Thread: Minors Report 4/12/14 SATURDAY: Regarding Parsons

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Minors Report 4/12/14 SATURDAY: Regarding Parsons

With 21 professional starts now under his belt, it is time that Wes Parsons begins a serious climb towards the top of the Braves' prospect board. Another scoreless outing Friday has him owning 1.74 ERA after two starts in 2014 for Lynchburg, this after becoming a bright spot on a lowly Rome team a year ago (7-7, 2.63). He worked over 100 innings and held hitters to a .224 average.

The mystery isn't so much how the Braves were able to latch onto the big Tennessean (6-5, 190) out of Jackson State CC, but how he went undrafted in the first place. His freshman season at the juco could be considered ordinary (7-3, 4.56 ERA, only 50 strikeouts in 70 innings).

Here are some relevant quotes from a MiLB story from August:

Parsons did not attract attention of scouts out of high school, and he went mostly unnoticed in college, where he admitted he spent more time worrying about baseball than his academics. It wasn't until he played in a wood-bat collegiate summer ball league in Canada that people started to take a second look.

"I played in the Northwoods [League] for the Thunder Bay Border Cats in Ontario and that was where they saw me. I was just trying to get my name out there," he said. "I was just trying to get some exposure, because I really wanted to play ball to see where it would take me.

"It was a tough decision at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I needed to go. Our first game in Waterloo, Iowa, a Tampa Bay scout came to talk to me, and that was when I realized I had something good going. He asked what it would take not to go back to school."

Parsons, who describes himself as "not the best student" and "just a kid," still wanted to talk with his parents about the meeting with the scout. Then, after appearing in the league's All-Star Game, he received similar inquiries from the Braves, Phillies, D-backs and Royals.

"I grew up a Braves fan, so that had a lot to do with my decision." said Parsons, who idolized Greg Maddox, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine as a youngster. "I would not have minded playing for or signing with somebody else, but when it came to either money or my childhood dream, that played the biggest role."

A total of 11 players have been drafted out of Jackson State Community College, most notably first-rounder and All Star Ross Grimsley in 1969 who appeared in 345 Major League games between Cincinnati, Montreal, Baltimore and Cleveland. Others, such as George Sherrill, spent time with the Generals before later going to the Majors. Parsons hopes to one day join this list.

"It's not a very big junior college, but it was just the best option for me at the time," Parsons said. "I'm not sure a lot of area scouts went there, or maybe they did and I had no idea. But being an undrafted free agent or being drafted, we're pretty much all the same."

----------------------------------
    The eyes of Braves execs (and fans) will be on the M-Braves tonight to see if JR Graham can build on his promising 2014 debut, giving up nothing in five innings. Graham is almost a novelty, having gone through rehab of an arm injury rather than surgery.

-----------------------------------
    FREE ERNESTO MEJIA

CLASS AAA

Durham 4, Gwinnett 3

LP: Atkins (0-2) 3 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 K.
    Obispo 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K. (Why isn't he starting?)
    Mejia 2-4, HR (6th), 2 RBIs.
    Constanza 2-3, RBI.
    Salcedo 1-4, 2B, R, SB.
    JoeyT 1-4, 3B, R.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 5, Jackson 2

SP: Graham 4.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K.(69 pitches)
    ***M-Braves announcer Kyle Tait tweeted that it was only pitch count that ended Graham's night***
    WP: Cornely (1-0) 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.
    Simmons (Save, 3) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 K.
    Loman 2-4, HR (3rd), 2 RBI.
    Landoni 4-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI.
    Hefflinger 1-4, 2B.
    Kleinknecht 2-5, 2 2B.
    Leonard 1-4, RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg 8, Frederick 1

SP: Miller 4 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.
    WP: Wilson (1-0) 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
    Chaffee 2 IP, 0 H, 4 K.
    Tewell 1-4, 2B, R, RBI.
    Peraza 3-5, SB (4th) (.324).
    Sanchez 2-4, 2B, R, BB.
    Skinner 1-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI.
    Elander 1-5, R, RBI.

CLASS A

Savannah 4, Rome 3

SP: Dettman 4 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.
    Reed Harper 2-4.
    Reynolds 1-5, 2B, R, RBI.
    Livesay 2-4, RBI.
    Morel 2-3, 2B, R.
    Last edited by rico43; 04-12-2014 at 10:41 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-12-2014), Braves1976 (04-12-2014), cajunrevenge (04-12-2014), nsacpi (04-12-2014), Teheran_49 (04-12-2014), thethe (04-12-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Sounds like as long as there's no requirement to diagram sentences between innings, Parsons is going to be alright. Seriously, sounds like a kid with some growth potential who has the chance to grow into something.

PS--Gosselin has had a friggin' week! Curious to see if he can keep it going. I see they are moving him between 2B and 3B. Has played some OF as well. Very good college hitter who could wind up being someone's 25th man if he shows he can hit. He hasn't hit that well his first few seasons, but sometimes the bulb goes on.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 04-12-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Just a little over a week into the minor league seasons, but a handful of players have made strong early impressions.

Gosselin-has a very good glove, if the improvement in the bat is real he will have a ML career

Simmons-Kimbrel's twin...I'd settle for a poor man's Kimbrel

Victor Reyes-very young, hitting over .300, no power yet but I think it will come

Parsons-building off a very good 2013 season, love the strikeout to walk ratios

Elander-power and patience at the plate, likely mid-season promotion

Daniel Rodriguez-older guy signed out of the Mexican League a couple years ago, building off a good spring training

Our pitching depth has taken a hit and it is important to have guys like Parsons and Simmons step up to replenish it.

Corner outfield also might be an area of need with Jason and Justin potential free agents after 2015. I think we will hold on to only one. It is important that Victor Reyes or some other corner outfield prospect develop in a way that makes us comfortable that we have a long-term solution at a corner outfield spot

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Nice win for Lynchburg.

I've always been curious about Jarret Miller's ceiling. Great K rate, but iffy walk rate.

Looks to at least be some offense in Lynchburg. Always wonder how much of it will project. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Edison Sanchez is the recipient of the "Patience, Patience, Patience" award. Don't know if he'll make it, but they've given him every opportunity to succeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    50, I just wanted to say that I really love reading your minor league posts. I'm just a box score person when it comes to the minor leagues but yourself, Rico and nsacpi really give us great information. Thanks for that.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't see a lot of these guys in person, but I try to look up some scouting reports, college histories, etc., on the net. Takes a little time, but I enjoy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So what if Peraza progresses faster than any of us thought? Could he contend for 2B next year?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So what if Peraza progresses faster than any of us thought? Could he contend for 2B next year?
    Doubtful, mainly because he's still 19 years old (turns 20 April 30).

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Doubtful, mainly because he's still 19 years old (turns 20 April 30).
    Stranger things have happened, but I agree with rico43 here. My guess is La Stella until Peraza if all goes as planned.

rico, just mailed the books today. You should get them later this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Stranger things have happened, but I agree with rico43 here. My guess is La Stella until Peraza if all goes as planned.

rico, just mailed the books today. You should get them later this week.
    My doorstep awaits!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Didnt Minor make a rehab start today or is that not true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Didnt Minor make a rehab start today or is that not true?
    Tomorrow. Or, rather today (Sunday).