Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    911 Posts

Question about the "wage gap"

I'm curious to hear from the liberals and independents on this issue since reading through other recent threads I get the sense they agree that:

1 the wealthy/big business have all the power in this country
    2 big business is looking to screw the little guy and squeeze every penny it can get out of its employees/customers/etc
    3 outsourcing sucks, but greedy businessmen are willing to screw over the American worker to lower costs
    4 corporations/the rich exploit the system in place to position themselves as favorable as possible

Let's assume those things are 100% true. Now along comes Obama pusing "paycheck fairness," the left's issue du jour, telling the American people the following: "Today, the average full-time working woman earns just 77 cents for every dollar a man earns…in 2014, that’s an embarrassment. It is wrong."

A lot of the people who buy items 1-4 above seem to also be supporting the President on this "issue." My question is, how can these positions possibly be reconciled? How can you convince me that business is squeezing us all for every last dime, then try to convince me that those same businessmen are going out of their way to artificially raise their labor costs by paying a man $1 when they can get a woman for $0.77-$1? Why?!?!

**(I put issue in quotes because I think the gap can be explained almost entirely with rational, economic reasoning that has virtually nothing to do with discrimination...I think the President himself might believe that, but in a midterm year with the Senate in the balance, he probably hopes that pushing a faux issue like this will help get women out to the voting booth in November.)
    Last edited by acesfull86; 04-13-2014 at 06:55 PM.