Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NHL/playoffs Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So how about those skilled goals scored in the Ranger/Canadian game?
    Not sure if sarcasm but hockey is about so much more than pretty goals. In fact you won't find many between those two teams. The work and grit is so much more important. Hence why I can't stand a guy like Ovi. All about the scoring and basically doesn't work on the defensive end, which any truly elite player does. He'll score his goals but he was ~minus 32 for a reason, and it was a big reason his team didn't make the playoffs. Ovi is a bitch. In the end a combo of work and skill wins. Steve Yzerman is the perfect example of this. But grit is the reason a guy like Dustin Johnson will be a captain on a team. He doesn't score or put up pretty numbers, but he leads like a mofo and he's a lot of fun to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    overtime

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Game 7 in eastern and Western. OT playoff Hockey!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    It must feel so ****ty letting in a goal in golden goal overtime.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Though probably not as ****ty as being a defender who was used as the deflection

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Hard to blame Crawford there, not much he could do.

Incredible series though, shame it had to go to an end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    LOL, hockey is so great. The biggest goal of the season is a deflection off the the losing teams defenseman. SO MUCH SKILL!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Hard to blame Crawford there, not much he could do.

Incredible series though, shame it had to go to an end.
    As being someone who's played a lot fo goaltending positions in various levels of competition from pickup to competitive. Letting goals in sucks. One game I was goalie and let in 5 goals. 4 of the goals came on penalties because I had an incompetent defense who got 2 handballs and 2 slide tackles from behind in the box. The 5th I had possession of the ball and the kid came in after I took possession of the ball and kicked it out of my hand which isn't permitted in soccer. ANd given the fact that I was on the ground and the ball was not that far from my head could have been a dangerous play worthy of a yellow card. Even though none of those goals were my fault (saved one of the penalties which is about average for a goalie) every time that ball hit the back of the net it stinged. Trust me being at "fault" doesn't matter. There's still a sinking feeling when you let in any important goals. I had a goal let in in a big game (don't remember if it was championship or not) when I was a kid that I had lined up but my defenseman deflected and I couldn't react to it. Wound up being the goal that cost me. Onetime I didn't make a save that took us to overtime, that sucked. When I made a save to win a shootout there wasn't a much higher feeling. Being a goalie is totally amazing and totally stressful at the same time. Wouldn't trade the rush for anything. it was bigger than sacking a quarterback, hitting a winning shot in basketball, or striking out someone to end the game for me.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    LOL, hockey is so great. The biggest goal of the season is a deflection off the the losing teams defenseman. SO MUCH SKILL!
    That's why you shoot the puck.

Did I miss any blowouts in the NBA tonight? When is the next game, July?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    You don't understand the sport in the least. Did you see how the goal was created? Na, ESPN doesn't show the work that goes in to goals like that. But it's about a good, effective forecheck and puck possession in the offensive zone. I have no idea why you think goals are supposed to be pretty. A lot of work went in to that goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I mean, are you really going to suggest hockey doesn't take skill? Watch again how the goal was created instead of watching a clip from BSPN. And they aren't giant pussies like NBA players. No hockey player misses a single shift for whatever it was Ibaka had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I mean, are you really going to suggest hockey doesn't take skill? Watch again how the goal was created instead of watching a clip from BSPN. And they aren't giant pussies like NBA players. No hockey player misses a single shift for whatever it was Ibaka had.
    A basketball players calf is there lifeblood. How do you you think you generate force out of your jumps? What a stupid comparison.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    You don't understand the sport in the least. Did you see how the goal was created? Na, ESPN doesn't show the work that goes in to goals like that. But it's about a good, effective forecheck and puck possession in the offensive zone. I have no idea why you think goals are supposed to be pretty. A lot of work went in to that goal.
    I've watched plenty of hockey. The idea that shooting the puck and deflecting off of the opposing team as a great goal is stupid. Its a lucky goal and not something the team is intending to do. Hey, lets deflect it off this guys shoulder who isn't looking and the puck will turn 45% right over the blocker. YEAH!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Wait, the Kings didn't intend to score?

BTW< what the Kings have done is amazing. Had to run through Sharks (down 3-0), Ducks, Blackhawks, all on the road (3 of best teams in NHL)

So the Heat and Spurs had to beat who, exactly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I've watched plenty of hockey. The idea that shooting the puck and deflecting off of the opposing team as a great goal is stupid. Its a lucky goal and not something the team is intending to do. Hey, lets deflect it off this guys shoulder who isn't looking and the puck will turn 45% right over the blocker. YEAH!
    Again, you don't know what you're talking about. You're completely ignoring the work that went in to the goal. Getting a shot through a bunch of bodies is tough. Guys throw it on net and hope for bounces/rebounds all the time. This time is no different. Hockey is not about scoring pretty goals. It's about working hard to create opportunities to get the puck on net. They didn't intend to do that? Are you retarded? That makes me think you never watch or simply are too stupid to understand the game. Watch the Rangers play and see how tough it is to even get a puck on net. They block shots like crazy. So when a team has a chance to get the puck on net, they throw it there all the time. They absolutely were hoping for a good bounce or deflection, and they got it. You don't know what you're talking about. Just accept it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    A basketball players calf is there lifeblood. How do you you think you generate force out of your jumps? What a stupid comparison.
    Yeah, you're right, hockey players don't use their calves to skate or push or anything.
    The point is hockey players play through everything, and basketball players will sit out in the conference finals and maybe "miss the rest of the post season" for something they were able to return from 2 games later. According to you, Ibaka playing from game 1 would have ended the series in 5 games. So, according to you, he cost them the series by not playing. 0 hockey players do that.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Wait, the Kings didn't intend to score?

BTW< what the Kings have done is amazing. Had to run through Sharks (down 3-0), Ducks, Blackhawks, all on the road (3 of best teams in NHL)

So the Heat and Spurs had to beat who, exactly?
    Heat had a cakewalk road, East blows.

Spurs had a 7-game series with Dallas, easy series with Hou, and really only 1 competitive game vs OKC.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Heat had a cakewalk road, East blows.

Spurs had a 7-game series with Dallas, easy series with Hou, and really only 1 competitive game vs OKC.
    Dallas weren't good.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You cannot get any better sports than the last minute of the game last night. No moment in any sport can top that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You cannot get any better sports than the last minute of the game last night. No moment in any sport can top that.

I really could go on. But I won't trash you for that thetheesque statement.