Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Ervin Santana to 1 year 14.1M deal

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Yeah but I'd imagine the market will be different next year as salaries are ballooning due to increased revenues. If he has another good year then his price skyrockets. I guess it isn't easy to turn down money though.
    I doubt it skyrockets that much. The reason he hasn't signed a good deal already is because of the qualifying offer. If he has another good year that team will put that out there again likely leaving him in the same spot. It sucks for the non premier free agents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I doubt it skyrockets that much. The reason he hasn't signed a good deal already is because of the qualifying offer. If he has another good year that team will put that out there again likely leaving him in the same spot. It sucks for the non premier free agents.
    Teams like the Braves are spending money though. The business of baseball is very healthy right now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Teams like the Braves are spending money though. The business of baseball is very healthy right now.
    Mainly on our own guys. The point is if you have a qualifying offer attached to you. You are likely going to sign late and less then what you would expect unless you are a premier free agent.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    To me, whether or not acquiring Santana is a good idea depends a lot more on contract length than specific cost (whether annual or total). A one-year deal is probably short enough to make relinquishing the Braves' earliest pick difficult to justify—though of course, if Santana pitches well, an qualifying-offer next year could net the Braves a bit of compensation in that regard. A three-plus year deal, on the other hand, isn't just problematic in the normal way multi-year contracts usually are, but moreover because Santana's salary jeopardizing the re-signing of Heyward, Upton, or both would be a travesty.

If, however, the Braves can lock Santana down for two years (at a reasonable price), then I think the acquisition isn't unjustifiable, given the cost-certainty of much of the remaining roster (and, remember, Wren himself did dub such cost-certainty "flexibility").
    The Braves are in a win now mode. They can't let giving up a first round draft pick factor into the decision. If they think Santana can help them win and they have the money to do it, then it's a no brainer, and you still have the pick from the Yankees, so it's not like you are left with nothing.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvsportscaster For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-11-2014), BedellBrave (03-11-2014), bravesnumberone (03-11-2014), DirkPiggler (03-11-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...er-1-year-deal

Sounds mostly likely the O's or Jays.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I loathe giving up draft picks, but I think tvsportscaster is correct. We have the Yankee pick. We have a lot of our younger players tied up contractually. Need more pitching.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...er-1-year-deal

Sounds mostly likely the O's or Jays.
    Sounds about right. I just don't see how that can fit 13-14 million into this years budget.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Sounds about right. I just don't see how that can fit 13-14 million into this years budget.
    Well we probably could have had Santana if we wouldn't have overpaid for that piece of garbage arm by the name of Gavin Floyd.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Well we probably could have had Santana if we wouldn't have overpaid for that piece of garbage arm by the name of Gavin Floyd.
    Who knows. But if Floyd returns to form then he is a better pitcher then Santana.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    No way Floyd is better than Santana. While Santana has been inconsistent and has had 2 subpar years which appear to be an fluke, Floyd has proven to be consistently...........mediocre except for one year.

And stuff wise, not even close, Santana is the type of guy that could come to the NL and an environment like Atlanta and become an absolute stud like Vasquez was in his one year here.

And combine that after the fact that Santana is healthy and proven to be durable, while Floyd is attempting to come back from major surgery and the decesion isn't even close.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    No way Floyd is better than Santana. While Santana has been inconsistent and has had 2 subpar years which appear to be an fluke, Floyd has proven to be consistently...........mediocre except for one year.

And stuff wise, not even close, Santana is the type of guy that could come to the NL and an environment like Atlanta and become an absolute stud like Vasquez was in his one year here.

And combine that after the fact that Santana is healthy and proven to be durable, while Floyd is attempting to come back from major surgery and the decesion isn't even close.
    Yeah, I know finances come into it, but outside of that it's a no brainer, and yes, Santana would probably thrive in the NL in that ballpark, as opposed to pitching everyday in the AL East. It will be interesting, but I think the Braves pretty much figure Medlen is toast and they need to make a move.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

Floyd WAR from 08-11. 2.4, 4.2, 4.0, 3.4. That's pretty damn good. From 09-12 Santana was at 1.1, 1.9, 2.6, -1.0. You are right. Not really close.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Weird how nobody realizes that Floyd was really good before his injury.
    Natural Immunity Croc

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Weird how nobody realizes that Floyd was really good before his injury.
    For the White Sox too. Really tough park to pitch in. I didn't realize he was that good until I looked up his stats. I did a complete 180 after my initial grumps about the signing. It was a very underrated signing. And now is even more critical.
    thank you weso1!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    The Braves are in a win now mode. They can't let giving up a first round draft pick factor into the decision. If they think Santana can help them win and they have the money to do it, then it's a no brainer, and you still have the pick from the Yankees, so it's not like you are left with nothing.
    I guess I agree with this, but it's not easy to do so considering the Braves are in a position where they need to rebuild the farm.
    thank you weso1!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I don't care what the statistics say, I've seen him pitch enough throughout the years to know that the guy is not a good pitcher, mediocre at best, even pitching in the confines if Chicago.

The guy is all smoke and mirrors ala Russ Ortiz.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I don't care what the statistics say, I've seen him pitch enough throughout the years to know that the guy is not a good pitcher, mediocre at best, even pitching in the confines if Chicago.

The guy is all smoke and mirrors ala Russ Ortiz.
    If he was all smoke and mirrors he wouldn't of had a strong FIP before getting hurt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Bowman tweeted we are close to signing Santana!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    It's happening. We're getting Santana.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to COGPK For This Useful Post:

thethe (03-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So glad our season isn't over before the calendar turns to April. If this guy duplicates what he did last year then we should still be favorites to make the postseason.

Most importantly the message this signing sends is big. Ownership is FINALLY investing back into the team and its clear the objective is to be as good as possible when we go into Cobb County. It truly is a BRAVE NEW WORLD!
    Natural Immunity Croc