Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Braves trade Floyd?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Should Braves trade Floyd?

They are trying to put some kind of sensible decision together, but the only thing that makes sense and is fair to everyone is that Floyd is shipped elsewhere (if he checks out OK, his return should be decent) and you move Hale into the bullpen as your long man, bumping Schlosser (who is getting stale) to Gwinnett to put some innings together as a starter.

The trick is to rest Wood every now and again, saving his innings and getting Hale a start. I know a six-man rotation isn't in the offing, but making it virtually the same allows the younger arms some down time.

They might be able to do the same thing by sending Hale down and recalling him for virtually the same role as above. But it would be a crying shame to punish him for being the youngest, least experienced guy in the major's best rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    No way. The only way we move someone from the rotation is if we have needs at the deadline. That added depth from Floyd/Harang is a god-send right now.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (04-28-2014), Hawk (04-27-2014), Heyward (04-27-2014), JohnAdcox (04-29-2014), jpx7 (04-27-2014), Krovahn (04-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I would lean towards yes but its hard to say without knowing what other teams think if him. I think he should get a showcase start or two before trading him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think Floyd is likely to perform better than Hale or Harang the rest of this year. I say likely. Anything is possible. But you have to make decisions based on the probabilities. I'd move Floyd back in the rotation in a week or two. Send Harang to the pen or trade him. Send Hale to AAA. I'd rather keep them all and preserve our pitching depth. Of course if another team made a very good offer for any of our players, we'd have to consider it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think Floyd is likely to perform better than Hale or Harang the rest of this year. I say likely. Anything is possible. But you have to make decisions based on the probabilities. I'd move Floyd back in the rotation in a week or two. Send Harang to the pen or trade him. Send Hale to AAA. I'd rather keep them all and preserve our pitching depth. Of course if another team made a very good offer for any of our players, we'd have to consider it.
    I pretty much agree with you, though I'd send Hale to the pen rather than AAA.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    If Floyd is Uggla's or Jason Heyward's new nickname, then yes, trade them away

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleBrave For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-27-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Harang's performance will likely slip and likely more than slip a bit, but will Floyd perform better? Further, who would trade for Floyd? He hasn't lit it up in Gwinnett, but we don't know what scouts see when he's pitching, so his performance numbers are likely somewhat immaterial. And if anyone would trade for Floyd, what could you expect in return?

I think Hale has an option remaining and the Braves will probably send him down, but I will be curious to see what they do with him once he gets to Gwinnett. He's been much more effective as a starter since moving pretty much exclusively to that role in 2012. Maybe he's a starter and not a reliever and moving him to the bullpen would be the wrong move altogether. If Hale could transition back to the bullpen, he'd likely be an upgrade over Varvaro and Schlosser.

I still can't figure out the harangue against Harang. He's done more than expected and I doubt we'd be in first place without him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Harang stays................................for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Hale has 3 option years left. So long as they keep him on the 40 man roster they can swap him between Atl amd Gwinnett as much as they want. I believe no option was used last year because he was never sent down after being called up.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Hale has 3 option years left. So long as they keep him on the 40 man roster they can swap him between Atl amd Gwinnett as much as they want. I believe no option was used last year because he was never sent down after being called up.
    Options are used when you get sent down after being added to the 40 man roster. He was added to the 40 man two off-seasons ago. So 1 option was used last year when he was sent down after spring training. He has 2 left.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    First off everyone knows you will need one or maybe 2 more starting pitchers sometime this season. Hale should be sent down and kept as a game ready starter. As far as Floyd brings up a curious situation. Is he down there because of injury and has a limited number of starts that can be made before being brought up or can he remain in the minors. If he HAS to be brought up then you use him as long relief until someone in the rotation has an injury or starts stinking up the place. Teheran, Santana, Minor and Wood should remain there all season without question unless injured, they are all that good. As long as Harang pitches well he has earned his spot, Floyd has not.

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    No.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    First off everyone knows you will need one or maybe 2 more starting pitchers sometime this season. Hale should be sent down and kept as a game ready starter. As far as Floyd brings up a curious situation. Is he down there because of injury and has a limited number of starts that can be made before being brought up or can he remain in the minors. If he HAS to be brought up then you use him as long relief until someone in the rotation has an injury or starts stinking up the place. Teheran, Santana, Minor and Wood should remain there all season without question unless injured, they are all that good. As long as Harang pitches well he has earned his spot, Floyd has not.
    That.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    For selfish reasons, there won't be any rush to activate Floyd. He just was sent to Gwinnett for a rehab assignment. Yours truly will be seeing then from May 13-19. So, hopefully, he'll get enough starts to see him pitch. Of course, that would include a report back here at the board!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    No. No. No.

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Our pitching depth isn't the greatest so trading Floyd would expose our pink underbelly

Creepy Lurking Stalker OkieBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'd say no as well. As stated by others already, that depth is going to come in handy. I'm not one of those people though that thinks that Harang is going to slip A LOT. Obviously he's not going to pitch like this forever but he's in the right situation and is healthy. If I were the GM, I would have this for my rotation once Minor and Floyd return.

Santana
    Teheran
    Harang
    Minor
    Floyd

Hale goes to AAA and Wood goes to the bullpen. Long term they make the Braves rotation for hopefully a long time but right now I don't see much of a choice in the short term. The trade deadline maybe but only if necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I never say no to anything. Not if it can help the team. But, I'd rather just give Wood some rest and monitor his workload.
    Natural Immunity Croc

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-29-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    No to trading Floyd. Harang situation will work itself out sooner rather than later and everyone will be screaming or Floyd

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    Our pitching depth isn't the greatest so trading Floyd would expose our pink underbelly
    Which, appropriately enough, is probably Aaron Harang.