In the last few years we have gone from having a predominantly left-handed hitting lineup to one that leans heavily to the right side. At the same time, the other teams in our division have become very right handed in their starting pitching. So far this season we have faced only right handed starting pitching. We will have to get used to it and adjust. The Marlins feature five right handed starters. The Gnats have dropped Detwiler from the rotation and now have four right handed starters. The Mets have four right handed starters. The Phillies still have Lee and Hamels, but Hamels has always had a reverse split.

We will never be able to fully overcome this platoon disadvantage. But Fredi could reduce it through judicious use of our bench. Doumit gives us an option to occasionally spell one of our right-handed bats in left or catcher. Schafer can be used in place of BJ. Pena can give Johnson or Simmons a breather now and then. I haven't mentioned Uggla so far. This is because he has a reverse split. It is important to pay attention to these details. In the case of Uggla, I would mainly give him an off day against lefties and use Pastornicky on those occasions.

We are only seven games into the season, and Fredi has yet to alter his lineup except at catcher. I think he will have to if we are going to win our division. That is the only hope we have for overcoming what is a pretty pronounced platoon disadvantage.