Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

MINORS THREAD 4/30: Day games, short schedule Wednesday

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett, idle.

CLASS AA

Mississippi 5, Jacksonville 1

WP: Northcraft (2-1) 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6K.
    E. Reyes 2-4, HR (1st), 2 R, RBI. (.383)
    Loman 1-4, HR (5th), 2 RBIs.
    Rohm 2-3, 3B, 2 RBI.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg, idle.

CLASS A

Asheville 12, Rome 7

LP: Ubiera (0-4) 2.1 IP, 6 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.
    Perez 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
    Oliver 1-5, HR (1st), 3 RBIs.
    Luna 2-4, R.
    E. Garcia 2-5, R.
    A.J. Kirby-Jones 1-4, HR (1st), 2 RBIs.

ANOTHER SHAKEUP:

Chris Constantino, Jared Dettman deomoted from Rome to Danville; Alejandro Piloto, Colby Holmes demoted to Rome from Lynchburg. Lay Batista sent from Miss. to Lynchburg. David Carroll promoted from Rome to Lynchburg.
    Braves sign A.J. Kirby-Jones (Padres 2013), on the day before he was scheduled to report to his Indy league team. Attended Tennessee Tech, prepped in Knoxville. A.J.'s given first name is Antwon.
    Left-hander Eric Berger was assigned to Miss. Released by Oakland (AAA) on April 10; had good year for Astros AAA in 2013 (6-3, 1 save, 3.06 in 44 games). In the meanwhile, got married. Berger once sported a Rollie Finger-class 'stache:

Last edited by rico43; 04-30-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Could Elmer Reyes be the next Martin Prado? Reyes can is a much better IF defender than Prado but hitting wise they seem to be on similar mL paths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Could Elmer Reyes be the next Martin Prado? Reyes can is a much better IF defender than Prado but hitting wise they seem to be on similar mL paths.
    Prado was a better hitter in the minors accounting for age and level. What is intriguing about Reyes is his arc of development last year and so far this year. A year ago, I would have put his odds of playing in the majors at less than 50%. Those odds have gone up a lot. I will say I was impressed by his athleticism when I saw him in spring training last year.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    It's time to welcome Aaron Northcraft back to list of bona fide prospects. He followed a four-inning, two-hit, no-run stint with today's five innings of shutout ball. THe disastrous AFL season was followed by an ugly time in camp in spring training, but his only real injury was a thumb problem, so he should be strong going forward. He's got the size: 6-4, 230. One more weapon in the arsenal.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't think so. I've always liked Reyes more than others, but I think he's a back-up IF. Could be a starting SS in the right situation, which isn't Atlanta with Simmons under contract.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Prado was a better hitter in the minors accounting for age and level. What is intriguing about Reyes is his arc of development last year and so far this year. A year ago, I would have put his odds of playing in the majors at less than 50%. Those odds have gone up a lot. I will say I was impressed by his athleticism when I saw him in spring training last year.
    I agree but he's much better defensively than Prado so his defense alone should get him to the show but if his bat continues to improve he could take the Prado/Infante type path where he starts in Super Utility role and then finds a home somewhere.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I agree but he's much better defensively than Prado so his defense alone should get him to the show but if his bat continues to improve he could take the Prado/Infante type path where he starts in Super Utility role and then finds a home somewhere.
    I get what you're saying and I think Reyes is going to spend some time in the bigs. Whether it's Atlanta or elsewhere remains to be seen.

But people tend to forget that Omar Infante was a big league regular at age 22 (100 starts at 2B for the Tigers). He slid into the utility role after that and subsequently become a regular again.