Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What issues have you changed your stance on since first joining scout?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    From what I remember (earlier debates), we've all changed more than we realize.
    You even believe in God and Jesus!
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Went from caring about makeup and scouting to heavily favoring statistics and numbers.

Used to be about 60-40 makeup-stats. Now it's like 30-70 makeup-stats.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't know if I've changed my mind on this one, because I wasn't particularly aware of how extreme it had gotten, but when I was driving yesterday, I heard a report on the news that some colleges are considering putting "trigger warnings" in their course syllabi to inform students that something that will be presented in class may offend them or make them uncomfortable. Sounds like the warnings that precede some television shows.

I am really getting tired of all the language/experience policing that's going on. I delineate that from the banal gripe that "It's ALL PC" because I think there are two different issues here. The one deals with language; the other with tolerance of plurality. I agree that the loudest voices now promote a wider view of the latter which doesn't respect the rights of others to believe what they believe without criticism, but that seesaw has been going up and down since the beginning of time and I expect it will flip in some sense. I tire more of the torturing of the language.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-20-2014)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    911 Posts
    Amen to that

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I knew most of you were slack jawed ***gots!

There's no such thing as a social liberal and a fiscal conservative.

Ron Paul is a paleo con not a libertarian. Examine his positions on the big issues and compare them to Pat Buchanan's. Paleo Con.

The mope running in the primary, GA 1, to replace Jack Kingston, who's running for Seante, only got 18k votes last night. I knew I should have run for that seat. Could have easily gotten more votes than that.

Weso and Bedell you are both big disappointments!

VOL would tolerate term limits but I still don't like the idea of them. We shouldn't have to do other citizens' work. My only flip flop. Fairly certain I'm right about everything else.

Common Core is what the opponents claim. Up until recently I've had 4 kids in government schools. The wife really hates Common Core. On the whole if you want better schools you need better parents!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VOLracious For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (05-21-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLracious View Post

Ron Paul is a paleo con not a libertarian. Examine his positions on the big issues and compare them to Pat Buchanan's. Paleo Con.

The mope running in the primary, GA 1, to replace Jack Kingston, who's running for Seante, only got 18k votes last night. I knew I should have run for that seat. Could have easily gotten more votes than that.

VOL would tolerate term limits but I still don't like the idea of them. We shouldn't have to do other citizens' work. My only flip flop. Fairly certain I'm right about everything else.

Common Core is what the opponents claim. Up until recently I've had 4 kids in government schools. The wife really hates Common Core. On the whole if you want better schools you need better parents!
    I hope you didn't vote for Kingston. He's awful. True definition of career politician...
    Forever Fredi

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    none of mine will even touch a public school until they are in college. You make the dough man, send them to private schools.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Economy. My wife and I both lost our jobs/careers between 09' - '11. We are slowly crawling our way back up while she's in nursing school, but we lost our house along the way. I'm blessed to have a job I love in the ER, start a new one in a couple weeks too. Stressful work, but the drama/adrenaline are worth it all.

Health. The last two years have been brutal for me. Working two jobs 7 days a week took it's toll, and now I suffer from lots of undiagnosed anxiety. I wouldn't wish it on any of you. To this point I haven't found a med that gives the correct balance, and every day is survival where dealing with fatigue and stress are concerned.

My son has been a mystery since being born the year the Red Sox broke the curse. After all these years, it looks like he is high functioning aspergers/autistic. He's brilliant, owns at all video games (seriously, none of us have a chance), but doesn't detect social/emotional norms. Getting him tested/diagnosed/treated/monitored/placed in school has been a journey that I hope none of you must endure. I love him to death the way he is, and we finally have hope in helping him succeed and cope with how life will be.

Politics. Have lost hope in the two parties. Grew up a Dem, hated the GOP. GOP still makes me angry, but living around friends who are mostly of that persuasion have helped broaden my views. My conservative friends are the most supportive, greatful, generous, forgiving, and full of wisdom. It's taught me to try and be more careful before painting with a broad brush.
    Last edited by mossy; 05-21-2014 at 09:18 PM.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-22-2014), AerchAngel (05-23-2014), goldfly (05-21-2014), Julio3000 (05-21-2014), Mrs. Meta (05-21-2014), The Chosen One (05-21-2014), zitothebrave (05-21-2014)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Damn. Sorry Mossy. Hope all the best for you and yours

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

mossy (05-21-2014), Mrs. Meta (05-21-2014)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

awesome, Vol is back

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Politics. Have lost hope in the two parties. Grew up a Dem, hated the GOP. GOP still makes me angry, but living around friends who are mostly of that persuasion have helped broaden my views. My conservative friends are the most supportive, greatful, generous, forgiving, and full of wisdom. It's taught me to try and be more careful before painting with a broad brush.
    I've noticed that too. They are not as judgmental like you see on here. They keep it to themselves. The other side, total complete opposite. I hope they continue to educate you on those qualities.

More importantly, you weathered a storm that would break most people. I have had friends lose everything because they lost their job, then home, car, everything due to their job being outsourced. Since there were mass lay-offs, the job market tighten up and some of them had to do what you do. Most of them had to go through bankruptcy to start over. As for your son, I am really proud of you to show how much you care and love him. One of the ladies at work son is like that. Not only he is really good at video games, but he can play many different instruments as well. All he has to do is hear the tune and can play it back for you. I don't think we should be down about that, these kids are special in a great way.