Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This team is HORRIBLE!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts

This team is HORRIBLE!

No other way to explain it. Too many incompetent hitters that are free swingers and have terrible comprehension of the strike zone. A bullpen that has been the best in baseball over the past few, has no reliable options outside of Kimbrel. Terrible defensively at key positions outside of RF and SS. The worst in game decision maker in the game in Fredi who has absolutely no clue.

The only chance you stand at even remotely winning games here and there is that the starters need to go out there and pitch 7-8 innings of shutout or 1 run baseball, and even though, besides the last week, that's what we have gotten out of our rotation, that is too much to ask for. We're asking that out of a career journeyman that is inconsistant, a group of young studs that are capable but shouldn't be put into that situation and it will wear on them, and a piece of garbage that should be released or put in the pen to be an innings eater.

This team will be out of first place in no time, and be lucky to finish fourth in the division.
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 05-03-2014 at 11:15 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

gtcway (05-03-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Can we ban this guy for a week?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (05-03-2014)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    It's pretty much the same team as last year, they will win 90 or more games.

Welcome to the game of baseball where teams go through slumps.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-05-2014), jpx7 (05-05-2014), TomahawkCult (05-03-2014), UNCBlue012 (05-06-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    You should post more Matt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You should post more Matt
    Wish I could, I've been really busy lately. Just don't have the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The offense is concerning to me.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    I understand. I get that way too a lot.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Walden isn't a legit bullpen arm?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quit posting all these pictures on facebook then.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The offense is concerning to me.
    I'm not too concerned with it. Heyward and CJ are really the only two under performing to what one would expect entering the year. You knew Uggla and BJ would be bad. And Heyward has been hitting better lately (BJ too for that matter). So really what we need to do is replace Uggla and let them team just work itself out of it. Heyward will hit. CJ will be at worst league average. BJ you hope can get back there. All you can do really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Quit posting all these pictures on facebook then.
    I don't, my girlfriend does, lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (05-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    What's sad is, I know this isn't your first season watching baseball. It's pretty shocking you have to react like this to a team going through a rough patch.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (05-03-2014), TomahawkCult (05-03-2014), yeezus (05-03-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    It's pretty much the same team as last year, they will win 90 or more games.

Welcome to the game of baseball where teams go through slumps.
    BS! The starting pitching may be slightly better, but in no shape or form does the bullpen recognize anything we had last year, or the last 3-4 years for that matter. Avilian is really struggled and has struggled since August of last year, Carpenter was a career journeyman before his magic last year, we don't have an O'Flaherty to bridge the game to Kimbrel, and Walden is a legit arm but inconsistant and I just don't know if he can hold up an entire season with a large workload. Compound that with Fredi being absolutely atrocious so far with his usage of the pen and basically becoming Tony LaRussa and using 3 pitchers per inning and not being able to figure out that most of our pitchers have reverse splits.

And losing McCann hurt big time. Too many righties in the lineup, and too many free swingers. McCann was perfect compliment in that regard. Our best lineup was when McCann and Gattis were in the lineup at the same time, now we only have Gattis and he is basically only playing 3-4 games a week. CJ has regressed to more normal levels, had a career year last year. Uggla is Uggla, which is extreme garbage, but at least until mid July was capable of hitting a homer or 2 per week which we aren't getting, and he isn't walking. BJ is slightly better than last year but not when you look in the context that our best lineup last year was when he was not in the lineup.

Our bench is horrible, we got above average production and career years out of some guys, plus Gattis provided a huge spark when he wasn't starting the first two months of the season. In this regard, Doumit has done nothing. Pena and Schafer isn't getting lucky like last year, Pastornicky is what he is, a 25th man, Laird is a terrible bloop hitter and we don't have a veteran like Reed Johnson who even though he struggled last year, was still a capable and somewhat fear PH option late in games against a LHP.

Defensively we lost a lot with McCann. Gattis may call a good game, but he ain't Mac behind there either, and that is compounded again because Gattis is only out there 3-4 times a week so that means horrible options like Laird or Doumit are behind the plate for more innings. Uggla looks worse than ever at second, and the Upton brothers, especially Justin, aren't great fielders.

And did I mention that I thought over the last 2 years that Fredi I thought seemed like he improved and was at least an average in game manager. Seems like he has regressed big time and has decesion making is horrible.

And not to mention, Fletcher/Walker tandem needs to be fired. How someone so incapable at their job continue to keep it after failing year after year is baffling, especially when you consider Walker's history in Chicago.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Saving grace last year was playing in a really bad division and getting more games against bad teams. Might not have that luxury this season.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleBrave For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (05-03-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Saving grace last year was playing in a really bad division and getting more games against bad teams. Might not have that luxury this season.
    Or also being top 5 in pitching, hitting, and defense which I suspect will happen again this year.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

tomahawkchop10 (05-03-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Try taking the sand out of your vagina, that should help some. I could obliterate you point by point but arguing with a retard inly makes me dumber. Every year we have a few trolls like you who just wait for the braves to lose a few games that start their doomsday posts. The only thing you forgot was to say you had a feeling the nats were about to go on a roll. Since you think we will be lucky to finish 4th how about if we finish higher than thid you hang yourself.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Seriously, how long have you been watching baseball, OP? Can this topic be deleted? This is stupid.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (05-03-2014)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    No other way to explain it. Too many incompetent hitters that are free swingers and have terrible comprehension of the strike zone. A bullpen that has been the best in baseball over the past few, has no reliable options outside of Kimbrel. Terrible defensively at key positions outside of RF and SS. The worst in game decision maker in the game in Fredi who has absolutely no clue.

The only chance you stand at even remotely winning games here and there is that the starters need to go out there and pitch 7-8 innings of shutout or 1 run baseball, and even though, besides the last week, that's what we have gotten out of our rotation, that is too much to ask for. We're asking that out of a career journeyman that is inconsistant, a group of young studs that are capable but shouldn't be put into that situation and it will wear on them, and a piece of garbage that should be released or put in the pen to be an innings eater.

This team will be out of first place in no time, and be lucky to finish fourth in the division.
    Want to bet they finish first or second?

Bullpen and offense aren't very good, but the starting pitching will keep them in the race.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    How long does a losing streak have to extend before one of you threatens to slit a wrist?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (05-03-2014), The Chosen One (05-03-2014)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post

I don't believe you've ever graced up with your handle on the scout board. I thought I remembered all of the hand-wringers and pearl-clutchers over there.

If you have and I've missed it, I apologize. If you haven't, I'm intrigued.