Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions Are In Order II

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Name is Bill, Im 74 but not senile quite yet. This thread and one earlier about your playing days have become nostalgic for some reason and given me lots of time to reflect (first stage of senility?). Grew up in the Detroit suburbs, never played anything but baseball, didnt even play with myself, told it would cause warts on my throwing hand. Played all the way thru 1 year of NAIA ball in Kentucky, then 3 more years of Army ball. Thought I was good enough for the All-Army team til I found out they were all ex college players (this was during the draft years). In 1956 my American Legion team was invited to Briggs Stadium to spend a day with the Tigers. Harvey Kuenn offered me a chew, Jim Bunning didnt want to be bothered with us, Kaline seemed too shy to talk even to kids, Reno Bertoia spent lots of time with us but my all time favorite was Charlie PawPaw Maxwell. Being an OFer, he spent over an hour chatting and playing catch with me and another kid.
    Went to Panama and played on the Army team there for 3 winters, even got to play a few games in the Panamanian Winter League but didnt get paid. Another story. Reenlisted and next month the Army downsized their baseball efforts. Oh well. Stayed in the Army for 22 years. Between VietNam tours spent several years in LA as an Army advisor to reserves and NG. Don Sutton was in one of the units I spent time with but seldom saw him except in winter. He did leave tickets for us several times.
    Ive always been more of a baseball fan than a team fan. Followed the Tigers for over 20 years til they went to the WS in 68 (I was in RVN out of even radio range). Live now in western NC Braves county and Reds territory as well. Get to maybe 10 or so games every year, one son lives in Loganville.

I enjoy this board immensely. Knew there was lots of young people here but didnt realize just how young most are. Dont post much in the season but do read it daily (several times)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), Hawk (04-23-2014), Julio3000 (04-23-2014), mossy (04-26-2014), NinersSBChamps (04-23-2014), rico43 (04-23-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014), TURBO (04-23-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    So far the over 55 Club here is:

50Poundhead
    Depley
    PawPaw
    rico
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    . Grew up in the Detroit suburbs, never played anything but baseball, didnt even play with myself, told it would cause warts on my throwing hand.)
    Interesting. I guess that kind of goes against the Moises Alou, Jorge Posada book of taking care of your hands.
    Forever Fredi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-23-2014), Julio3000 (04-23-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    So far the over 55 Club here is:

50Poundhead
    Depley
    PawPaw
    rico
    We should call them the Senior Circuit of posting.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    We should call them the Senior Circuit of posting.
    Or the Sequoia Seniors (old trees but big wood).
    Forever Fredi

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), JohnAdcox (12-12-2015), Julio3000 (04-23-2014), NinersSBChamps (04-23-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Still can't get over ESP being a female. And the Craigslist ad she just posted.
    Being 5'10" and non-420 eliminates me from consideration. Plus, there's a lot of real estate between us anyway.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    19 introductions, 72 members have read the thread.

Good job you shy introverts holding out on the rest of us. Even Heyward gave a half-arsed response (which I didn't count).
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Adding in a couple of other great memories:

* Deion Sanders taking Avery on a shopping trip to show him how to dress like a man.

* Acquiring the Crime Dog (for those of you who constantly gripe about Texeira, review what the Braves gave up here) and the fire in the press box

* Leads to the next one . The wild cards have ruined pennants races. The '93 NL West was one for the ages. Think the Giants won 103 games (maybe more?) and did not make the post-season. Impossible now, but it was a thriller.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but Leo and others have claimed that they'd have eventually gotten by Montreal, if not for the strike. Confidence is nice and all, but it wasn't facing realty. The Expos were just too good that year. Fans up there had every reason to be disgusted. That team was cruising toward the WS. Then, they got hosed on the ball park issue. Olympic Stadium was no place for baseball and was far from centre-ville. The Braves obviously benefitted tremendously from the fire sale, by getting Marquis Grissom. Schuerholz had also attempted to acquire Wetteland, as they weren't yet convinced about Wohlers as closer. If nothing else, it would've prevented the Yankees from getting Wetteland.

