Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Night Talk Show Thread: (9/9/'15 Late Show w/ Stephen Colbert Begins)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Colbert is a character. He's a gimmick. This was a bad move.
    LOL.
    Says the crotchety, bitter conservative.
    He is a great interviewer, very, VERY intelligent, and one of the funniest people on TV. They made a great get by grabbing him. He will be popular.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (04-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I will miss his character on Report. I wish they just made that show an hour long.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Colbert is a character. He's a gimmick. This was a bad move.
    I'm sure it can go on your list of millions of other great predictions.

Apple Stock will reach 1000, Chromecast won't sell, Developers won't support Chromecast, and I coudl go on. You're the worst at predicting trends.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (04-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

Apple Stock will reach 1000, Chromecast won't sell, Developers won't support Chromecast, and I coudl go on. You're the worst at predicting trends.
    Only someone with a strong bias can't see how talented Colbert is. They likely get upset at his politics and the points he makes about their joke of a party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Only someone with a strong bias can't see how talented Colbert is. They likely get upset at his politics and the points he makes about their joke of a party.
    People sadly think Colbert is a one trick pony.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Colbert is gonna flop like Katie Couric. I think he's talented, but his shtick precedes him too greatly IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Colbert is gonna flop like Katie Couric. I think he's talented, but his shtick precedes him too greatly IMO.
    Goddamnit do not compare Stephen Colbert to Katie freakin Couric. What the actual hell.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Goddamnit do not compare Stephen Colbert to Katie freakin Couric. What the actual hell.
    Haha it's a legitimate comparison. Couric did 'serious' daytime TV, but was never respected in a primetime news role (and don't say it was because she is a woman - Diane Sawyer ran all over her). Colbert owned an extremely nichey segment of late night, but that doesn't mean his crossover is going to be seamless ... I think late night audiences are absurdly picky.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Colbert hire seems like it was a hire to attract a younger audience. I think he'll fail too. He's to gimmicky.

If they had balls they could had gone after JT. Although his show would probably be a mirror image of Falons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Haha it's a legitimate comparison. Couric did 'serious' daytime TV, but was never respected in a primetime news role (and don't say it was because she is a woman - Diane Sawyer ran all over her). Colbert owned an extremely nichey segment of late night, but that doesn't mean his crossover is going to be seamless ... I think late night audiences are absurdly picky.
    I get what you're saying but...Colbert is way more talented and legit than Couric. He's one of the wittiest, funniest, most intelligent people on TV.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

Remember the Medlen is better than JJ arguments that no one else agreed on? I don't want to get into another google debate but I don't think i was wrong there.

Colbert is a one trick pony with a gimmick. He's like Cohen. Only Cohen stays relevant by reinventing himself, colbert has one character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Colbert hire seems like it was a hire to attract a younger audience. I think he'll fail too. He's to gimmicky.

If they had balls they could had gone after JT. Although his show would probably be a mirror image of Falons.
    All you're doing is proving you know little of Colbert's repertoire, or severely underselling it. I'm not sure if it's intentional, or coming from blindness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Remember the Medlen is better than JJ arguments that no one else agreed on? I don't want to get into another google debate but I don't think i was wrong there.

Colbert is a one trick pony with a gimmick. He's like Cohen. Only Cohen stays relevant by reinventing himself, colbert has one character.
    I purposely only selected things involving trends, not involving other things. You're a very opinionated and sheltered person. You miss regularly on things becuause you like or don't like. Not looking instead at what people will like. Conan has also not even remotely reinvented himself. Hes very much true to what got him his giant audience.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I have nothing against Colbert, and I'm sure he'll do fine as Late Show host.

My issue is, he's probably the best tool the left has on TV to counter the insane propaganda on the right.

Nobody can pull off the character he's perfected. Stewart plays the liberal who shows how much non-sense goes on in the right. Colbert plays the "conservative" that makes you go wow you know they really do say and act this certain way.

It sucks seeing him go because this is the domain he perfected, and was definitely the best political satirist in the modern age.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post

My issue is, he's probably the best tool the left has on TV to counter the insane propaganda on the right.

Nobody can pull off the character he's perfected. Stewart plays the liberal who shows how much non-sense goes on in the right. Colbert plays the "conservative" that makes you go wow you know they really do say and act this certain way.

It sucks seeing him go because this is the domain he perfected, and was definitely the best political satirist in the modern age.
    This I agree with. It's upsetting he won't be able to play that character anymore and make the right look even more silly.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I think everyone has to go back and watch Colbert's work on The Daily Show--where he wasn't a one-trick pony (or at least was a different-trick pony)--to see that there's more there than his schtick on The Colbert Report.

I don't know if he'll succeed or not. The market will determine that. But the guy is talented. Cut his teeth in improv and to succeed in that medium, you've got to be able to both write and perform. He'll have a top-notch writing staff at his disposal. All that said, he could flop miserably.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think everyone has to go back and watch Colbert's work on The Daily Show--where he wasn't a one-trick pony (or at least was a different-trick pony)--to see that there's more there than his schtick on The Colbert Report.

I don't know if he'll succeed or not. The market will determine that. But the guy is talented. Cut his teeth in improv and to succeed in that medium, you've got to be able to both write and perform. He'll have a top-notch writing staff at his disposal. All that said, he could flop miserably.
    He could because the crowd who will be watching and judging him will be fickle and it's a tough market. But he's got the talent, and I'm not sure that's debatable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    This I agree with. It's upsetting he won't be able to play that character anymore and make the right look even more silly.
    Who replaces him on CC could be huge. I hope they get someone good. I'm not sure if any of the current correspondents can hold their own for half an hour.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post

He's just preaching to liberal sheep though for the most part. They'll find another guy that liberal youth will slobber over.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I don't think he'll succeed if he's overly partisan. So it will be interesting to see how he handles that. He should make fun of politics, but he'll alienate his viewer base if he sticks far left.
    thank you weso1!