Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AJC Article: "Braves hitting coach: There’s no excuse for us being this bad"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

AJC Article: "Braves hitting coach: There’s no excuse for us being this bad"

Anyone got AJC insider that can read this article? I think most of us would probably appreciate it.
    Ivermectin Man

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    If you don't think they should be this bad, make them better or resign. I have a problem with people receiving paychecks when they aren't doing their job.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Meh.

I think the hitting coaches have all told the players to stop swinging early and make the pitchers work.

Whether or not the players go up there and do it is another story. Perfect example is CJ being one of our best contact hitters... CJ swings at first pitch on Wednesday and pops out to shallow right without advancing the runner.

The most frustrating thing with our team has been striking out too much, and having quick at bats.

There's nothing the coaches can do about striking out tbh. Hitters take they think is a ball, they K. They swing and miss not coaches' fault.
    Forever Fredi

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    As a 12 yr old way back in the last century, the first thing a coach taught me was backside hitting. Havent seen much of that from the Braves since Prado left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    As a 12 yr old way back in the last century, the first thing a coach taught me was backside hitting. Havent seen much of that from the Braves since Prado left.
    Whoa whoa whoa. What are you exactly accusing Prado of?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    If you don't think they should be this bad, make them better or resign. I have a problem with people receiving paychecks when they aren't doing their job.
    Baseball is a fairly results oriented business. That's why Pendleton and Parrish are no longer our batting coaches. That's why Uggla is no longer getting games.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Wait a minute. I thought that was Mark Lemke, not Prado.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Baseball is a fairly results oriented business. That's why Pendleton and Parrish are no longer our batting coaches. That's why Uggla is no longer getting games.
    But we actually had good offenses under TP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    But we actually had good offenses under TP.
    In retrospect yeah. But when he was the batting coach, everyone was upset over his inability to fix Francoeur and Andruw.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    It still bugs me that the Braves once had Don Baylor as hitting coach, but wouldn't pay him.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-19-2014), BoneThrower (05-17-2014), bravesnumberone (05-16-2014), JohnAdcox (05-17-2014), Julio3000 (05-16-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    In retrospect yeah. But when he was the batting coach, everyone was upset over his inability to fix Francoeur and Andruw.
    Not me. I was probably his biggest defender all of those years. It was amazing to me that we consistently had one of the better offenses in the NL during his tenure, yet everyone wanted him gone.

Andruw had his best season under TP. Unfortunately, TP couldn't fix his knees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    It still bugs me that the Braves once had Don Baylor as hitting coach, but wouldn't pay him.
    Me as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I wish management would listen to you. Well said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Anyone got AJC insider that can read this article? I think most of us would probably appreciate it.
    same quotes basically on MLB.com (free). I'm somewhat encouraged as I was afraid they didn't think there was a problem or couldn't explain what was going on. They see we are failing to differentiate between balls and strikes which IS the problem (swinging at balls and looking at strikes). Walker is at least addressing the problem, no talk of "we're just in a slump" which would make me want to strangle him.

So we're halfway there, now start to fix the problem. Baby steps, but the past 10 games have been better than the ten before that.

Glad to see the Braves made the hitting coach available to the press to address the issue. A little scrutiny can't hurt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I'm not the type to really blame the hitting coach. Sure, they can help players work through a mechanical flaw in their stance, and review video with the players to get a feel for upcoming pitchers. But really, if a player makes it to the majors, they know how to hit. It's not up to the hitting coach to tell them to take a ball and tell them what a strike is. Really, we just have too many flawed players, which seem to be the flaw of exactly the same kind with each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    When a player just sucks, the problem is most likely with them. When a player just sucks with the Braves, the problem is most likely something to do with the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I'm not the type to really blame the hitting coach. Sure, they can help players work through a mechanical flaw in their stance, and review video with the players to get a feel for upcoming pitchers. But really, if a player makes it to the majors, they know how to hit. It's not up to the hitting coach to tell them to take a ball and tell them what a strike is. Really, we just have too many flawed players, which seem to be the flaw of exactly the same kind with each.
    If that is the case, why waste money on them by paying them? They bring nothing to the table. That extra pay can pay Uggla to go away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But your last sentence implies an organizational problem. Maybe the coaches, or maybe Wren's bias for low contact "power" hitters.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    The problem is Frank Wren. Why anyone builds a team from top to bottom with all or nothing hitters that will strike out a lot and usually feast on the less than starting pitchers is beyond me. Frank Wren is the one that should be answering the questions, not the hitting coach. Most of these guys were what they are long before he started working with them.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-17-2014), Braves1976 (05-17-2014), NinersSBChamps (05-17-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    The problem is Frank Wren. Why anyone builds a team from top to bottom with all or nothing hitters that will strike out a lot and usually feast on the less than starting pitchers is beyond me. Frank Wren is the one that should be answering the questions, not the hitting coach. Most of these guys were what they are long before he started working with them.
    I am not, nor ever have I been, a fan of Frank Wren.