Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT #12, 4/13/'14: Braves (Harang) vs Nats (Gio); No Gattis, CJ, or Uggla

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'd normally agree with you but with the uncertainty around Gus and Vavaro you have to put him in the pen.
    Agreed. Hale would be an upgrade anyway you look at it IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    He is fine as a starter, though anyone pitching to Doumit won't look as good (such as his last start, not to mention Doumit inability to throw). But I agree we have a need in the bullpen he could fill better once Minor and/or Floyd are ready. Schlosser just hasn't looked as good of late, Hale could replace him in the bullpen.
    My guess is once Minor and Floyd slot into the rotation, Hale will be sent to AAA and Harang to the pen. Harang to the pen will displace Schlosser, who will probably get a chance to start in AAA. When Venters returns, a decision will have to be made regarding Varvaro or Thomas. At this point it is pretty clear Thomas is more effective, but things can change. Plus injuries and other stuff happens. It does look like our pitching depth has been restored somewhat. Vasquez, Obispo, Beato and Jaime have had some good outings recently in AAA. Maya and Daniel Rodrigues have been solid too. And we're seeing positive things from Graham and Hursh in AA. Simmons has been lights out in AA too.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-13-2014 at 04:36 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2014), thethe (04-13-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    What's it gonna take or what do we have to do in order for JUp to play like this consistently?

I mean, you can't expect him to continue to be on the tear he is now, but how he can go from looking like one of the elite power guys in the game to a guy that consistently swings and misses at cookies down the middle of the plate is baffling.
    Justin has always been very streaky, he will look lost for a month if not longer. Then he'll have a month that just carries a team.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    He is fine as a starter, though anyone pitching to Doumit won't look as good (such as his last start, not to mention Doumit inability to throw). But I agree we have a need in the bullpen he could fill better once Minor and/or Floyd are ready. Schlosser just hasn't looked as good of late, Hale could replace him in the bullpen.
    It's cool, i dont think Hale is terrible as a starter but better suited in the pen imo especially with Gus/Varvaro not doing so good.

It will all work itself out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    My guess is once Minor and Floyd slot into the rotation, Hale will be sent to AAA and Harang to the pen. Harang to the pen will displace Schlosser, who will probably get a chance to start in AAA. When Venters returns, a decision will have to be made regarding Varvaro or Thomas. At this point it is pretty clear Thomas is more effective, but things can change. Plus injuries and other stuff happens. It does look like our pitching depth has been restored somewhat. Vasquez, Obispo and Jaime have had some good outings recently in AAA. Maya and Daniel Rodrigues have been solid too. And we're seeing positive things from Graham and Hursh in AA. Simmons has been lights out in AA too.
    Things can change real quick but I think you have to keep Thomas in the pen at this point. His stuff is really good. Makes you wonder if he can be a starting pitcher.
    Natural Immunity Croc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Things can change real quick but I think you have to keep Thomas in the pen at this point. His stuff is really good. Makes you wonder if he can be a starting pitcher.
    I'm all for looking at Thomas as a starting pitcher next spring.

Avilan is a conversion candidate too. 94 mph sinker. Has a changeup for righties and curve for lefties. Pitches to contact.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-13-2014 at 04:38 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    My guess is once Minor and Floyd slot into the rotation, Hale will be sent to AAA and Harang to the pen. Harang to the pen will displace Schlosser, who will probably get a chance to start in AAA. When Venters returns, a decision will have to be made regarding Varvaro or Thomas. At this point it is pretty clear Thomas is more effective, but things can change. Plus injuries and other stuff happens. It does look like our pitching depth has been restored somewhat. Vasquez, Obispo and Jaime have had some good outings recently in AAA. Maya and Daniel Rodrigues have been solid too. And we're seeing positive things from Graham and Hursh in AA. Simmons has been lights out in AA too.
    I could see Harang traded at some point, though maybe closer to the trade deadline. I think Hale may replace Schlosser when Minor returns but I agree that he could go down once Floyd returns. I think it really depends on what happens and how they all pitch between now and that time comes. I still don't see Varvaro lasting the season with us this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Same here, but I agree he is needed in the pen right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    What can we expect when Venters comes back? If he is anything like he was prior to the injury then the pen just won't be fair.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    He was great starting in AA the second half last year, very similar to Wood in that respect (good in either role). But I agree that he is needed in the pen right now. Maybe next spring he can start again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I could see Harang traded at some point, though maybe closer to the trade deadline. I think Hale may replace Schlosser when Minor returns but I agree that he could go down once Floyd returns. I think it really depends on what happens and how they all pitch between now and that time comes. I still don't see Varvaro lasting the season with us this year.
    Varvaro inherited Keith Lockhart's stash of pictures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    What can we expect when Venters comes back? If he is anything like he was prior to the injury then the pen just won't be fair.
    Hard to say since he is trying to come back from a second Tommy John surgery. Hopefully he makes it all the way back to his old dominate self.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Varvaro inherited Keith Lockhart's stash of pictures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Another option if and when all our starters return to health is to have Wood get his "rest" by going to the pen for 4-6 weeks. Would allow us to have the option of using him come October as a starter if he is one of our top 4 guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Another option if and when all our starters return to health is to have Wood get his "rest" by going to the pen for 4-6 weeks. Would allow us to have the option of using him come October as a starter if he is one of our top 4 guys.
    Would you do that or would you create a phantom injury and put him on the 15 day DL? I'd rather the DL option. I think his days in the pen are numbered.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    It's cool, i dont think Hale is terrible as a starter but better suited in the pen imo especially with Gus/Varvaro not doing so good.

It will all work itself out.
    Hale would be a nice addition to our pen and an upgrade to Gus/Varvaro, IMO.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Heyward (04-13-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Would you do that or would you create a phantom injury and put him on the 15 day DL? I'd rather the DL option. I think his days in the pen are numbered.
    I just think the team is more comfortable with him going 170-180 innings in the regular season than 190 plus. They will have to give some thought on how to control his innings.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Avilan is a conversion candidate too. 94 mph sinker. Has a changeup for righties and curve for lefties. Pitches to contact.
    Avilan is much better suited for the pen.

I can see Thomas but not until next year.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Guys, I didn't think these Braves had it in them. As long as the pitching holds we are fine. Not calling the race done. But, they won't yard us either. Natitude Adjustment!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I just think the team is more comfortable with him going 170-180 innings in the regular season than 190 plus. They will have to give some thought on how to control his innings.
    Yeah, I think its important to control his innings this year. Its really enticing to want to use him because its possible that he is our best pitcher. I think a DL stint to rest completely and a short BP stretch could do it. Get him about 20-25 starts in the regular season.
    Last edited by thethe; 04-13-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc