Thread: MINORS REPORT 4/16: Lotsa daylight ball; spotlight on Martin

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

MINORS REPORT 4/16: Lotsa daylight ball; spotlight on Martin

CODY MARTIN FEATURE FROM MiLB.com

During Gwinnett's matchup vs. Norfolk on Monday, Cody Martin competed from the bench. It was an off day for the No. 10 Braves prospect, but he watched every at-bat like he was on the lineup card. He noticed what pitches the Tides took and which ones they chased.

"Always got to be doing something," Martin said. "I'm always competing."

The knowledge the right-hander gained propelled him to his first win of the season Tuesday. With his fastball working, the 24-year-old threw 56 of his 88 pitches for strikes, surrendering two hits and a walk while striking out nine over 5 2/3 innings as Triple-A Gwinnett pounded Norfolk, 15-0.
    In his last start, also against Norfolk, Martin began the game with three one-hit innings beore eventually giving up four runs on six hits over four frames. As he prepared to face the Tides again, the Gonzaga product knew he needed to figure out how to get out of any trouble he pitched into.

"I just wanted to make sure I was making the adjustments and throwing different sequences to throw them off balance," he said. "Fastball was my main pitch … but I mixed in a slider and curve, couple changes."

During his past two seasons in the Minors, Martin has made the adjustment to starter rather than getting in the game multiple times a series as a closer. After serving as the Bulldogs' end-of-the-night guy, the California native posted a 1.48 ERA in 22 relief appearances across the Appalachian and South Atlantic Leagues in his first professional season.
    While he's had relief appearances sprinkled throughout his time in the Carolina, Southern and International Leagues, including his first outing this season, he said the Braves primarily want to keep him a starter.

"I felt really good," Martin said after his longest outing of the season. "Biggest thing is to turn around and get workouts in; my body feels great. I've kind of figured out what my body needs to do between starts."

Opposing Martin for the second straight start was Baltimore's No. 2 prospect Kevin Gausman (0-1), but for the second straight start, the right-hander couldn't go deep, surrendering four runs on seven hits in three frames against the G-Braves on Tuesday.
    Jose Constanza, Philip Gosselin and Edward Salcedo tallied three hits apiece for Gwinnett. Salcedo, the Braves' No. 15 prospect, hit his second homer and doubled twice, while No. 7 Tommy La Stella plated three runs.

---------------------
    FREE ERNESTO MEJIA

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 7, Charlotte 2

WP: Rodriguez (2-1) 5 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K.
    Jaime 1 IP, 0 H, 1 BB, 2 K.
    Terdoslavich 2-3, HR (1st), 2 RBI.
    Lerud 1-4, HR (1st), RBI.
    Constanza 2-4, 3 R, RBI, 2 SB.
    Greene 1-4, 3B, R.
    Mejia 3-4, RBI. (.367).
    La Stella 1-5, R, RBI.
    ***Someone asked about Salcedo's defense; he committed his 4th AND 5TH errors tonight***

CLASS AA

Mississippi (6-7) 3, Huntsville 0

Combination 4-hitter (4 pitchers)
    WP: W. Perez (1-1) 5.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K.
    Simmons (Save, 4) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K.
    Hefflinger 1-2, 2B, RBI.
    Rohm 2-3, R.
    Nunez 2-4.

ADVANCED CLASS A

GAME ONE
    Wilmington 7, Lynchburg 2 (7)

LP: Parsons (1-1) 5.1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 7 K.
    Elander 1-3, 2B, R.
    Ahrens 1-3, RBI.

GAME TWO
    Lynchburg 3, Wilmington 2 (7)

WP: Ross (1-0) 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K.
    Wilson (Save, 1) 2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K.
    Sanchez 1-3, RBI.
    Castro 1-3, 2B, R, RBI.
    Odom 1-2.
    Peraza 1-3, RBI, SB (6th).

CLASS A

Rome 4, Lexington 3 (11)

Walkoff GWRBI single from Daniel Carroll.
    SP: Salazar 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K. (Salazar's best pro outing so far)
    Flores 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K.
    WP: Fiegl (1-0) 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K.
    Brown 1-3, 2B, R, RBI, BB, SB.
    Caratini 2-4.
    Camargo 1-4, RBI.

MOVES: Having activated Elmer Reyes for Mississippi, Barrett Kleinknecht sent to Lynchburg to make room. Tough break for a guy the organization likes; perhaps a future as a coach or instructor? Eric Garcia bumped back to Rome from Lynchburg.
    Cory Brownsten released; two years ago was named best defensive catcher in SAL.
    Daniel Carroll sent back to Rome from Lynchburg.
    Last edited by rico43; 04-16-2014 at 09:43 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-16-2014), jpx7 (04-16-2014), Teheran_49 (04-16-2014), thethe (04-16-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Obviously aided by last nights break out Salcedo is producing at AAA. With the concerning start to the season for CJ, Salcedo doing well has never been more important.

Any reports on his defense so far this year?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Curious to see what the season will hold for Salcedo. I'm guessing he'll look like a big leaguer some nights and a rookie ball kid the next. Consistency will be huge for him.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Curious to see what the season will hold for Salcedo. I'm guessing he'll look like a big leaguer some nights and a rookie ball kid the next. Consistency will be huge for him.
    At the very least, I like that the Braves were aggressive this year in his minor-league assignment. He's been in the system a while, now, and it's probably about time to see if he's likelier to sink or swim long-term.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-16-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Good sign that Salazar finally had a solid outing. Hopefully he builds off of that. You read that his stuff is top notch so its good to see some results.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    At the very least, I like that the Braves were aggressive this year in his minor-league assignment. He's been in the system a while, now, and it's probably about time to see if he's likelier to sink or swim long-term.
    I was a bit surprised they put him in Gwinnett, but it's not like he's totally bombed. They've been fairly aggressive with him and while his performance hasn't been exactly stellar, it appears he has at least competed.