Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nationals already crumbling?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Nationals already crumbling?

If one word described the Nationals last year, it was "underachievers." That's not an original thought for me, but boy, does it nail it.

I see the same thing in this year's version. The latest is, one day after Harper comes out of the game when he stumbled chasing a fly ball, he fails to run out a ground ball. Matt Williams did the honors and did not mince words afterward.

"It was the inability to run 90 feet -- lack of hustle," said Williams about why Harper was lifted. "He had to come out of the game. We made an agreement, his teammates made an agreement: When we play the game ... we hustle at all times. We play the game with intensity, with willingness to win.

"Regardless of the situation, regardless of what's happening to you personally, we have to play the game a certain way to give us the best chance to win. ... For the sake of the organization, he needs to play with aggression in the way he plays."

It was pointed out tonight on MLB Network that the younger Harper was criticized by veterans for "false hustle" when he broke in. I get a gut feeling that Harper could wind up being part of a blockbuster trade in the future -- how long is probably up to him.

Williams said Harper would be back in the starting lineup Sunday for the series finale. Harper went 0 for 3 before being pulled and is batting .295.

"People come pay money to watch him play the way he can play," Williams said. "And it's pretty exciting. It's pretty dynamic. But there's another side to it. And the other side is that regardless of how the ball comes off the bat or regardless of how he's feeling about an at-bat, he must maintain that intensity and that aggressiveness. And that means running all the way to first base and touching the base."

Harper was scratched from a game Wednesday with a sore quadriceps, but Williams didn't view that as a reason to stop short of running 90 feet to first base.

"Regardless of situation, regardless of what's happening to you personally, we have to play the game a certain way to give ourselves the best chance to win," the manager said. "And it's too bad that it came down to that situation in the ninth inning when he could've been at the plate. For the sake of his teammates and the sake of the organization, he needs to play with aggression and the way he plays."

One last note: best prank of the year (besides the one played on Francoeur in El Paso) is whoever hacked the Nationals' Wiki page to change the team's owner to the Atlanta Braves!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

mossy (04-19-2014), Teheran_49 (04-20-2014), UNCBlue012 (04-20-2014)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    The Nats need to let go of that ridiculous chip on their shoulders and just play ball. They seem to have this defiant sense of entitlement, but can't quite seem to back it up. If they just relax, there is plenty of talent to be a contender on that team.

They have the WORST announcers though.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (04-19-2014), NYCBrave (04-20-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I'll trade them BJ for Harper.

He'd learn to play the game the right way in Atlanta, and gilesfan would then shift his allegiance to Atlanta exclusive.
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-20-2014), thethe (04-19-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    I'll trade them BJ for Harper.

He'd learn to play the game the right way in Atlanta, and gilesfan would then shift his allegiance to Atlanta exclusive.
    I'd only do that if they took Uggla as well. I mean we can't give up all the amazing qualities the BOssman brings to us without having someone free up space for TLS.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I'd only do that if they took Uggla as well. I mean we can't give up all the amazing qualities the BOssman brings to us without having someone free up space for TLS.
    Come on dude, you can't throw Uggla without giving Washington the real veteran leadership of Gerald Laird. Laird would bring the much needed player leadership stability to Washington to get Desmond and Co. in a straight line.

Harper for Uggla, BJ, Laird is a steal for Washington.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    WOAH I don't want to trade all the makeup that we hav ein one fell swoop
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Come on dude, you can't throw Uggla without giving Washington the real veteran leadership of Gerald Laird. Laird would bring the much needed player leadership stability to Washington to get Desmond and Co. in a straight line.

Harper for Uggla, BJ, Laird is a steal for Washington.
    A bridge too far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    The Nats need to let go of that ridiculous chip on their shoulders and just play ball.
    Every bit of this. And I don't get why folks think they have the best team on paper. I mean on paper our roster is pretty solid. I feel like because they have Strasburg and Harper everyone thinks they are amazing. They have a very good roster, but on paper I'm not convinced it's better than the Bravos.
    thank you weso1!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-20-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Every bit of this. And I don't get why folks think they have the best team on paper. I mean on paper our roster is pretty solid. I feel like because they have Strasburg and Harper everyone thinks they are amazing. They have a very good roster, but on paper I'm not convinced it's better than the Bravos.
    It's a pretty good roster.

Maybe not as good as the media hypes it out to be but they have a good team.

They do seem to play tight though, at least against the Braves anyway.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    WOAH I don't want to trade all the makeup that we hav ein one fell swoop
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    A bridge too far.
    I knew you guys loved Fredi too much to get rid of him.
    Forever Fredi

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I knew you guys loved Fredi too much to get rid of him.
    It would be just like the cylons to want to get closer to the nation's capital.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (04-19-2014)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Harper is, and always was, a punk. Definitely some talent there, but totally hype-driven.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-19-2014)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Lets save this for september

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    He's just a guy that doesn't have leader type qualities. He's supposed to be the face of the franchise but he sure doesn't act like it, he's always been spoiled as a player growing up. He was voted most overrated by his peers this past off-season as well. You can't over look the fact of great team chemistry and we have that here in Atlanta. There isn't any "Me" type guys on this squad. A lot of that is tribute to the due diligence our front office and scouting department doing a great job of not just getting talented players but players who have great mental make-up as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    On paper ----------- in real life the Nats are not a good baseball team. They make too many baserunning,defensive and in general decision making mistakes...
    Given the chance - they will beat themselves

No, I wouldn't sent them BJ for Harper -- for all his "talent" I wouldn't want Harper anywhere near my team. Nor Strasburg.
    Now, Rendon !!! That would be a whole other question
    What Brave or former Brave does he remind anyone of ??

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    What the Nationals need is a Bobby Cox doppleganger as manager. Glad that Kasten still isn't there, because I could see him crawling on his hands and knees to Bobby's farm to beg him to come out of retirement long enough to kick some butt. Everyone talks about what a good, old school baseball guy Matt Williams is, but it's starting to look clear that a first-time manager is not what this team needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Its going to be great hearing all August and September the following headline:

"The Nationals trim the NL East lead to 10 games. Are they back?"
    Natural Immunity Croc

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (04-20-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Disagree Rico. I think they better / smarter players. Not better hitters or pitchers per se but better baseball players.

Unless Billy Martin comes back to blow up the clubhouse - Whoever manages this mess will run into the same issues.

//////////////////////

The latest Harper issue makes me wonder about JUp in Arizona and their choice of Prado over JUp
    Last edited by 57Brave; 04-20-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Speaking of the Nats, I didn't see this mentioned.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...212451461.html

I guess the writer didn't see Bobby bench Andruw Jones mid-inning or Billy Martin bench Reggie Jackson. With all the tools at writers' disposal these days, would it hurt to do an internet search when writing an article?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Think it's a rookie manager of a veteran ball club trying to send a message who is in charge. Either that or trying to "ground" a youngster a la Bobby/Andruw.

Seems an odd time to do so.....ground ball right back to pitcher with a player playing thru an injured quad. If the benching is only based on not running out a grounder; him and every other manager would bench a heck of a lot of players.

My theory is that he's just enforcing that his the one in charge. Williams is a very fiery guy and has not reacted well in the past to things not being down as he likes.

With a veteran and talented ball club, I'm not sure it's the right decision by Williams despite it enforcing the game "the way it's supposed to be played".
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe