Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the real Jason Heyward please stand up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    To me it's pretty clear that at this point in his career Jason is just a streaky player. I have no doubt if he stays healthy he will finish the year with pretty good offensive numbers, and great defense and base running. Making him a very valuable player. Worst case scenario we have a young, athletic, elite defensively RFer with decent offensive production. Best case scenario, Jason becomes more consistent as he gets older and we have an mvp candidate. Either way I'm happy to have him in Atlanta.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Trading places: Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman on divergent paths

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz30OwfIMmJ

When Heyward was a prospect, the consensus was that his swing, though slightly unorthodox, worked for him, so extreme was his talent. As it has turned out, the scout says, it is the one thing that has separated him from greatness, giving pitchers a clearly identifiable hole to attack. "He's easy to pitch to if you're willing to pitch inside," the scout said. "The ball he hits well is the ball out away from him. Anybody that pounds him in can get him. That's why Niese hit him: He went up and in, and Heyward's a diver. If pitchers pitch around him, on the outer half, he'll crush it. But power guys can get him out all day inside."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Trading places: Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman on divergent paths

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz30OwfIMmJ

When Heyward was a prospect, the consensus was that his swing, though slightly unorthodox, worked for him, so extreme was his talent. As it has turned out, the scout says, it is the one thing that has separated him from greatness, giving pitchers a clearly identifiable hole to attack. "He's easy to pitch to if you're willing to pitch inside," the scout said. "The ball he hits well is the ball out away from him. Anybody that pounds him in can get him. That's why Niese hit him: He went up and in, and Heyward's a diver. If pitchers pitch around him, on the outer half, he'll crush it. But power guys can get him out all day inside."
    I agree, he needs to move closer to the plate.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I agree, he needs to move closer to the plate.
    It seems like such an obvious fix. And Heyward has shown a willingness in the past to tweak his approach. Why isn't it being suggested?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Why are we punishing Jason for being in the bigs a season early?

Jason was called up a year early because there were no more internal options in addition to being "ready". Of wren hadn't signed Glaus then freeman likely would've had the job.

And Freeman being a 1b is expected to be slugging more than a corner outfielder.
    I'm not punishing Heyward. I just find it tragicomic that people keep rationalizing his uneven performance with excuses.

What Hawk has posted is pertinent. You work Heyward up-and-in/low-and-away and he's going to have problems. He hasn't adjusted and that tempers my optimism that he's going to be the guy some thought he would be when he came up. He's still good, perhaps very good. But maybe what he showed us early is the best we're going to get. But I keep hearing a ton of odd arguments justifying his worth.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    So if Heyward moves closer to the plate he won't be as vulnerable to the inside pitch. Is that what I'm hearing?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So if Heyward moves closer to the plate he won't be as vulnerable to the inside pitch. Is that what I'm hearing?
    Not inside, outside.

Teams can pitch him away, and he'll K or ground out to 2nd.

Not saying move right next to the plate but a few inches closer can surely help.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Yeah, I don't get it. You don't tell a "diver" to stand on the plate unless you completely revamp his approach.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Not from me. I think that if he's going to stand that far off the plate, he's going to have to learn to hit to the opposite field with authority. To me, his weakness is he still rolls over on low/outside pitches and hits ground balls to second base.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Another thing is Heyward cannot hit off speed pitches. At all.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Not from me. I think that if he's going to stand that far off the plate, he's going to have to learn to hit to the opposite field with authority. To me, his weakness is he still rolls over on low/outside pitches and hits ground balls to second base.
    As I process it, the closer you are to the plate the need to dive is basically eliminated. It's an easier approach than telling a 'diver' to quit reaching out, as that seems to be a more ingrained mechanical issue.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    As I process it, the closer you are to the plate the need to dive is basically eliminated. It's an easier approach than telling a 'diver' to quit reaching out, as that seems to be a more ingrained mechanical issue.
    That would be true as well. If he stands closer to the plate (and ,not dive) he could still be a pull hitter and the low/outside wouldn't kill him the way it is killing him now. But I think he needs to make some adjustment.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Is this a success chart for Heyward or a simple location chart showing what he's been thrown? Is the "heat" color simply an indication of location irrespective of the result of the pitch?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    But maybe what he showed us early is the best we're going to get.
    You might be right, but you might not: that's my point. It's still April of this season, and yet a whole lot of posters seem prepared to judge not just Heyward's 2014, but the whole of his future prospects, on only what we know so far.

He's still quite young; while he's had some health issues, in between he's had some fairly productive stretches with the bat (I'm not even crediting his defense, speed, et cetera); and, while he's obviously had a pretty terrible offensive start to this season, said season is still in its first month. Given all that, I just don't understand the need for the near-constant bemoaning about his play heretofore.

Like I've said a few times recently: I think we'll know a lot more about Jason Heyward after this season, provided he isn't beset with anymore serious injuries. If he finishes with a poor 2014, I still won't necessarily be ready to give up on him, but I'll be much more sympathetic to these "bust" appraisals of his long-term outlook.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Heyward stood this far from the plate his rookie year correct? He was driving home runs opposite field and hitting line drive singles the other way. Maybe it's swing mechanics as to why he's pulling off so much. I may need to have a talk with him.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Heyward stood this far from the plate his rookie year correct? He was driving home runs opposite field and hitting line drive singles the other way. Maybe it's swing mechanics as to why he's pulling off so much. I may need to have a talk with him.
    But again (and again and again and again), the opponents scout and continue to scout guys for their possible weaknesses. It's a game of on-going adjustments and all I'm saying is he doesn't appear to be making many (if any).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-30-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    You might be right, but you might not: that's my point. It's still April of this season, and yet a whole lot of posters seem prepared to judge not just Heyward's 2014, but the whole of his future prospects, on only what we know so far.

He's still quite young; while he's had some health issues, in between he's had some fairly productive stretches with the bat (I'm not even crediting his defense, speed, et cetera); and, while he's obviously had a pretty terrible offensive start to this season, said season is still in its first month. Given all that, I just don't understand the need for the near-constant bemoaning about his play heretofore.

Like I've said a few times recently: I think we'll know a lot more about Jason Heyward after this season, provided he isn't beset with anymore serious injuries. If he finishes with a poor 2014, I still won't necessarily be ready to give up on him, but I'll be much more sympathetic to these "bust" appraisals of his long-term outlook.
    I'm not saying he's a bust. He's still a valuable player. But he appears to have a problem remedying what the opposition is seeing as his weaknesses. Maybe he's one of those hot weather players who is going to struggle early before establishing his groove.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Is this a success chart for Heyward or a simple location chart showing what he's been thrown? Is the "heat" color simply an indication of location irrespective of the result of the pitch?
    sheer number of pitches in each zone.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    sheer number of pitches in each zone.
    So in other words, they work him away, with a concentration on low and away.