Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Yes, there was a book written back then I had and lost. The language in my 10 year old mind couldn't fathom. The N word was used a lot in it, because they were literrally writing down what people said about him and the letters he got.

But he shouldn't blame America on how Obama is being treated. I don't like Obama because he is a LIAR and a CON ARTIST not because he has a D in front of his name. I vote on either side on anything that fits what I want to see.

Hank, it is okay for a black to not vote for another black or like the other black, it has nothing to do with whites keeping him down which they aren't. If it was Joe Biden in office, the Republicans will still do their thing.

Right now Hank, you've disappointed me. Do not patronize blacks like they are sheeps and see Boogeyman's around everyone corner or a white person will do this to you. It is petty. You'd overcame the racism, now you need to overcome the hate.
    Here are my thoughts on the whole thing.

In a way, Hank was in Obama's shoes at one point.

A black man on the verge of breaking history by eclipsing a white gentleman's record. As mentioned, he received hatemail, deaththreats daily for the simple fact he was a black man breaking the record of a white man's game. He did it in the heart of the deep south at the time too.

Obama is a liar, as was Bush, as was Clinton, as was Bush 41, as was Reagan, as was Carter, and Nixon. The whole "he's a liar" thing is not a big deal since everyone of his predecessors were liars too. That's the nature of the business. If you hate a politician that's a liar, then you aren't living in the real world.

Ignoring there is a racial element to some of Obama's haters is being ignorant of the world we live in as well. As I said in the other thread, most of my experiences with racism, blacks were direct and upfront, whites were more subtle and subliminal. Don't think I've ever seen any President disrespected this much with all the names.

The popular response is "Bush got treated the same way". Wrong. Bush is arguably worse than Obama, way more impeachable offenses, but he didn't have a congress that blocked every single attempt at anythign he wanted to do.

There has not been this much polarization in Congress since reconstruction.

I'll take Hank's word for it anyday of the week. He lived through it personally, day by day for many years. He has as much credibility on the effects of racism than anyone here.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-10-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Yes, there was a book written back then I had and lost. The language in my 10 year old mind couldn't fathom. The N word was used a lot in it, because they were literrally writing down what people said about him and the letters he got.

But he shouldn't blame America on how Obama is being treated. I don't like Obama because he is a LIAR and a CON ARTIST not because he has a D in front of his name. I vote on either side on anything that fits what I want to see.

Hank, it is okay for a black to not vote for another black or like the other black, it has nothing to do with whites keeping him down which they aren't. If it was Joe Biden in office, the Republicans will still do their thing.

Right now Hank, you've disappointed me. Do not patronize blacks like they are sheeps and see Boogeyman's around everyone corner or a white person will do this to you. It is petty. You'd overcame the racism, now you need to overcome the hate.
    Well, there is the first amendment and Hank can blame anyone for anything the way he sees it provided it isn't libelous. We are all captives of our experience and view the world as a result of that.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Well, there is the first amendment and Hank can blame anyone for anything the way he sees it provided it isn't libelous. We are all captives of our experience and view the world as a result of that.
    Yes, the time he went through was horrible, but comparing this administration to what he went through is incredulou. Obama has a lot of white friends and voting be because of whites and having 96% of the black vote.

Maybe Obama do something about not breaking his promises, uplifting the same people who got him in office instead of ignoring them or we wouldn't have this issue. I believe the Republicans are right that he needs to clean his own kind up before tackling "white" issues. As for comparing him to Bush, they are the same to me along with Carter, the worst three in the last 40 years easily.

Being black and raised near the Kentucky border, I had my run-ins back in the 70's, but I was told to forgive but remember, to strike when struck and do not trust anyone. I live by that creed today. Hank sounds petty and yes I know what he went through and saw him several times when I was little boy.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    What a dumb thing for Hank to say

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I am still figuring what names Obama were called in the media. N word is not one of them. Obamination Care is the only one I can think of.

