Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Ervin Santana to 1 year 14.1M deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Zero mention on twitter, roto, espn, etc of that quote......fake-fake-fake-fake
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRule For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (03-12-2014), jpx7 (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Zero mention on twitter, roto, espn, etc of that quote......fake-fake-fake-fake
    if so, that is ban-worthy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

thethe (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    if so, that is ban-worthy.
    Yes BUT....I don't understand why anyone would believe that in the first place.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BRule For This Useful Post:

weso1 (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Yes BUT....I don't understand why anyone would believe that in the first place.
    Because we're excited and vulnerable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    How dare someone toy with my emotions whilest I peruse the internet.
    thank you weso1!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-12-2014), NYCBrave (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    #Braves McGuirk: "We want to send a message to the guys in this clubhouse and our fans and sponsors, that we expect to win, we want to win."

Its clear that Liberty sees the Braves as a profitable business with untapped market potential. Great sign.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Why should we assume that at this point? Braves could end up spending more money.

Also, its very likely that Santana will net a first round pick for the Braves next year.
    EXACTLY. There's a chance that they'll get a better pick than 26 in the deal, and the way player development works, a guy drafted 26th this year still would likely need 2-3 years to reach the bigs. So if Santana is worth a first-rounder next year, then it's more of a deferral than lost of a pick. I hope to God the Braves didn't promise him not to give him a qualifying offer.

Have we gotten a link or confirmation on the Wren quote. I am considering the OP less than totally credible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Well, I for one still choose to believe the fake quote.
    thank you weso1!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (03-12-2014), Mrs. Meta (03-12-2014), thethe (03-12-2014), yeezus (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I legitimately want the guy banned for that.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (03-12-2014), rico43 (03-12-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Actually I was the one that was punked on that one, I got it sent to me via text from a buddy, I was so damn excited I posted it here instantly, but after further review, I can't find the quote anywhere either so I believe it is fake. Can't get him to fess up or give me a link either

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I knew it from the moment I saw decision spelled wrong.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-12-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Sorry, I'm as peeved as all of you are, I'm not very happy at the moment with myself or my buddy. Can't believe I fell for it.

But there are some good vibes coming from McCuirk that are legit.

We are entering unchartered territory, and despite the circumstances and its too bad what happened to Medlen, one has to be excited about the last month or so locking in the young talent and spending the money for the future, all the while spending currently and trying to bolster the team.

I like the Santana move, think he is going to have a "HELL" of a year for the Braves, at least I hope so. Always have really liked his stuff when he was with the Angels, hopefully he puts it all together.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Wow. What a morning.

For anyone who doesn't like this move, consider the following.

Give or take a few on either side, MLB has about 30 pitchers who make it to 200 innings pitched every year. It's really hard to do in this era of baseball. Part of the reason our pitching did so well last year was because we had Mike Minor achieve that feat, and had 2 others (Medlen, Teheran) that came fairly close to it. Obviously Medlen can't do that now, and Minor is questionable. By getting Santana, we at least stand a halfway decent chance of getting at least 400ish quality innings out of the rotation, or maybe even more if Minor comes back strong. It's not outlandish to think that perhaps we might have 3 pitchers flirt with 200 innings again. For a contending team, you cannot expect to go to war with only one or two guys that have proven that they can go the whole season, and win. I really like what I've seen out of Wood, but he's apparently on a limit. And we may have another Beachy that comes out of nowhere. But you can't assume that will happen. At some point, you owe it to your team to solve a problem with a proven commodity, and Santana was the closest to that we were going to get at this point.

As for the WHIP argument, consider a basic example: Two pitchers pitch in seperate games. One gives up a home run, two singles, and gets out of the inning. Another gives up two singles, then a home run. Vastly different outcomes, yet WHIP views their performances to be the same value. It's a fun at a glance stat, but just that.

As for the fake quote:

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheresmykayak For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (03-12-2014), thethe (03-12-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I legitimately want the guy banned for that.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (03-12-2014), yeezus (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

What Wren really said

Here are Wren's quotes in DOB's story:

“It just worked out that he had not reached an agreement yet,” Wren said, “and so once we had the injuries, we reached out to his agent…. We’re thrilled to have him, and we feel like he really gives us a big shot in the arm as far as the rotation’s concerned.

