but Gearrin is one of my favorites. Can we trade Varvaro instead?
    That works fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I'm curious how big a difference you think there is between Cunningham and Schafer. What kind of OPS are you expecting from them in 2014?
    I think, right away, there is a difference of several hundred thousand. Cunningham can also play infield. His speed is right there with Schafer (better even), though Schafer is a more seasoned baserunner. Defense is behind (not much). Bat is ahead (maybe not much, but he makes consistent contact and lets his speed work for him).

The LHP I am interested in is Drew Smyly, but I don't think Detroit has any use for Schafer(it would take more, anyway, but he would also serve as rotation depth, which would be nice).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I like Smyly too. Le Carré wrote a novel titled Smiley's People. I think he misspelt his name.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-01-2014 at 01:27 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (03-01-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I think, right away, there is a difference of several hundred thousand. Cunningham can also play infield. His speed is right there with Schafer (better even), though Schafer is a more seasoned baserunner. Defense is behind (not much). Bat is ahead (maybe not much, but he makes consistent contact and lets his speed work for him).

The LHP I am interested in is Drew Smyly, but I don't think Detroit has any use for Schafer(it would take more, anyway, but he would also serve as rotation depth, which would be nice).

You understand the reason they traded Fister was to create a rotation spot for Smyly, right???

9 Jordan Schafers don't get you Smyly.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You understand the reason they traded Fister was to create a rotation spot for Smyly, right???

9 Jordan Schafers don't get you Smyly.
    We have more than nine of them, but that wouldn't get it done, either. I even said as much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    As I recall George Smiley vanquished Karla in the end. Very good novel. This thread is making me want to read some le Carré. Maybe I'll stop by the book store tonight.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (03-01-2014)

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Personally have to think the "ideal" bench would be...

Laird
    Doumit
    Pena
    Cunningham
    Terdoslavich

Of course that's assuming Cunningham proves remotely adequate at 2B or 3B.

Laird - C/PH
    Doumit - PH/RF/C/1B
    Pena - PH/2B/3B/SS
    Cunningham - PH/CF/LF/RF/2B/3B
    Terdoslavich - PH/LF/RF/1B/3B (in a pinch)

Having three switch-hitters on the bench would be awesome - possibly an even bigger advantage than having three lefties in the pen or three Cs on the roster IMO.
    If Cunningham proves to be adequate at 2B and 3B then I agree with you. One of the reasons I wasn't a huge fan of the Doumit trade is because it kinda blocks Terdoslavich and I'm a huge fan of Joey T and what he could possibly do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Holy small sample size Batman!

I am worried we are going to go 0-162 (plus all the winless games in spring training)!
    I seriously thought about posting that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

I have been screaming this for 2 years now and keep getting verbally abused for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    That kid, Chris Jones, that the Braves traded to the O's last year for Luis Ayala was just released by Baltimore. I don't know if he is hurt or what because he had decent numbers last year in the minors. But I agree that trading Schafer for a LHP in the pen would be ideal and I would gladly add Varvaro to make it work. A guy I like, that we wouldn't be able to get for Schafer and Varvaro is Jerry Blevins from the A's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    I have been screaming this for 2 years now and keep getting verbally abused for it.
    No, you don't. There might be two people around here who advocate using Constanza, and they only want him used in September/October. Fredi is the only real fan. And maybe Constanza's mother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Buchter has been shaky in his two outings so far. Wonder when Severino will get a chance.