Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Night Talk Show Thread: (9/9/'15 Late Show w/ Stephen Colbert Begins)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts

Late Night Talk Show Thread: (9/9/'15 Late Show w/ Stephen Colbert Begins)

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/davi...15-1201152380/

Love Craig Ferguson. Sincerely hope he doesn't get passed over or screwed.
    Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Would CBS have the balls to go for Conan?

Are Conan and Letterman friends? That could be telling.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Would CBS have the balls to go for Conan?

Are Conan and Letterman friends? That could be telling.
    Conan and Letterman are friendly. I dunno about Friends. Conan succeeded Letterman on Late Night. He brings the most fans immediately with him as well. No knock on Ferguson, but his following isn't close to Conan's.

There are a handful of issues with Conan. First will he agree to do it? Second being will there be stipulations CBS would be willing to meet if Conan presents them (such as moving the show to California) Third and final being considering Ferguson, if he feels shunned he may leave.

Personally I hope Conan stays on TBS, he's able to do **** that you can't get away with on Network TV. Like they had a time where someone (forget who) was talking abuot the time keeping guy, and they wound up wasting so much time talking about it that would not have happened on the Tonight show or Late Show.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Though one coincidence is that Conan's contact ends in 2015, sooooo

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Ferguson doesn't have the following of Conan because he didn't have the tonight show lead him in for 15 years then have tonight show for 6 months and a huge media controversy to rally people behind him.

If he took Letterman's spot he could easily develop a following. Rumor is Neil Patrick Harris is being floated.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Ferguson doesn't have the following of Conan because he didn't have the tonight show lead him in for 15 years then have tonight show for 6 months and a huge media controversy to rally people behind him.

If he took Letterman's spot he could easily develop a following. Rumor is Neil Patrick Harris is being floated.
    Conan had a huge following before taking over the tonight show. Ferguson is good, I like him. But if you have to choose between him and Conan you take Conan all other things being equal.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I've enjoyed Dave over the years, but it's time I think.

Conan taking the spot is a fascinating thought. I've never watched Ferg, so I have no idea how good the show is.

Off topic...Tell you what, I sure love the comedy of Jimmy Fallon though.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Here's a name: Adam Carolla.

I guess him being a conservative will keep him out of the running, but he has the largest podcast so he has a helluva built in following.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    A top billing show like that is gonna pull someone with late night show hosting experience. Jimmy Fallon had to do some time before moving into a prime spot.

Your most likely replacements are Conan, Ferguson, Stewart, Colbert (if they want it as it would be a totally different medium) are your most likely candidates. Some longer shots include bringing Leno out of retirement. sliding Chelsea Handler over (personally I think that she's likely to replace ferguson if he gets it though) and the possible move of Kimmel to the Late show which would then open up another spot. NPH is brought up because of his CBS ties and his stage experience but that would likely be a lousy experience.

BTW Walker Texas Ranger lever is the best thing in the history of television.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Can Letterman just retire now?
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Again, Conan had Late Night for 15+ years or whatever it was. His lead-in was Jay Leno whom was the ratings king in the 11:30 time slot against Letterman.

And don't forget, during that whole Tonight Show fiasco, Conan gained fans just to spite Leno. People I know never cared about Conan for some reason started to follow and watch him after the Tonight Show screwing.

Ferguson has been under the radar, no scandals or controversies. If given the right time slot, his audience can grow.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Again, Conan had Late Night for 15+ years or whatever it was. His lead-in was Jay Leno whom was the ratings king in the 11:30 time slot against Letterman.

And don't forget, during that whole Tonight Show fiasco, Conan gained fans just to spite Leno. People I know never cared about Conan for some reason started to follow and watch him after the Tonight Show screwing.

Ferguson has been under the radar, no scandals or controversies. If given the right time slot, his audience can grow.
    Dude, you just have no clue. Conan being on late night for so long is a positive. I don't know why that would hold again him. Ferguson has no draw, Conan had draw. As far as following Leno, Conan and Leno couldn't be more different. Mainly because Conan is actually funny.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-10-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Who said I'm using that against Conan? I specifically said he benefitted from being on Late Night for 15+, and the fact his lead in was Jay Leno who was king of the 11:30. Factor in the entire 2010 controversy and Conan gained tons of support.

All I said was Ferguson is under the radar because he's on a show CBS doesn't really care about, he doesn't have any major news stories like the 2010 Conan screwing. Ferguson actually beat Fallon a few times in the ratings, and I hear Seth Meyers isn't doing too well ratings wise. Letterman's ratings suck, they haven't been good since Jay went off at first in 2010. Letterman's bad ratings don't help Ferguson who is still unknown to many. I think your average late night joe would know Leno, Letterman, Conan and maybe Fallon. Then after that either Kimmel or Ferguson.

Eh you don't find Leno funny, but millions of other people did. I find Conan funny too, but I also find him too over the top at times. I could get a quick cheesy laugh watching Leno before I went to bed. Ferguson would keep me up just to keep laughing at the insanity he does.
    Forever Fredi

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I didn't know people watch that rubbish at night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Chelsea Handler is not funny. That is all.
    Ivermectin Man

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-10-2014), Runnin (04-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Who said I'm using that against Conan? I specifically said he benefitted from being on Late Night for 15+, and the fact his lead in was Jay Leno who was king of the 11:30. Factor in the entire 2010 controversy and Conan gained tons of support.

All I said was Ferguson is under the radar because he's on a show CBS doesn't really care about, he doesn't have any major news stories like the 2010 Conan screwing. Ferguson actually beat Fallon a few times in the ratings, and I hear Seth Meyers isn't doing too well ratings wise. Letterman's ratings suck, they haven't been good since Jay went off at first in 2010. Letterman's bad ratings don't help Ferguson who is still unknown to many. I think your average late night joe would know Leno, Letterman, Conan and maybe Fallon. Then after that either Kimmel or Ferguson.

Eh you don't find Leno funny, but millions of other people did. I find Conan funny too, but I also find him too over the top at times. I could get a quick cheesy laugh watching Leno before I went to bed. Ferguson would keep me up just to keep laughing at the insanity he does.
    So you're basically saying, Conan is the obvious choice if he wants the job. Got it.

Personally I don't think he wants it and I don't think there's a better second candidate to Ferguson unless Stewart wants it but I don't think he'll risk it. There's always a chance of a daytime host throwing their hat into the ring like Ellen, but would CBS take that big of a gamble? Late night is a fickle game, you need a certain quality to last there. Could be a surprise comic, but I really doubt it. Money would be on Ferguson or Conan unless both of them say no. Which I doubt Ferguson would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    So you're basically saying, Conan is the obvious choice if he wants the job. Got it.

Personally I don't think he wants it and I don't think there's a better second candidate to Ferguson unless Stewart wants it but I don't think he'll risk it. There's always a chance of a daytime host throwing their hat into the ring like Ellen, but would CBS take that big of a gamble? Late night is a fickle game, you need a certain quality to last there. Could be a surprise comic, but I really doubt it. Money would be on Ferguson or Conan unless both of them say no. Which I doubt Ferguson would.
    Ellen. Also UnFunny.
    Ivermectin Man

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-04-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    It won't happen but I would love Louie CK to take it. And fwiw kgrecw I love The Ace Man!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    If this rumor is true the search will be short

http://mashable.com/2014/04/04/steph...an-late-night/

Would be interesting and not what anyone expects if it happens.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Eh. I love Colbert, but his thing is political satire... that's what has put him on the map and I'm not sure if the regular Colbert would be as good.
    Forever Fredi