“In light of what’s happened over the past few days with our pitching staff, we thought it was incumbent on us to do everything we could to strengthen our starting pitching.”

“This is an incredible decision by the organization, because this is going to push us well above what we thought our budget would be this year,” Wren said. “But Mr. McGuirk and John jumped in to say this is important for our team, and made a big commitment.”

“Literally the afternoon that Kris Medlen got hurt, I reached out to Jay Alou by text,” Wren said. “And then we started talking (Tuesday) and trying to see if there was a match. When I reached out originally it was because I knew from media reports that he was down the road with some other clubs who had a big head start on us (in negotiations). So we tried to see if there was still a chance for us to get in the mix.

“I think once we started talking, we realized that Ervin was very interested in us as well, that he thought this was a good opportunity for him, and it was a perfect for us for. We’re fortunate that it all fit at the right time. Another day later, we might not have been able to make it happen.”

“We don’t have any finality on Brandon, or Kris — we don’t know what’s going to happen with either guy, and we’re still hoping for the best,” Wren said. “But just knowing where we were depth-wise, we felt it was really important (to sign Santana)…. Throughout the winter, we didn’t feel like we were going to be in this (starting pitcher) market, but we felt like Ervin was the No. 1 guy in the market. We always felt that he was the guy that, if we were going to go out there (and sign a frontline pitcher), he was the guy that we would love to have.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Here are Wren's quotes in DOB's story:

“It just worked out that he had not reached an agreement yet,” Wren said, “and so once we had the injuries, we reached out to his agent…. We’re thrilled to have him, and we feel like he really gives us a big shot in the arm as far as the rotation’s concerned.

“In light of what’s happened over the past few days with our pitching staff, we thought it was incumbent on us to do everything we could to strengthen our starting pitching.”

“This is an incredible decision by the organization, because this is going to push us well above what we thought our budget would be this year,” Wren said. “But Mr. McGuirk and John jumped in to say this is important for our team, and made a big commitment.”

“Literally the afternoon that Kris Medlen got hurt, I reached out to Jay Alou by text,” Wren said. “And then we started talking (Tuesday) and trying to see if there was a match. When I reached out originally it was because I knew from media reports that he was down the road with some other clubs who had a big head start on us (in negotiations). So we tried to see if there was still a chance for us to get in the mix.

“I think once we started talking, we realized that Ervin was very interested in us as well, that he thought this was a good opportunity for him, and it was a perfect for us for. We’re fortunate that it all fit at the right time. Another day later, we might not have been able to make it happen.”

“We don’t have any finality on Brandon, or Kris — we don’t know what’s going to happen with either guy, and we’re still hoping for the best,” Wren said. “But just knowing where we were depth-wise, we felt it was really important (to sign Santana)…. Throughout the winter, we didn’t feel like we were going to be in this (starting pitcher) market, but we felt like Ervin was the No. 1 guy in the market. We always felt that he was the guy that, if we were going to go out there (and sign a frontline pitcher), he was the guy that we would love to have.”
    I'm not falling for that one again

27. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-12-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    When asked about the potential move that he is currently working on, Wren stated, "I can't elaborate, but all I will say, is it is going to change the landscape of our division and all of baseball, and Braves fans are going to be exciting as we will field the best pitching staff in baseball that will rival the days of Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz."

Wonder who he is alluding to?

This can't be true! Wren always keeps stuff close to his chest. This is a fake quote I bet!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Again, we should just feel fortunate that a pitcher of this caliber (Santana) was available this late because if he wasn't other teams would have known we were desperate and would have looked to rape our system, or we would have had to stand pat, or worse yet go JS route 2003 and sign a piece of trash like Shane Reynolds which did not and would not improve the rotation at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I'm not falling for that one again
    Here's the link:

http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/20...dled-rotation/

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-12-2014), Mrs. Meta (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Again, we should just feel fortunate that a pitcher of this caliber (Santana) was available this late because if he wasn't other teams would have known we were desperate and would have looked to rape our system, or we would have had to stand pat, or worse yet go JS route 2003 and sign a piece of trash like Shane Reynolds which did not and would not improve the rotation at all.
    Twice in a morning, you've vented about a pitcher who threw for the Braves in 2003!! Obsess much?