Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it too early to give up on BJ Upton?

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Is it too early to give up on him? Yes.
    Is it too early to move him to the bottom of the lineup where he belongs? Absolutely not.
    This.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'm willing to give him enough rope in the 2-hole to last through the first home stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Superstar levels? One season above 30 home runs and he had never hit above .290 in a season. Please elaborate on what superstar numbers he has? Superstars are Miggy and Trout currently.
    Shows how much you research... he actually hit .300 in 2009 and put up an .899 OPS... in 2011 he up up a .289 avg with an .898 OPS... if he did that every year with 20 SBs, he'd easily be a superstar, especially in the post steroid era. Since when do you have to hit over .290 to be a superstar? And in this age of baseball hitting 30 homers in a season or close to it is pretty impressive. He's not a superstar, no... but zito is definitely right that he has put up superstar like numbers when you factor in that he also has 20-30 SB speed. You say Miggy and Trout are currently superstars, you're right... but zito never said Justin was a superstar currently... just that he's put up superstar like stats in his career, which he has (but way to basically just look at Avg and homers to back up your conclusion).

2 All-Star games and a 4th finish in the MVP voting by the age of 26... how is that not impressive?
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 04-03-2014 at 10:51 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Shows how much you research... he actually hit .300 in 2009 and put up an .899 OPS... in 2011 he up up a .289 avg with an .898 OPS... if he did that every year with 20 SBs, he'd easily be a superstar, especially in the post steroid era. Since when do you have to hit over .290 to be a superstar? And in this age of baseball hitting 30 homers in a season or close to it is pretty impressive. He's not a superstar, no... but zito is definitely right that he has put up superstar like numbers when you factor in that he also has 20-30 SB speed. You say Miggy and Trout are currently superstars, you're right... but zito never said Justin was a superstar currently... just that he's put up superstar like stats in his career, which he has (but way to basically just look at Avg and homers to back up your conclusion).

2 All-Star games and a 4th finish in the MVP voting by the age of 26... how is that not impressive?
    How is that superstar level?
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (04-03-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    OMG, Justin is 10 times the player Prado is and its not even close... good lord. Last year was no contest... Upton was light years ahead of Prado and even less streaky.
    In which ways? Prado is a better defender and can play multiple positions.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This debate is really silly.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Really?
    Prado was terrible for most of the year last year. We'd have been running in front of traffic if we had kept Prado instead of trading him for Upton knowing the deal could have been made and wasn't.
    Some of you really only see what you want and make up your own facts. Prado was not better than JUp last year, and it wasn't that close.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    B.J. is done, I'm sorry but the guy can't even a hit a fastball down main street. I don't really get the Justin hate, he's a good player. Most hitters are streaky except the exceptional ones like a Freeman or Chipper. He may not be the .300/30/100 guy everyone has hoped for but he's still a .280/25/90 guy that plays very good defense in LF. Is he a mega star like Heyward or Freeman? No, but if he's your third best hitter in the line-up then that is more than fine. Who really is a better upgrade than JUp for LF? No one that we can afford. You don't need a perennial MVP at every position. We have two stars in J-Hey and Free and that's essentially all you need with some good players around them like Chris Johnson,JUp and Andrelton.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

All star games do not mean anything. It considers the first half of the season and that's all. Sure he had one impressive season where he got some MVP votes, but other than that he has been above average and nothing more.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You have to make that trade for Justin 100 times out of 100. He's younger and a better player. I love Prado as a player and the ability to play 2nd or 3rd and hit certainly help his value, but he's not on the level of Upton.

Having said that, Justin will likely never be a superstar and may not even be an all star. But, he's still a pretty darn good player.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Don't know why there is so much dislike for Prado from some of you guys. Sure Upton's season was better than Prado's, but it wasn't so one sided like so many of you think

Prado had more hits, higher batting average, more doubles, more runs batted in, and 3 times less the amount of strikeouts. The throw in player in the Chris Johnson deal had better power and drew a good amount of walks. More homers and his slash line was higher save for batting average.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Don't know why there is so much dislike for Prado from some of you guys. Sure Upton's season was better than Prado's, but it wasn't so one sided like so many of you think

Prado had more hits, higher batting average, more doubles, more runs batted in, and 3 times less the amount of strikeouts. The throw in player in the Chris Johnson deal had better power and drew a good amount of walks. More homers and his slash line was higher save for batting average.
    I don't think there's hate for Prado as much as they're implying that JUp is a much better LF than Martin. I'd love to have Martin playing 2B and wish it was a possibility but it's not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

Being real and going off facts does not equate to hate.
    I loved Prado and his approach during his time here. If it's between he and Upton, the choice requires no hesitation.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-03-2014)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    B.J. is done, I'm sorry but the guy can't even a hit a fastball down main street. I don't really get the Justin hate, he's a good player.
    I think they're closely related, actually; even though those posters jumping on Justin wouldn't admit it, I think there's been a decent amount of fraternal bleed-over in terms of disappointment and disdain.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I think they're closely related, actually; even though those posters jumping on Justin wouldn't admit it, I think there's been a decent amount of fraternal bleed-over in terms of disappointment and disdain.
    I wonder how much it may bother Justin mentally that his bro is stinking it up as bad as he is. I know he wants to see his bro succeed but it has to weigh somewhat in his mind that his bro is just garbage at the plate.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    In 2011 he had a wrc+ of 140 with a 6 war season. That is a superstar level year.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts

The past is the past. BJ for whatever reason is not the player he was. He's not working out, but we are stuck with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You have to make that trade for Justin 100 times out of 100. He's younger and a better player. I love Prado as a player and the ability to play 2nd or 3rd and hit certainly help his value, but he's not on the level of Upton.

Having said that, Justin will likely never be a superstar and may not even be an all star. But, he's still a pretty darn good player.
    Agree with this 100%.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I just find it amazing that people still talk about Upton like he is this elite player. He is what he is...a very good player but he isn't a superstar.
    At least he's productive, I'm more confident in a pitcher hitting than I am BJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    At least he's productive, I'm more confident in a pitcher hitting than I am BJ
    There is no debating this. Upton is just a big black hole right now. I was encouraged by his swings in the Spring but that doesn't mean a damn thing right now with him striking out every AB.
    Natural Immunity Croc