I know Bush had a lot of terrible names thrown from me. Killer Klown, Dumbya, Chimpy, Doofess, Dumbass. That is a just a few I called him. I reserved the really bad stuff for Cheney that cannot be said on this board.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    what he went through, I will let Hank say whatever he wants on race relations in this country

he certainly has a better grasp on what this country was and is on that front than the white people in this thread born in the 1980s

he went through this in the 70s, the 1970s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    what he went through, I will let Hank say whatever he wants on race relations in this country

he certainly has a better grasp on what this country was and is on that front than the white people in this thread born in the 1980s

That's ignorant. Because he went through a terrible time doesn't give him immunity on saying dumb ass ****.

He says the race situation hasn't gotten any better? Really? THERES A ****ING BLACK PRESIDENT!

He says that opponents of Obama are comparable to KKK... REALLY? You wanna defend that Goldy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

I'm sure he has a better idea of what went on in the 70's, but he clearly has no clue what is going on right now if he actually believes what he said about the KKK. As others have said his opinions are clearly warped by what happened to him 40 years ago.

I honestly don't think the comment is a big deal though, as folks with sense are just brushing the comment aside as pure idiocy, which they should be.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    The Braves are still getting racist hate mail about Hank Aaron

It's Jackie Robinson Day, a day when baseball takes a moment to recognize the man who broke the sport's color barrier, and the Braves continue to sift through hundreds of letters, many of them littered with racial slurs, bashing Hank Aaron.

"Hank Aaron is a scumbag piece of (expletive) (racial slur)'' a man named Edward says in an e-mail to the Braves front office and obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

Edward invokes the epithet five times in four sentences, closing with, "My old man instilled in my mind from a young age, the only good (racial slur) is a dead (racial slur)."

Aaron was a reluctant civil rights figure to begin with, but told USA Today last week that he keeps much of his old hate mail as a reminder "that we are not that far removed from when I was chasing the record."

As an example he offered up the right-wing critics of the first black president, and said, "The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts."

It was that comment that initiated the deluge of correspondence to the Braves, even as Aaron was being honored on the anniversary of his breaking the all-time home run record.

The Braves have been besieged by hundreds of letters, e-mails and phone calls deriding Aaron for his comments made to USA TODAY Sports.

Marion calls Aaron a "racist scumbag.'' Ronald won't attend another Braves' game until Aaron is fired. Mark calls Aaron a "classless,racist.'' David says that he will burn Aaron's I Had A Hammer autobiography.
    According to MLB, 8.3 percent of players on opening-day rosters identified as African-American, down from a high of about 19 percent in 1986.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    David says that he will burn Aaron's I Had A Hammer autobiography.
    This made me laugh for some (sad) reason.
    Last edited by Hawk; 04-15-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    The funniest part of Aaron's comments is that 57 agrees with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    really Sturg -- there was something funny about Aarons comments

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    really Sturg -- there was something funny about Aarons comments
    Yes... of how ignorant they were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and you understand the stigma of being African-American growing up in Jim Crow south better than say .......... some one who did?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    No. But he compared house republicans to KKK. So... yes, ridiculously ignorant.

Aaron is clearly jaded from how he was treated. I don't even blame him. But that doesn't change what he says is ignorant. And you agreeing with it is laughable, though not surprising

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    15 year old girls that have seen too much are jaded. 80 year old black men that grew up in the south are stigmatized. He said what he see's. I prefer take into account his experiences on his thoughts and feelings without passing judgement as to smart or ignorant.
    You would be wise to do the same.
    Why is he ignorant? You make these statements expecting everyone to read your mind and intent

Never said I agreed with him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Can't say I disagree with this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i wonder who the guy that sent the letter last week to Hank Aaron and the Braves that said "the only good ****** is a dead ******" voted for in the last house election

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    i wonder who the guy that sent the letter last week to Hank Aaron and the Braves that said "the only good ****** is a dead ******" voted for in the last house election
    I'm going to guess not a mormon.

It's a shame that ignorant racists would send stuff like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Yes, let's generalize everyone.

All muslims are terrorists, after all.