Thread: Braves and Tommy John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Braves and Tommy John

What's the deal??? This is from an article 2 years old and we've had more since then.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Look at the injuries at UGA, Falcons, and even Hawks. Being an athlete in Georgia is tough on the joints

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    JS made a deal with the devil to keep the division championship streak alive, and now we're paying for it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

Runnin (03-11-2014), The Chosen One (03-11-2014), zitothebrave (03-11-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    What's depressing is the other two teams in the top 3, have 5 World Series wins in the 21st Century.
    Forever Fredi

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Being an athlete in Georgia is tough on the joints
    But the rap musics have led me to believe it's fairly easy to have joints in Georgia.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (03-11-2014), Runnin (03-11-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    But the rap musics have led me to believe it's fairly easy to have joints in Georgia.
    Forever Fredi

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Teheran_49 (03-11-2014), thethe (03-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Maybe the reason is just simply because we have more pitchers than anyone else?
    thank you weso1!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I do know that FW likes to draft guys who have already had the procedure, or at least that's what I've read some where. I mean pitching is taxing on the arm and it's very rare to see guys go an entire career without having the surgery done.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I could be wrong, but I think most of those Braves major league TJs have been for relievers, which isn't really bad since aside from Kimbrel, relievers are fungible. Another facor is that one of those players which puts us all alone in the lead is Kelly Johnson and a position player needing it is pretty freak.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Can't help but think it has something to do with good pitchers who have long careers, i.e. Hudson, Glavine Smoltz, etc.., When was the last time, any of the teams on the lower have a starting pitcher that logged 10 years? Not to mention, organizations that do not produce quality pitchers, don't have guys who hang around MLB long enough to have TJ.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Starting to think Leo was right about that weird throwing program....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (03-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Starting to think Leo was right about that weird throwing program....
    Lots of guys had TJ under Leo. The list above is all time, not just in the last few years.

In fact of the 30 guys that have had TJ while on the Braves, 14 were from Leo's tenure. of the 16 guys under Roger, the major leaguers were Lerew, Viz, Beachy, EOF, Venters, KJ, Medlen, Gonzalez, Moylan, and Hudson. Gonzalez was basically damaged goods. We barely had him before getting hurt. Viz and Beachy have hip separation issues, EOF Venters and Moylan are relievers which are fungible. Medlen has timing issues. Hudson had a lot of mileage on his arm at that point, KJ was a position player. Not really much Roger could do with them. Throwing schedule or otherwise.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    No stigma (if that's the right word) attached to the procedure anymore. Organizations would almost prefer that a young pitcher has already had it done. It wouldn't be a shock to see us get to the point where it starts getting performed before symptoms emerge.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    (1) Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux were all exemplary athletes. I think Medlen is a good athlete as well, but as good as Leo may or may not have been, he was blessed with supremely athletic pitchers. And let's remember that Millwood, Smoltz, and Pete Smith all had arm troubles--not necessarily Tommy John--while under Leo's tutelage. Maddux and Glavine weren't power pitchers, so the leverage issue didn't apply as much to them as it did to the other guys.

(2) I still think in Medlen's case a lot of this is the "Curse of the Sub-6 foot RHP." Can't get the leverage needed to create enough downward movement without creating a ton of strain on the arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Medlen has a few things working against him and his height certainly is a big one. What you described often happens in shorter guys. Kimbrel's gonna have arm issues at some point for similar reasons.

Generally when you're taller you put less effort into velocity.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    (1) Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux were all exemplary athletes. I think Medlen is a good athlete as well, but as good as Leo may or may not have been, he was blessed with supremely athletic pitchers. And let's remember that Millwood, Smoltz, and Pete Smith all had arm troubles--not necessarily Tommy John--while under Leo's tutelage. Maddux and Glavine weren't power pitchers, so the leverage issue didn't apply as much to them as it did to the other guys.
    Smoltz was a special case, compared with Glavine and Maddux. He threw harder and the slider put greater stress on the elbow joint. Just read his book. FWIW, he disagrees with the pitch count and innings limit trend. Nobody wanted to discuss the topic at Scout in my thread on the subject. My purpose was to consider the possibility that pitch counts and innings limits were contibuting to the increase of pitchers (especially younger ones) to DL time. Arm strength isn't being built up properly by adequate thowing sessions between starts.

Maddux was an early adaptor of the 6 innings and turn it over to the pen. Starters now get paid more for doing less.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-11-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Smoltz was a special case, compared with Glavine and Maddux. He threw harder and the slider put greater stress on the elbow joint. Just read his book. FWIW, he disagrees with the pitch count and innings limit trend. Nobody wanted to discuss the topic at Scout in my thread on the subject. My purpose was to consider the possibility that pitch counts and innings limits were contibuting to the increase of pitchers (especially younger ones) to DL time. Arm strength isn't being built up properly by adequate thowing sessions between starts.

Maddux was an early adaptor of the 6 innings and turn it over to the pen. Starters now get paid more for doing less.
    Agreed.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jason27nc (03-12-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Medlen has a few things working against him and his height certainly is a big one. What you described often happens in shorter guys. Kimbrel's gonna have arm issues at some point for similar reasons.

Generally when you're taller you put less effort into velocity.
    That and arm angle. Three or four inches of height added to three or four inches of arm length create a release point where the pitch's trajectory can be in the lower part of the strike zone with less arm strain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That and arm angle. Three or four inches of height added to three or four inches of arm length create a release point where the pitch's trajectory can be in the lower part of the strike zone with less arm strain.
    Yup. I hinted at Medlen rushing years ago and having issues staying healthy as a starter. It was of course laughed off but I still think I'm right. It's harder to stay with strong timing as a shorter pitcher. TIming issues lead to injuries. It's also hard to do if you're really tall overhand. I think that's a big reason why RJ was so healthy and dominant while guys like Chris Johnson or Strasburg have timing issues.