Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cycle of Dependency

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

Cycle of Dependency

I'm seeing this story all over my facebook and all of the comments.

Link: One Family's Story Shows How The Cycle Of Poverty Is Hard To Break

So she "just ended up pregnant".... 3 times (you can possibly end up pregnant once or maybe even twice but by the third accidental pregnancy then someone needs to pull you aside and explain how that happens)... she is upset that her food stamps were cut by $500 just because she got a $730 increase in her SSI checks (at 24 years old)... and she isn't motivated to work because she'll lose benefits (her stated reason).

This is NPR, not Fox News yet people will still claim that incentives don't actually matter when it comes to people staying in poverty and that there is no "cycle of dependency".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (05-18-2014)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Let's take away her foodstamps so the kids (aren't conservatives all for protecting the kids who are innocent too, even if their parents make stupid decisions) can starve.

I personally can count about 20-25 people I know whom had parents on food stamps and received welfare assistance... a few are in med school now, a few are now teachers, a few are going to law school, and a few whom had to work a few years to help parents, went to college (some first time in their family), and are almost done. Black, white, mexican, asian... Not everybody makes it, even liberals know that. I think a good majority of the peeps I mentioned wouldn't have been able to go all the way, had their family not received some type of assistance.

If you want to promote using condoms, i'm all for it. Problem is you're going to run into people on the right going against the idea of promoting contraception.

Condoms aren't that expensive to produce... we should produce millions, and have them easily accessible for some people. Do you think that would be cheaper than welfare parents having more kids and getting more money?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    You missed the point

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    sturg, I see the point you're trying to make.

It's the same point you make on here, the same point you made in your post in the introductions thread. The same point you've been making for years.

You don't like welfare, you don't like social assistance. You don't believe in taxing those with higher incomes.

There are people and families who don't make it out of the cycle of dependency. But many have benefitted from it in a positive manner.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    she admitted that she doesn't want to find a job because she will lose gov't assistance. This is what we call dependency. This is not good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    But discussing with you is pointless, because you truly believe that it is people's responsibility to ensure others are taken care of, even when those folks admit to not being motivated to work as long as they're being taken care of

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I think she's borderline scumbag.

It's not her I care about though, the kids are 6,4, and 2.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Taken care of is really really a broad definition.

She's not exactly living in Beverly Hills driving a Mercedes Benz.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    I think she's borderline scumbag.

It's not her I care about though, the kids are 6,4, and 2.
    Agreed. And they will grow up fully dependent on a wellfare system, that they will probably one day need to continue

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Agreed. And they will grow up fully dependent on a wellfare system, that they will probably one day need to continue
    Hahaha. Way to write them off. As I told you from my own personal experience, I've known kids I went to Elem and Middle and High School with from the ghetto, parents were on welfare/food stamps, and now some are in med school, law school, teaching in a classroom, or almost done with college.

Just curious sturg without getting too personal, what kind of background were you raised in and what were the economic circumstances of your family?
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Sometimes the welfare/food stamps has a positive effect on a kid. They see it and don't want to grow up struggling like that, and it encourages them to go to school, as was the case for some of my friends and former classmates.

But of course, folks like you will write them off as a waste of space and will say they will all continue the trend of dependency.

Not everybody makes it. But to think every welfare child grows up and continues the "tradition" is very close-minded.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Hahaha. Way to write them off. As I told you from my own personal experience, I've known kids I went to Elem and Middle and High School with from the ghetto, parents were on welfare/food stamps, and now some are in med school, law school, teaching in a classroom, or almost done with college.

Just curious sturg without getting too personal, what kind of background were you raised in and what were the economic circumstances of your family?
    Grew up in a lower middle class family. Dad was a lifelong teacher, never making more than $40K a year. Mom didn't go to college, worked for the state government as basically a secretary and never made more than $40K a year.

I had to pay for my own car and pay for my own school. I worked as a cashier and mover since I was 15 to pay for all my stuff. I worked during college to help pay for my schooling.

My parents probably could have provided more for me, but my dad always told me I would appreciate what I had more if I worked for it. He was right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Sometimes the welfare/food stamps has a positive effect on a kid. They see it and don't want to grow up struggling like that, and it encourages them to go to school, as was the case for some of my friends and former classmates.

But of course, folks like you will write them off as a waste of space and will say they will all continue the trend of dependency.

Not everybody makes it. But to think every welfare child grows up and continues the "tradition" is very close-minded.
    LOL, I don't think "every welfare child grows up and continues the tradition". The stats are the stats. Ignoring them is irgnorant. The welfare has expanded exponentially.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Grew up in a lower middle class family. Dad was a lifelong teacher, never making more than $40K a year. Mom didn't go to college, worked for the state government as basically a secretary and never made more than $40K a year.

I had to pay for my own car and pay for my own school. I worked as a cashier and mover since I was 15 to pay for all my stuff. I worked during college to help pay for my schooling.

My parents probably could have provided more for me, but my dad always told me I would appreciate what I had more if I worked for it. He was right.
    How do you feel that both of your parents had taxpayer government jobs? (I'm assuming your dad was probably public school).
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Don't like it one bit

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Well then. I guess that about settles that.
    Forever Fredi

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    ronald reagan did pretty well for himself after his parents got welfare to survive

makes it even odder what the scumbag reagan did while he was president though but whatever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    ronald reagan did pretty well for himself after his parents got welfare to survive

makes it even odder what the scumbag reagan did while he was president though but whatever
    This has to be one of the most ignorant counter examples ever to be posted on this board. Congratulations.

Something almost a 100 years ago relative to today and the society we live in? Hilarious, to use the Reagans as a single example to disregard a very real event happening today... Interesting.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 05-12-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    This has to be one of the most ignorant counter examples ever to be posted on this board. Congratulations.

Something almost a 100 years ago relative to today and the society we live in? Hilarious, to use the Reagans as a single example to disregard a very real event happening today... Interesting.
    wasn't really a counter example. more just an observation

the thought that all on welfare will always be on welfare and their kids etc etc is absurd

19% of people stay on it for more than 5 years.

you want to talk about those 19%, i am down to try to lower that number but don't give me one story and act like that is welfare for everyone. just like ronald and his family isn't the story for everyone

21. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

57Brave (05-13-2014)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Only 19% of people on welfare are on for over five years? That's bull****.