Anyway, everything that happened with Montreal soured me on the Nationals. It's one of my favorite cities. Washington is a place that MLB abandoned twice. Then, the "conspiracy theorist" in me believes that their demise was engineered. "Home" games in San Juan, Puerto Rico? Gimme a break. Was probably nice for Javy Vazquez though. Frank Robinson as GM was good PR, but chew on this:

The Expos acquired Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew for Lee Stevens, Brandon Phillips (was centerpiece, at the time), Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee. (Again, don't feel so bad about the Tex trade.)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

mossy (04-26-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014), TURBO (04-23-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Interesting. I guess that kind of goes against the Moises Alou, Jorge Posada book of taking care of your hands.
    Yeah, but I learned the truth around 12 or 13 thanx to Hugh Hefner and Marilyn Monroe.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    I live in Macon, Georgia. I am originally from Waycross, Georgia, and am a graduate of the University of Georgia. I was a television sports anchor at WBSG in Brunswick, Georgia, and WGXA in Macon, Georgia. I also had a sports production company and produced and hosted weekly television shows with the Atlanta Braves, the Atlanta Hawks, and the Atlantic Sun Conference.

I can predict with near-perfect accuracy the extent to which a given individual cares about baseball. As a result, I have my doubts if certain Braves players even love baseball.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), Hawk (04-23-2014), Julio3000 (04-23-2014), mossy (04-26-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I live in Macon, Georgia. I am originally from Waycross, Georgia, and am a graduate of the University of Georgia. I was a television sports anchor at WBSG in Brunswick, Georgia, and WGXA in Macon, Georgia. I also had a sports production company and produced and hosted weekly television shows with the Atlanta Braves, the Atlanta Hawks, and the Atlantic Sun Conference.

I can predict with near-perfect accuracy the extent to which a given individual cares about baseball. As a result, I have my doubts if certain Braves players even love baseball.
    Just curious about your allegiance to the Gators it seems and the Bulls?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Forever Fredi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Explain yourself little boy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Its Shanks, He has no allegiance.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I guess I get it now.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Explain yourself little boy.
    jpx had an odd dream where he came over to our house and I was a Bulls fan and Turbo was a Gators fan...
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    jpx had an odd dream where he came over to our house and I was a Bulls fan and Turbo was a Gators fan...
    By "our" do you mean me and you or yourself and turbo?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    By "our" do you mean me and you or yourself and turbo?
    Roommates. Don't derail the thread anymore! You're scaring people from sharing their personal secrets with us!
    Forever Fredi

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Hi, on the Scout board I was referred as Kim Jung-un. Sorry but my dad made me do bad things to people who did not follow instructions. Soon I was exiled when I tried hiding from my dad and ended up here. At first I'd shown a lot of anger toward anyone here because I was a coward with no power to harm you.

Now happy times are here again and I got my name back and now not known as a North Korean castoff.

Introducing the real AerchAngel:

Derrick, 46, m, married (wink if you get this)

Lived in Europe for a quarter of my life, been to amazing places, placed Euro basketball for several years by accident. I was good but did not think good enough to walk on a team but my friend asked me to play so I did. Pay wasn't good back then (late 80's), but it didn't matter as it was for fun for me and I got to go places I never would have went even though I could for free. My nickname/callsign was ArchAngel in Germany and I kept it ever since. Married a German, had a child, we moved back to the states, she got homesick and we split due to distance. Got remarried, the wife and my ex are like sisters...I know doesn't seem natural, but hey I am a good person and carry no ill will toward what she did, that's life.

I live in Eau Claire, Wisconsin now and currently working as programmer/data analyst. It pays the bills and my wife owns her own business.

Been a Braves fan since 1974, grew glued to the TV when they were on all the time. If I didn't see the game even though they sucked, it would make me sad. I grew up a Jeff Burroughs/Bob Horner fan and then Dale Murphy. I vaguely remember the original bombers of the 1974 team. My dad always took me to see them when we were in Chicago. He said I have shook hands with a lot of players since he had friends on the Cubs team (my dad is a diehard Cubs fan and even tried out for them). Born in Chicago with tons of family, I usually stay there in the summer. I always got to see the Braves play or when I lived on the border, we go see the Cardinals and the Braves. My dad always made sure to clear a weekend or a day of the week to see my team play. The only regret when I was old enough and aware, that it was too hard to get to the Braves and meet them.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2014), Hawk (04-23-2014), Julio3000 (04-23-2014), mossy (04-26-2014), The Chosen One (04-23-2014), TURBO (04-23-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Wink