Thread: Ian Thomas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Ian Thomas

We've learned with Beachy and Gattis that pedigree and age can be misleading. So let's set aside Thomas' age and roundabout route to being part of a major league organization. Instead let's look at what he's done.

In AA last year, he struck out 123 and walked 37 in 104 innings. He spent the first half of the season as a reliever and the second half as a starter. His strikeout rate dropped as a starter, but was still impressive at 1 per inning. He is almost as effective against righties as he is against lefties--a slightly over 3 strikeout per walk ratio against righties and slightly over 4 to 1 ratio against lefties. Those are fantastic numbers.

Now in spring training he's continued to put up strong strikeout to walk ratios--seven strikeouts and two walks in four and a third innings.

Thomas does not light up a radar gun. Reports are his fastball tops about around 90. Still those strikeout to walk numbers can't be ignored.

I think he's going to play in Atlanta this year. He's in a competition with Buchter for a spot as the second lefty in the pen. I'm rooting for both of them. I will say that a part of me wants Thomas to go to AAA so he can continue to develop as a starter. A pitcher who can start in the majors is almost always more valuable than a reliever, and there are indications Thomas might make it as a starter.

The uncertainty now surrounding Medlen (and to a lesser extent Minor and Beachy) makes me think that it more important than ever to have guys in the AAA rotation that can come up to the majors and be effective as starters. I think we have one such player in Hale. And I'm increasingly convinced that Thomas could do it too, and perhaps has a better upside than Hale. Interestingly, both are about the same age (1987 birthdates) and both took unconventional (though different) paths to professional baseball. The Braves have had a lot of luck (make that skill) in finding good players with unconventional backgrounds the last few years.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-09-2014 at 03:34 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

rico43 (03-10-2014)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Would not be surprised if Thomas were to make the team out of spring training as the lefty long reliever. Some of us wanted him added to the roster last August.