Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts

Stadium Suggestions?

Braves execs visited New York to look at Yankee Stadium for possible ideas and inspirations for their new stadium. They also chatted with Falcons' front office about plans for their new stadium as well. What would you like to see to make the stadium stand out?

For me, like the huge baseball glove at AT&T Park (San Francisco), I would LOVE to see a huge Tomahawk either in left field or right field about the same distance from homeplate as San Fran. Not sure if the Atlanta skyline would have that much visibility that far away from downtown, but you could have it opened up past the outfield. I'd like to have a Monument Park type of thing somewhere like Yankee Stadium. We have built a lot of history in the last few decades.

As far as seating arrangements goes, I actually find Turner Field to be very nice in this department. It's not like Citizens' Bank and Pitt where there's a high wall somewhere and then short porches too. Turner Field the walls and outfield dimensions are almost identical from foul pole to foul pole and the height of the fence is normal too.

Also, while I'm not a fan of unnecessary jumbo jumbo trons (Falcons are apparently going to install one bigger than the Jerrytron in Dallas), maybe have a giant tomahawk in the outfield with the jumbotron inside the tomahawk? Kind of like the Royals huge crown in centerfield of Kauffman.

I hope they don't have a short porch for our lefties just because. Freeman and Heyward won't be here forever, so that advantage would only be there for so long. I would prefer we keep a neutral dimensioned field like Turner, with just the aesthetics around the park be the major upgrades.

Apparently they're adding in a thousand new luxury suites, and the foul territory is going to be smaller and seats around home plate are going to be closer.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Well CBP and PNC are generally regarded as some of the best stadiums in baseball. Emulating them isn't a bad idea.

That said the new braves stadium won't be following the same build idea of CBP and PNC because they're not building it on or near the old stadium to get that old time feel. But they can emulate that in a different way.

Your ideas about tomahawk and tomahawk jumbotron are simply kitsch. Not good ideas at all.

I discussed this before in many threads on this board, the old board, and the board you should not name. Basically the key things to have is stuff for kids to like/do. Meaning games (baseball arcade is an idea I've loved where you basically have kids in an airconditioned room and slowly suck money from them through a token system, they can redeem won tickets for prizes that are effectively Braves advertisements) attractions and food for kids. You also need to offer fancier fair for adults. Burgers, dogs, and fries may be enough for the kiddies, but the parents will want more It will be a crime if there isn't a BBQ place in the only ball park close to BBQ country. Keep the deal with Holman and Finch, and so on so forth. Keep the common fare, keep the ****ty beer, but have upscale offerings in both beer and food. Of course the seating has to be there as well. I'd also recommend for atlanta having places where one can go with Air Conditioning. Maybe open a bar or 2 in the park with AC and TVs and a view of the field as well.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I like PNC, with the exception of the mini green monster in right field. My pet peeve is the outfield fences should be consistent from foul pole to foul pole. Green Monster is the Green Monster in Fenway. Leave it at that. Citizen's Bank is a decent stadium for that team. Our franchise is more old school by the book tradition which I appreciate which is why I don't want it too look too modernized.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    I like PNC, with the exception of the mini green monster in right field. My pet peeve is the outfield fences should be consistent from foul pole to foul pole. Green Monster is the Green Monster in Fenway. Leave it at that. Citizen's Bank is a decent stadium for that team. Our franchise is more old school by the book tradition which I appreciate which is why I don't want it too look too modernized.
    But old school is odd angles. The symmetrical parks were from the 70s with the 2 sport stadiums. Only a handful of classic stadiums were symmetrical or close like Shibe Park and Commiskey. Most like the Polo Grounds, Sportsman's Park, Forbes Field, and Ebbets field had some noticeable porches.

The best stadiums being PNC is that way for a reason, Pirates are very much an old school organization and their field embraces their past and looks to the future. That's the key. The Atlanta past in terms of stadiums kinda sucks. I wouldn't break the bank trying to be like the Ted or FCS. I'd build a stadium that's good to watch the game in and good to play in.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    So what's wrong with having outfield fences like Turner Field?

Everything else beyond the bleachers is a different story, but I don't want short porches.
    Forever Fredi