Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Affirmative Action

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I know a few years ago, their points-based system gave more points for being a minority than it did for a perfect SAT score. I disagree with that method a lot.
    And I would agree with you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    And I would agree with you.
    Yeah, wasn't trying to combat what you said, just pointing out that fact.
    Just to be clear.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Yeah, wasn't trying to combat what you said, just pointing out that fact.
    Just to be clear.
    No problem. I didn't take your comment in that vein.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Correct me if i am wrong but AA was created to help level the playing field. There is no evidence that goal has been reached.

This seems like the 90's welfare debate where there is only a black and a white solution and people lining up on either side. we can argue and discuss this until we are blue in the face but is anyone of consequence advocating fixing/tweeking the system - Or is it entrenched sides of status quo vs scrap the whole system?

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Define "level playing field."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    The solution to a problem so complex is rarely found the first try. It's a much better option than the narrative of "just work harder duh!!!!!!"
    You've got to start somewhere. Leaving things the way they were would only make the problem worse. Which some white people don't care about.
    Well, the problem is that like a lot of big government ideas we seem to be stuck with what we've got. And I don't think it's a good policy. I'd rather assist poor folk when they are younger through better education, school programs, etc. This is a win win for everyone. But of course we're stuck with this horrible idea of an education system we have for our poor communities. We need to do a better job of weeding talent out of every nook and cranny of this country.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Honestly though, I don't think this issue will even exit in 100 years. So who even cares really.
    thank you weso1!

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Weso , it will effect your kids. It effects all of us. There's nothing wrong with the best person for the job or the 100 best for 100 spots.

AA is reverse discrimination and that breeds more discrimination.
    You want equal rights that's cool. So why the need for a Mrs Black NY or Mrs Black America when they can just run for Mrs Ny or Mrs America. You realize that there is a black pages? What's the need for that? They only want to frequent black stores and use black services? AA is a joke

Maybe AA is the best solution. I think a lot of people are sick of blaming poor schools as the excuse and not just blaming the kids/parents. Putting nice top of the line computers in those schools won't fix those schools. Putting better teachers in those schools won't fix the schools. (A large percentage of good teachers wouldn't even want to teach there)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    2010 census bureau

309 million Americans

231 million white americans or 75% of the country.
    Forever Fredi

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Weso , it will effect your kids. It effects all of us. There's nothing wrong with the best person for the job or the 100 best for 100 spots.

AA is reverse discrimination and that breeds more discrimination.
    You want equal rights that's cool. So why the need for a Mrs Black NY or Mrs Black America when they can just run for Mrs Ny or Mrs America. You realize that there is a black pages? What's the need for that? They only want to frequent black stores and use black services? AA is a joke

Maybe AA is the best solution. I think a lot of people are sick of blaming poor schools as the excuse and not just blaming the kids/parents. Putting nice top of the line computers in those schools won't fix those schools. Putting better teachers in those schools won't fix the schools. (A large percentage of good teachers wouldn't even want to teach there)
    Because in the United States money is the main objective and blacks, outside of sports, do not bring money in if they are part of the picture. Blacks do not win many things because of how the old brigade still views them, like Bundy, like Duke and others and they have a lot of people that agree with them. Until you get those people who think like that out of the equation, there will be no equality. As a black I have to work twice as hard to get where I am. Whites do not like black guys who marry whites, but how many successful white girls date black guys? Not a lot, because they see a loser. My wife would never dated me if I had a criminal record, finance issues and what not. She did her due diligence because she thinks I am awesome and still does.

When I lived in Iowa I was at Rockwell Collins. Yes they have a quite a few blacks but none in IT. When I had to go before the managers for raises and bonus, the question was raised, why do you work harder than anyone else?

I said, look at my skin?

All hell broke loose. But I stood by my conviction. If there were layoffs, I would be the first and if they did that, I had metrics and performance reviews to back it up and sue them and they knew it and hated it. I was instilled to work harder than anyone because you can never and I say NEVER trust the white man if you were black.

We will never get equality because in the eyes of most whites we are inferior, so I work harder to dismiss that notion and why the government interferes in trying to level the playing field.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-26-2014), The Chosen One (04-25-2014), zitothebrave (04-25-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I love when white people cry about affirmative action.

Let me tell y'all what it's like, being male middle class and white. It's a bitch if you don't believe.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post

Second part of this quote.

Yes the parents is one of the reasons.

Yes school location and teachers is another reason.

But there is nothing we can do when our black president doesn't even address the issue of single mothers, deadbeat dads, black on black crime and plummeting job rate. If I were president I would address our country woes, not Abomination care and fast and furious or foreign engagement but fix segments in society that is hurting. Without infrastructure you are the problem. This is why I despise our president like no other. He has done literally nothing to uplift our race except the badge of being a president. He got our votes and the said "ha ha suckers, I knew you would vote for me" and then he just ignored us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I love when white people cry about affirmative action.

Let me tell y'all what it's like, being male middle class and white. It's a bitch if you don't believe.
    You compete against people like me, college educated blacks and I will get the job and you won't. Similar skills and education but I would get it. I understand. Sorry if I get those extra points, but I feel you.

But you have to blame your KKK induced idiots who still think blacks are second class citizens. We are in the year 2014 and we still have people with those thoughts and they pass it down to their kids and they still have that notion. Yes we have our hood rats and an incompetent president to reign them in, but we need a strong black leader to tell them to stop this crap but I am afraid that will never happen. Obama supposed to be that leader and he is limp dick piece so crap in my eyes. Not even trying to address our issue, so this broken record will keep skipping on our plight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I've only ever lost one job to someone who's black, hispanic, whatever. Your'e right someone who works as hard as me may beat me out for a position. But no one works as hard as me. I've killed myself for gigs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I've only ever lost one job to someone who's black, hispanic, whatever. Your'e right someone who works as hard as me may beat me out for a position. But no one works as hard as me. I've killed myself for gigs.
    That is what I am saying. I love that job and I would not let the man take me down.

On a peer review I was last and management was like they hate you because you make them look bad. I just shrugged my shoulders. I had a daughter in Germany that had a very high private school bill to support, so I did what I needed to do to take care of her and any other ailments she had like braces and what not.

WHen I left the company they wanted to give me a raise to keep me there and I said I am not leaving because of work, I am leaving because I am marrying my now wife and she is a CPA and does not want to leave where she lives and try to start over.

It worked out great in the end. But I sure do miss that company and my friends but a great place to work and they do take care of you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    For real though, people who complain about affirmative action should maybe work a little harder. Sure some people get jobs they don't deserve who're black, hispanic, veterans, etc. but so do many other white people.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    For real though, people who complain about affirmative action should maybe work a little harder. Sure some people get jobs they don't deserve who're black, hispanic, veterans, etc. but so do many other white people.
    sense of entitlement in reverse.

You would make a good black person that is for sure except we can't brew like you can. I truly suck at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Lol, just got my brewing equipment up in NH. I was gonna make a mead this weekend but the homebrew shop up here won't be open when I'm done work til teusday so I'll have to go then adn brew tuesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Here's the basic truth, if you're not a thin or athletic built attractive white person, you have to bust your ass to stand out. I'm fat and intimidating, that doesn't bode well for many things that people don't desire in an ideal candidate. So I have to outwork everyone.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    it's great in theory

going to put this here though cause being white is a HUGE advantage: