Thread: Tipping Article

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Tipping Article

Fascinating article about tipping. I know there are self-important white trash douches who get off on the power trip of under compensating someone for their time and energy (looking at you, gilesfan), but for those who are genuinely curious, and for those who have worked in the service industry, here's a really good article regarding gratuity...

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/04/everyt...w-tipping.html

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    saw this yesterday... but I'm not a fan of the tone of the write. Seems a little presumptuous to me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    I was always instructed by people that should know that you only top on the pretax amount of a meal (subtotal ). This article isn't written in the tone of an expert opinion but of someone with just some waiter experience.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I was always instructed by people that should know that you only top on the pretax amount of a meal (subtotal ). This article isn't written in the tone of an expert opinion but of someone with just some waiter experience.
    Yes... I generally tip 20% on post tax unless the service sucks. But I got annoyed at his suggestion that NO MATTER WHAT you tip at least 15%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There should never be a min or max on a tip. It really all depends on the experience. I have given more than 20% at times and I have given 0 on a rare occasion.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes... I generally tip 20% on post tax unless the service sucks. But I got annoyed at his suggestion that NO MATTER WHAT you tip at least 15%
    I don't agree with the no matter what. If you have a genuine ****ty server (read you see them slacking off, they roll their eyes at you etc.) they shouldn't get a tip because they don't deserve their job. That being said if a person shows up and doesn't genuinely piss me off I will give them 15%. If they wow me I go higher, if they are insanely awesome I go up to 30. That has only happened a few times and when it did was at one restaurant that probably is rated way too low on any form of rating.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Having worked 7 years delivering pizza I have to call bs. Tip rate depends on race/area so any general % is bs. Tips on 95% of deliveries is not accurate even in the best areas. Best case is 90%. Race does matter a lot. Black people make up around 75% of non tips. Rich indian/pakistani people rarely tip as well. White people are awesome tippers unless they are in a trailer park in which case its 50/50. I tried breaking it down by race one week and I made 1200% more from whites vs blacks. Elderly and asians tip but not more than 2 $ usually. Hispanics depend on their ability to speak english.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Tipping is so antiquated. The whole point of tipping is to reward someone for doing a good job. Instead it's turned into you have to tip someone because it's their salary. It's so stupid. Restaurants should just not accept tips anymore and instead increase prices. That way waiters get their money and people don't have to worry about tips.

Have comment cards to fill out for customers so that if their waiter/waitress is crap they can complain about it.

Tips just need to go away completely. Plus with folks not carrying cash these days sometimes I find myself in a position where I should tip, but realize I forgot to bring cash.

If I was running for president I would run on a platform of no more tipping. I would win hands down.
    thank you weso1!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-09-2014), jpx7 (04-14-2014), Runnin (04-16-2014)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Read this BS the other day, had a few chuckles.

"you must tip them, they don't make much and it is how they make their money"

Well, how about this, get some relevant job skills besides walking/carrying food, and twisting beer caps and then you wouldn't have to whine that someone only tipped you 12%. Waiting tables/bartenders take zero skills in 90% of the restaurants in this country. You want me to tip you 20% because you did your job?

I almost always give something just bc I'm a nice guy. But, the whole tipping thing is stupid. Only 1 time in my life I left zero tip and they got exactly what they deserved. If I go to a nice restaurant and the waiter is knowledgeable about their product and adds something of value to my visit, I have no issues going up to 15% to 20%. But, if i go up to Buffalo Wild Wings and you carry out my wings to me and twist a few bottle caps, I'm not going to leave you a $10 tip on a $50 dollar tab.

I have no issue with people being compensated for actual skills. If you don't have the skills at anything else and become a waiter; I don't feel bad for you.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Read this BS the other day, had a few chuckles.

"you must tip them, they don't make much and it is how they make their money"

Well, how about this, get some relevant job skills besides walking/carrying food, and twisting beer caps and then you wouldn't have to whine that someone only tipped you 12%. Waiting tables/bartenders take zero skills in 90% of the restaurants in this country. You want me to tip you 20% because you did your job?

I almost always give something just bc I'm a nice guy. But, the whole tipping thing is stupid. Only 1 time in my life I left zero tip and they got exactly what they deserved. If I go to a nice restaurant and the waiter is knowledgeable about their product and adds something of value to my visit, I have no issues going up to 15% to 20%. But, if i go up to Buffalo Wild Wings and you carry out my wings to me and twist a few bottle caps, I'm not going to leave you a $10 tip on a $50 dollar tab.

I have no issue with people being compensated for actual skills. If you don't have the skills at anything else and become a waiter; I don't feel bad for you.
    You're a prince.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-14-2014), jpx7 (04-14-2014), The Chosen One (04-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Every time I see this thread title I think it's going to be about cows.
    thank you weso1!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (04-14-2014)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Do you all tip Starbucks/ice cream shop/sub shop employees etc Everytime you buy something from them? They make minimum so I wasn't sure how people usually tip them.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Do you all tip Starbucks/ice cream shop/sub shop employees etc Everytime you buy something from them? They make minimum so I wasn't sure how people usually tip them.
    Sometimes, depends what happened. Most of what I order is really simple but if something isn't I tip.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I thought it was gonna be about pitchers tipping their pitches.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    If some of the places have tip on receipt like pizza place I tip something.

Ice cream or smoothie depends on if I'm the only person being served or if it's super busy.

I don't carry cash anymore. Most of what I tip is on cc receipts.

Obviously for places where they make minimum you wouldn't tip 20%. If I do buy a 4 dollar slice of pizza at a mom and pop I'll tip a dollar to make it 5 even
    Forever Fredi

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I personally like the idea of tipping. The best servers make the most money the worst servers should at least make close to the equivalent of minimum.

Generally the worst servers get canned. When i managed a restaurant full time the ones with a long resume and the most experience I have turned down. They hop from place to place. I'd rather train a server the right way than have a 15 year career server try to change the way things are run.
    Forever Fredi

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    No
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Tip the woman cutting my hair, but no one where I buy my food from a counter and service myself.
    Ivermectin Man