Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Night Talk Show Thread: (9/9/'15 Late Show w/ Stephen Colbert Begins)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    He's just preaching to liberal sheep though for the most part. They'll find another guy that liberal youth will slobber over.
    Meh, typical short-sighted view. He points out how retarded a majority of them are. It's ok that you don't like it, because it is embarrassing.
    And no one on the right has that wit and intelligence (unfortunately).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Meh, typical short-sighted view. He points out how retarded a majority of them are. It's ok that you don't like it, because it is embarrassing.
    And no one on the right has that wit and intelligence (unfortunately).
    I'm sure you think your reply was cute, but it didn't really disagree with my point that it's mostly the liberal sheep that are watching it religiously, and in fact you seem to be a perfect example of the consistent Colbert Report watcher. And your own statement is truly the short sited one. While it's true that there are many more liberal comedians to choose from there are certainly just as many laughs to be had from liberal politicians. It's all sadly hilarious.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I'm sure you think your reply was cute, but it didn't really disagree with my point that it's mostly the liberal sheep that are watching it religiously, and in fact you seem to be a perfect example of the consistent Colbert Report watcher. And your own statement is truly the short sited one. While it's true that there are many more liberal comedians to choose from there are certainly just as many laughs to be had from liberal politicians. It's all sadly hilarious.
    Well you don't have a point, because why would conservatives watch someone who so frequently points out their absurdity and stupidity? And he's a great showman and hilarious. He's wildly popular, and more popular than Stewart by far...there's a reason for that.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Who replaces him on CC could be huge. I hope they get someone good. I'm not sure if any of the current correspondents can hold their own for half an hour.
    Very good point. Most of the talent on the network came up through the network as it developed. I didn't think John Oliver did particularly well (but wasn't flat out awful) subbing for John Stewart. Don't know if he's in line for anything or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Very good point. Most of the talent on the network came up through the network as it developed. I didn't think John Oliver did particularly well (but wasn't flat out awful) subbing for John Stewart. Don't know if he's in line for anything or not.
    Yeah, not a huge Oliver fan. Hope they find someone else. Like you said, no terrible, but just isn't that guy. Filling Colbert's shoes will be near impossible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Colbert will tone down and recreate himself for Late Nite, and be funnier than ever. And he's not as liberal as people make him out to be. He's a Catholic.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Well you don't have a point, because why would conservatives watch someone who so frequently points out their absurdity and stupidity? And he's a great showman and hilarious. He's wildly popular, and more popular than Stewart by far...there's a reason for that.
    I just don't think you understand my point based on your posts. My initial reply was in regards to Sav stating that Colbert was a great tool to help counter the conservative message and now that he's gone it's a big loss because of that. I just stated that it doesn't really matter because most of the people watching are liberals anyway and their mind is already made up. That's my point.

You seem like one of the more closed minded liberals on this board and you are obviously a big Colbert fan. I think someone like you makes up their target audience.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Colbert will tone down and recreate himself for Late Nite, and be funnier than ever. And he's not as liberal as people make him out to be. He's a Catholic.
    I agree with this. I think Colbert played his character and played to his audience well. He's not as liberal as his character was. I think he's more open minded than that and understands it's not hard to make fun of both sides.

I think late night is tough to predict though. I think it's anyone's guess whether he'll be good or not.
    thank you weso1!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Comedic gold:

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-14-2014), jpx7 (04-14-2014), nocalgirl10 (04-13-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I want to find this awesome interview he did with a joint chief on the Daily Show, can't find it online though.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I just don't think you understand my point based on your posts. My initial reply was in regards to Sav stating that Colbert was a great tool to help counter the conservative message and now that he's gone it's a big loss because of that. I just stated that it doesn't really matter because most of the people watching are liberals anyway and their mind is already made up. That's my point.

You seem like one of the more closed minded liberals on this board and you are obviously a big Colbert fan. I think someone like you makes up their target audience.
    And your point is inaccurate, because Colbert is widely the favorite and has far surpassed Stewart. So no, replacing him will not be easy or seamless because he is the absolute best at what he does. He's not blindly followed for his general views, but because he's really funny and really smart and great at playing his character. It will be a big loss because no one will be as funny.

I think "closed minded liberal" is a bit of an oxymoron, and that "closed minded" and "conservative" are synonymous, as they borderline pride themselves on being closed minded. It's part of their party. Unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Comedic gold:

You can't fight stupid by outsmarting them, so Colbert has to outstupid the stupid.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    This.

Colbert will be great. His interviews (Better Know a District) are my favorite. Granted, he won't be able to mock people like he does in those, but he'll find some balance and still make it funny.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    I think Colbert is an unfunny douche, but I'm in bed by 9:30 anyway, so good for him.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Colbert is a character. He's a gimmick. This was a bad move.
    Ha.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Ferguson may not show it, but he's certainly upset that he was passed over.

How can you say Colbert can excel on the Late Show, and then say Ferguson couldn't? That's not a shot at Colbert by any means, I just think Ferguson wanted the chance to see what he could do at 11:30.

Ironic that Dave screwed a guy waiting to bump up to his slot in a way he got screwed over.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Hardly comparable. Letterman and Conan got screwed in ways no one else can complain about.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Hardly comparable. Letterman and Conan got screwed in ways no one else can complain about.
    I think it was sort of implied a few years ago that Ferguson would at least get a chance to try 11:30. He's done the Late Late Show for 9 years now. Colbert is younger than him so he's not going to get a chance via age and next in line.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    I think it was sort of implied a few years ago that Ferguson would at least get a chance to try 11:30. He's done the Late Late Show for 9 years now. Colbert is younger than him so he's not going to get a chance via age and next in line.
    Yeah, not comparable to Conan and Letterman where Conan signed a contract that basically kept him at NBC to take over late night, and Letterman was 11 and a half and replaced by someone with no real experience. Ferguson should have been consdiered and I'm sure he was but they chose Colbert. If they want to beat Fallon, you don't fight with Ferguson.