Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Government is going too far with global warming message

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It's not impossible, though rather unlikely. But to attribute the drought and its affects on the economy solely to global warming with no evidence whatsoever is..... well lazy to be honest.

Could global warming have an impact on the drought itself? I could understand that argument. But those are two variables are independent. To say global warming is costing people money and jobs is hardly distinguishable.
    http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/s...ge-092914.html

California's ongoing drought could cost the state nearly $3 billion this year, and the steps being taken by farmers to keep their land irrigated could cause more problems down the line, a state university estimates.

Researchers from the Center for Watershed Sciences at the University of California-Davis, which has been monitoring the now 4-year-old drought, put the tab for 2015 alone at $2.7 billion. Farmers are leaving more than half a million acres unplanted this year — nearly 7 percent of the state's irrigated farmland. And they're pumping more groundwater to irrigate the fields they have tilled, a move that raises their costs and could create future shortfalls. The center estimates that 18,600 jobs have been lost due to the drought, which scientists say is the most severe to hit the region in over a millennium.

so, climate change/global warming can be linked to costing money, jobs and lost revenue
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-03-2015)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Seriously: pistachios are parching the state of California.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/s...ge-092914.html

California's ongoing drought could cost the state nearly $3 billion this year, and the steps being taken by farmers to keep their land irrigated could cause more problems down the line, a state university estimates.

Researchers from the Center for Watershed Sciences at the University of California-Davis, which has been monitoring the now 4-year-old drought, put the tab for 2015 alone at $2.7 billion. Farmers are leaving more than half a million acres unplanted this year — nearly 7 percent of the state's irrigated farmland. And they're pumping more groundwater to irrigate the fields they have tilled, a move that raises their costs and could create future shortfalls. The center estimates that 18,600 jobs have been lost due to the drought, which scientists say is the most severe to hit the region in over a millennium.

so, climate change/global warming can be linked to costing money, jobs and lost revenue
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/08/opinio...ornia-drought/

[I]Is the California drought a consequence of climate change? A recent National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration report for which my colleague Richard Seager was lead author, argued that it isn't (though the authors acknowledge that global warming makes the drought worse by increasing evaporation from the soil). California, and southwestern North America, indeed saw worse "megadroughts" in the pre-Columbian past, long before any humans burned fossil fuels. [/I]
    Last edited by Carp; 06-04-2015 at 02:27 AM.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    So,

To prove me and another study wrong that a horrible drought isn't affected by climate change and doesn't cost people jobs and hurt the economy

you link a study that says climate change makes droughts worse and prolonging them etc. (aka what is happening in California and is going to cost the state 3 billion and people jobs)

Weird

Also, you cherry picked the **** out of that article since the line before it is talking about climate change from people being a factor of the Syrian uprising and the next line that says " At the same time, the latest projections are that the odds of such megadroughts are increasing with warming."

Furthermore, if you go to the actual report it says "Nonetheless, record setting high temperature that accompanied this recent drought was likely made more extreme due to human-induced global warming."

I seriously have no idea how you were against my statement or what you are trying to argue at this point
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Also from the article:

So we're left with a complex picture, one typical of many extreme weather events. We know that human-induced climate change is increasing the risk that an event such as this will happen, while at the same time we can't strongly blame climate change for the specific event happening right now.

You missed the point of that article. It isn't that I think global warming can't have an affect. It's that it isn't the cause of the drought. Which is important since the drought is entirely the cause for the job,money loss you mentioned. I did mention the global warming could have an affect on the drought by the way. And it may have a smaller, indirect affect, but still the main cause is the drought itself which evidence suggests is natural, not man made.

You also said that the drought is part of climate change. Well, that isn't accurate either (or at the very least, there not sufficient evidence to make such a claim) and to blindly pass it off as a direct result of global warming is lazy.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...al-study-finds

“The conditions of the last three winters are not the conditions that climate change models say would happen,” Hoerling said. But he said La Niña, which is the cooler flip side of the warming of the central Pacific ocean, can only be blamed for about one-third of the drought. The rest of the causes can be from just random variation, he said.

"The report is not dismissive of global warming at all," said Marty Hoerling, a meteorologist at NOAA's Earth System Research Lab. "At the same time, drought is not a consequence of the warming planet to date."
    Last edited by Carp; 06-04-2015 at 06:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If only we addressed climate change before it became a very bad situation.....
    Natural Immunity Croc